Stock wheel's weight and capacity? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Stock wheel's weight and capacity?

failuretostop
10-25-2003, 12:40 PM
After searching, I can't find the weight and the capacity for the stock rims.

Anybody know?

Montster
10-27-2003, 01:37 AM
do a search for the Goodyear official address. You should find something there coresponding to your tires. Keep in mind that changing the ratio to larger tires can increase your weight capacity a tad. However it may change the geometry of the vehicle.
:D

failuretostop
10-27-2003, 02:46 AM
Actually I am interested in the specs for the rims. Not the tires.

skijet
10-28-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm not exactly sure why you would want to know the capacity of the rims, but belive me. By the time you overload the rims, there will be more than enough other things wrong with your vehicle. Lets just say its impossible to overload the rims...tires will blow, frames will bend, you get the point.

failuretostop
10-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Well the whole point is to find out what aftermarket rims are 1) compatible with the E and 2) which aftermarket rims will likely perform better than the stock wheels.

Sure you can get any 5x114.3 wheel. But you need to know if that wheel can hold the E's weight. If you aren't close to the stock rims's load capacity you are asking for trouble. Hence why I want to know what the stock rim's load capacity is.

After getting that figure, all other things equal, the lighter the wheel the better the performance. So sure, you can get a rim that is as strong as the stock alloys and is 5x114.3 but if it weighs more, all other things equal, it will decrease the HP to the wheels and will slow down your acceleration and will most likely decrease your MPG since the engine has to work harder for the same thing.

So by getting the right wheels you can get 1) better handling, 2) better gas mileage and 3) faster acceleration.

I'm kind of surprised that nobody knows. I've posted this question on hondaelement.org and nobody knows there as well.