Vibration [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Vibration

Al Clark
10-28-2003, 07:51 PM
I have a late 2003 Element I purchased Sept. 13, 2003. It has about 2500 miles on it. I like the mini-SUV a lot. However, I recently took it on a trip to the Smokie Mountains and while driving on the Interstate at 65 mph or over, I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel that can also be felt faintly in the seats/floors. This is a low frequency vibration, almost like a low-level shudder, that comes and goes continuously at 4 or 5 second intervals (estimated). If you listen carefully you can also hear it. It's almost like driving over a highway that has tranverse grooves cut in it for water run-off. I don't think it's tire balance, because the frequency is higher than that. I'm wondering if it is tire tread combined with a resonant frequency in the front suspension? The tires on mine are the Goodyear Wranglers (EX Element). Has anyone else experienced this vibration? Do you know what the fix is? It occurs on any highway, but is slightly more pronounced on older road surfaces. Al Clark

Staggie
10-28-2003, 08:41 PM
It could be a mis-alignment issue. Some members have reported problems with wheel alignment at time of delivery. I haven't had a similar with my E now at 6300 miles.

letmedance
10-29-2003, 01:07 AM
sounds like wheel balance. You might have thrown a balance weight.

DFerrara
12-14-2003, 12:34 AM
I just bought my Element (Dec 2003) & noticed the same issue, there is a vibration noise when I am at speeds above 60 mph, the sound is low & you can feel the vibration on the floor & through the arm rest. The vibration only occurs for about 5-10 seconds. I have not taken it to the dealer yet because I was not sure if it was the noise is coming from the road surface or the Element.

Has anyone found a solution that fixes this issue?

DFerrara
12-18-2003, 07:51 PM
I still have not found a solution for this issue, is it possible to contact the gentleman "Al Clark" who entered this thread? I would like to know if he is still having this issue or if he had success with a dealer fixing it?