Propopsal for new dog floor accessory [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Propopsal for new dog floor accessory

PatFish
11-19-2003, 03:31 PM
I have wirtten to Honda's R&D team with this suggestion ( letter below ) , and if other Element Dog People agree with me that it is a good idea I ask that you consider also writing to them. My dealership told me the address to write to and said they are very responsive to consumer suggestions.
11/19/03
American Honda Motor Company
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501

Dear Product Planning Department,

I purchased a 2003 4WD drive Element 3 days ago from Vista Honda in Ventura, and am delighted with it. My major deciding factor to pick this vehicle was the ability to carry big dogs in the well-designed and spacious interior.

However, I have immediately noticed a need for an accessory that I want to suggest that you manufacture.

When I read the online discussion on the Element Owners website I found that MANY people are successfully transporting dogs in their Elements. BUT they are all buying an additinal rubber mat to cover the floor in the back when the seats are raised SO THAT THE HOLES IN THE FLOOR DO NOT PRESENT A HAZARD FOR THEIR DOGS.

I first loaded my two Irish Wolfhounds into the car with two friends, and they all fit fine BUT with one seat down and one up there is a very dangerous hole in the floor that can cause the dog's foot to get caught, break a toe, or make them lose their balance. Laying down a rubber mat is not practical if only one seat is up, and defeats the purpose of the marvelous non-slip flooring you have standard.

MY SUGGESTION IS that you produce hard rubber molded plugs that come in a set, and slip down into those wells in the floor left when the seats are removed. They would be relatively small, could be sold to the dog owners to keep in the seat-back bungees and pulled out when needed.

Please consider producing this accessory and send me a prototype if you would like a field-test evaluation.

Pat Fish

Pimpn E
11-19-2003, 04:17 PM
That's not only an excellent idea for us dog owners, but for everyone that hauls things in their E's. This would stop the accumulation of dirt and debris in the holes that I'm sure will build up if someone is hauling say...bags of landscaping materials, potted plants, or just plain loading in muddy mtn bikes.

brendan
11-19-2003, 04:25 PM
That's a great idea!

One thing to correct: the floors are definitely not "non-slip"... :)

-brendan

lae10851
11-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Great Idea - Especially for people like me that have permanently removed the rear seats!

Amy

HappyCamper
11-19-2003, 08:26 PM
[quote:a2ba006361=" "]Great Idea - Especially for people like me that have permanently removed the rear seats!

Amy[/quote:a2ba006361]
Amy, you might be interested in the new item that Murdock Industries has. They're the people that sell the inserts for the dash trays and cup holders. They're now selling a full rubber back mat, designed for when the seats are up or removed.
http://honda.murdockindustrial.com/

PatFish
11-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks so much for the post about the cargo mat floor available ..... it looks super and I've ordered one. I was on my way to Home Depot to buy something........ NOW this will be as tech as the car, which I am describing to my friends as like driving a computer on wheels.
I am SOLD on the power of this online community to communicate!

HappyCamper
11-20-2003, 12:14 AM
[quote:b649388a6e=" "]Thanks so much for the post about the cargo mat floor available ..... it looks super and I've ordered one. I was on my way to Home Depot to buy something........ NOW this will be as tech as the car, which I am describing to my friends as like driving a computer on wheels.
I am SOLD on the power of this online community to communicate![/quote:b649388a6e]
You're welcome. Glad that you found and liked it. I bought their dash tray and cupholder liners and I'm pleased with like those. Post after you get your mat and let us know what you think of it.

bobcanini
11-24-2003, 08:55 PM
great idea. I'm glad you warned me about this problem. I didn't even think of it.

BlackdogStudios
11-24-2003, 10:45 PM
i went to SAM's and got a couple packs of that puzzle edged foam ( i used neutral grey) , and used 6 tiles to cut my own rear mat, its non skid. cleanable and adds some padding for my two newfoundland dogs, where the seat connection points are, I just saved the cut outs and plug those wells when i haul things or the pups ride. when seats are down, i leave the plugs in the holes. turned up on thier sides. they share ok with the seats. come in grey or black, or multicolour (green red yellow blue for you guys with little ones and/or multiple colour fixations. :D )

i originally heard homedepo carries this stuff too, but everywhere i went (several stores) it was out fo stock. lowe's only had multicolour packs.

at sam's one package of the stuff costs 15.99 has 8 tiles and borders. I used the extra to put anti fatigue mats in front of my workbenches. :D

best
D.

Dudly Dorite Mounty ptrl
11-25-2003, 11:29 PM
what make the best floor matting for the front cab
?

BlackdogStudios
11-25-2003, 11:57 PM
i have the honda all weather mats. easy to clean and they contain what i track in well. also i dont have to worry about them like carpet.

like em a lot
D.

Dudly Dorite Mounty ptrl
11-26-2003, 12:55 AM
"have the honda all weather mats. easy to clean and they contain what i track in well. also i dont have to worry about them like carpet."

thks Blackdog. Perhaps you have an aftermarket store that sells the all weather mats??

BlackdogStudios
11-26-2003, 08:30 AM
try http://www.handa-accessories.com they seem to sponsor this site. and from what i hear offer good prices and service. the all weather floor mats are a honda accessory made for the Element.

good luck!
best,
D.

Excited One
01-06-2004, 01:50 PM
I am a little late to respond to this thread but better late then never. I really like the cargo floor, it looks great. I recently got Jada, the Great Dane, and have also been moving in the E Haul so the back seats are up. Even though she is small enough to sleep in the passenger seat, I know that will not last long. I would hate for her to get her little paw caught in the groove so the cover might be an option. Plus like I said...It looks good!

BlackdogStudios
01-07-2004, 08:09 AM
15.99 at sams club, they have a puzzle edged foam padding. buy a pack of that. and ill show you how to make a nice doggie mat from it when we hook up. i did the same thing and it works great.

it comes in grey black or multi colour pack. (usually two sheets of red of green and of blue)

if you want to do it on your own. heres how.

take some butcher paper or large sheets of paper and join them with tape. lay them down on the floor of your E. then cut the paper out so it makes a pattern of the rear floor of your E.

join your 6 pieces of foam together (2 pieces wide by 3 long) so the finished edge (the foam comes with finishing ends) will lie at the tailgate. and the center seam goes down the middle.

take razor knife and cut foam so it matches the paper pattern and insert the finished mat onto E floorboard. it takes a little while and not much time to do.
and it will stop jada from skidding around on that floor.

what i have also heard that works pretty well is those nice thick rubber backed bathroom carpets . and those are washable and availible in colours. avail at target or walmart. .. (might even be able to join those with some carpet tape. )

note the all weather mats will not cover the connecting points for the rear seats when they are up. thats why i made mine from the foam, then made ports in the rubber and kept the cut outs. so i could plug those areas when my dogs ride with me.

best!

D.

kducky
01-23-2004, 06:58 PM
I haven't tried it yet but has anyone tried using the floral arranging foam blocks to cut/fit into the holes left from the seats being flipped up?
Right now I just use rags.
And to keep the grocery bags from sliding in the back I use 1. a collapsable cloth bag from Target and 2. under the bag a piece of Rubbermaid shelf liner.

zeeannie
03-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Excellent idea! A rubber mat was the first thing I bought for my E just to cover that hole. I have one very clumsy greyhound who would definitely break something getting caught in there. Keep us posted...

Soapy
03-20-2009, 10:19 PM
You might like this from one of our sponsors:

[URL="http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/accessories.htm"]