Important Notice about the 2009 Combo Meets [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Important Notice about the 2009 Combo Meets

T Mac
12-21-2008, 01:44 AM
As you know, the 2009 combo meet is going to be a bunch or regional of area meets rather than one large, single-location meet.

This seems to be causing a lot of headache and heart ache for a lot of people due to the coordination of the events/meets and trying to manage the differing opinions and wants for so many members.

It was never my intention for this to get people so frustrated and I want to point out a few things that may help (I hope).

First, if you have one group who wants to camp and another who wants to stay in a hotel, why not let each group do what they want? Try to have a daytime activity or two when everyone can get together. That is what we have done with the large national meets because so many have an opinion one way or the other. It is not a requirement for everyone to be together at all times.

Secondly, while I'm hoping that each region can put together a meet of their own, it is not a requirement. In fact, if you end up having a few mini-meets within your region, it's not a problem. Right? It will be more fun for you with more people there, so it's best if you can find a place where most people will want to participate. But if you can't agree, you can always have multiple groups meeting at different places.

This is supposed to be fun. If it becomes work, maybe we shouldn't do these. With that being said, I'm taking 2009 off from any meet planning because last year's event prep made me ill. There is a ton of preparation and coordination that takes place and you would be amazed at how many people want to tell you that (1) you chose the wrong place, (2) you chose the wrong weekend, (3) you chose the wrong weather, (4) the hotel has lumpy beds and it's your fault. (Okay, that last one was not true, but close.)

I'm saying this to indicate that meet preparation is not easy. Many of you who have held meets already know this. People get their feelings hurt and you simply cannot make everyone happy. So, do your best but let's all remain friends when this is done. If you have a group in your area and you want to meet somewhere else rather than what the other group is doing - DO IT. You make your fun.

The idea is to have so many Honda Element, Ridgeline and CR-V owners together in the same weekend all over that the number will be incredible and the stories and pics will be even better.

Some of you are trying to plan some major activities for your meets and that is great. But, just understand that it's not a requirement. Again, keep these things fun and don't make yourself sick over it. Trust me, it's no fun.

Stay classy, EOC! ;)

facehapy
12-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Great said T Mac and sorry to hear about the frustration in co-ordinating past combo events. You definitely did not deserve to get sick over such a matter.

The best word to make any events successful is "comprimise".

JSm00thJaZ3
12-21-2008, 10:52 AM
T Mac,

Thanks for all you do. Planning for anything takes a lot of time and effort. Trust me I know. So Cal is trying to plan for this Combo Meet and some of the things you point out in your post is starting to come to fruition. I like the idea of a one day event, and I will advocate for this. It just may not be to affordable to stay anywhere these days due to the state of the economy. Thanks again T Mac for your words of wisdom.

JSm00th

T Mac
12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
If you make the event run over the entire weekend...that's at least two days and possibly three. No reason why Saturday or Sunday could not be the "big day" when multiple mini-meets combine in one area for a big, crazy drive or event. By doing that, the mini-meets can still keep their focus on whatever it is that group wants to do.

Good luck, Jeff and keep us posted.