seat belt won't buckle [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: seat belt won't buckle

kung
03-10-2009, 07:42 AM
The front passenger's seatbelt on my 03 won't buckle. I cannot see that there is anything wrong inside, but it simply won't grab. How does one replace the "female" end of the seatbelt? Can I get the parts through my dealer or is there a way to do it without being robbed blind?

Jackson49
03-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi Kung,

Looks as though you may have to replace the female side if the belt assembly. I am pretty sure you need to remove the seat assembly to do it because that part is fastened to the seat. First I would look into the female part and determine if the is something jammed in there preventing it from functioning properly. I have not heard of that part of the restraint system failing. Perhaps others can weigh in on this one as well.

Jackson:D

Brawsie
03-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Local import auto salvage prolly has one available.

mkh
03-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Local import auto salvage prolly has one available.

'cept you wouldn't want one that had been 'used' in an accident. That end-of-life's them, as they then could fail in a '2nd' accident.

Brawsie
03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
'cept you wouldn't want one that had been 'used' in an accident. That end-of-life's them, as they then could fail in a '2nd' accident.

Yeah, that's true. I would imagine that if there was any question with safety they wouldn't offer them. Either that or make sure your in-laws ride in that seat.:D

ramblerdan
03-10-2009, 10:48 AM
The inner (female) buckles aren't integral with the seat, but they are expensive little buggers. Yes, the automatic tensioner only works once, and I wouldn't trust a junkyard not to sell one that has deployed.

ncb
03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I might be wrong, but I thought the restraint system components were covered under warranty for several years. I don't have the warranty manual with me so I can't verify that.

lizzurd
03-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I might be wrong, but I thought the restraint system components were covered under warranty for several years. I don't have the warranty manual with me so I can't verify that.

I don't know if this covers just the seatbelt retractor or the buckle as well....but it is worth looking into.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/E10303/E10303O00321A.pdf

scorsone
03-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I would check with the dealer and Honda. My Nissan had a lifetime warranty on the seat belts. Failure of a restraint system is pretty major and needs to be reported to Honda. If there is a potential flaw it needs to be addressed. I haven't heard of this problem with the E before but you never know.

Some Mook
03-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda seat belts are covered by a limited lifetime warranty. The "limited" part means that if the seat belt fails to function because of external damage (like your dog chewed through the belt, or the vehicle was totalled or in a collision which caused damage to the belt) or internal failure as a result of foreign objects inside the buckle, it would not be covered.

If the belt fails to function properly, and there are no obvious "non-covered' reasons for the failure, the lifetime warranty would apply, no arguments or questions asked.

BC246T
03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
I had the same problem with the passenger side seatbelt in an F150 truck. Couldn't get it to latch then discovered a nickle had fallen down into the latching mechanism. Removed the nickle with tweezers and all is well.

Check for something in the latch before you go to the effort of ordering a new part, taking anything apart, or taking it to the dealer.

GaryS
03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
I had the same problem with the passenger side seatbelt in an F150 truck. Couldn't get it to latch then discovered a nickle had fallen down into the latching mechanism. Removed the nickle with tweezers and all is well.

Check for something in the latch before you go to the effort of ordering a new part, taking anything apart, or taking it to the dealer.

That would be my suggestion.