Tires [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Tires

wr70beh
12-07-2003, 03:14 PM
What's the best replacement tire out there for the Element? I'm not looking to get bigger wheels or aftermarket wheels so I'm not looking for 20's or anything like that. Just the standard 215/70/16 size. I was looking at the Duelers but according to tirerack.com their tread rating is about the same as the Wrangler HP's that are on there right now (that seem to be wearing out rather quickly). Any suggestions?

HappyCamper
12-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Here is a thread where the Goodyear Forteras are highly recommended. A search might show other threads on them as well. I think I will consider them when I'm ready to switch.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=18275&highlight=fortera#18275

chitownpete
12-09-2003, 08:11 PM
I just put some Pirelli Scorpion STR 215/70/16 on the front and they are a significant improvement over stock. They were $88 from the tirerack and have a 520AA rating and are H-rated. Much better than the lousy stock Goodyears but not enough for a 5 speed FWD if you like to floor it in 1st gear. Either way dump the stock Goodyears ASAP.

Billhaf
12-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi: I got some Nokian WR M+S 225/70/16s. They are a winter tire that can be used all year long. I have not had the chance to test their limits in snow yet (figures! has not snowed since I got them!).
I find they ride rough at highway speeds on uneven pavement.
I will keep the list posted as I drive them around.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

Bill from Bolton, Canada.

ghilber
12-31-2003, 07:12 AM
Per the tirerack website, the Yokahoma Geolander G051 has the best ratings. I just put a set of 225/70 16 on my E. The first think I noticed, and so did my family, is that the E does not bounce as much as it use to. You still feel the bump, but you don't get the front to back bounce. The only think I can think of is that the stock tires had a very soft sidewall. Should be interesting to see how they do in the snow. Being is south east Wisconsin, I thought we would have had snow by now, but no luck.

cdubea
12-31-2003, 10:26 AM
Per the tirerack website, the Yokahoma Geolander G051 has the best ratings. I just put a set of 225/70 16 on my E. The first think I noticed, and so did my family, is that the E does not bounce as much as it use to. You still feel the bump, but you don't get the front to back bounce. The only think I can think of is that the stock tires had a very soft sidewall. Should be interesting to see how they do in the snow. Being is south east Wisconsin, I thought we would have had snow by now, but no luck.

Can you possibly provide a photo of the mounted tire? When I do a tire replacement, the Geolander's would be my first choice. Overall what is your impression compared to the stock Wranglers? How does the road noise compare? Is wet performance any better? The stock tires are pretty miserable in wet performance. It rains a LOT down here in Louisiana (doesn't snow much though ;>) so wet performance is really important to me.

Thanks in advance,

Einstein
12-31-2003, 02:54 PM
I'm going to get Kumho Ecsta STX in 235/70-16 to replace my OEM tires in the spring.

They will fill out the wheel wells about the same as the oversized 225/70-16 winter tires pictured below.

I've heard nothing but good things when ppl go to wider tires...

http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/side109.jpg