Crates & Cabana Tent [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Crates & Cabana Tent

BorderRide
01-01-2004, 06:46 PM
I am very excited about finding this site. I just got my new Element 2 weeks ago and I am still playing with the crate situation inside. I travel a lot with my 3 Border Collies going to dog shows. I prefer having them in crates for safety reasons and gives me more space to load more stuff above. Right now I have one 36" crate in the back with a side door and 2 30" side by side in the middle. Then I have space above for soft crates,x-pen and my bag.

I was wondering what everyone else is doing. I tried a platform I had in my Explore and works too.

Also I wanted to ask about the plug in the back. I am planning on plugging a little fan. How long should I expect to use it before having to turn on the car to prevent battery drain? I wanted to get the Cabana tent that way I don't have to unload crates at the dog shows.

SeattleE
01-01-2004, 11:52 PM
And as a fellow BC owner...enjoy! What kind of events do you do? Agility, herding, etc...
I only generally travel with just the one dog, so I really can't be of much help, I just wanted to say Hi!
Here's how Kirby usually rides:

http://www.jessekelber.com/kirby%20in%20e.jpg

Jesse

BorderRide
01-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Very cool Border. Mainly I compete in agility but will be debuting in Frisbee this year. What kind of dog sports are you into?

I've had Explorers for the past 7 years and wanted to go bigger, Well the Element definetly gave me the space withou suffering with the gas and milage.

Nice to meet you!!!

Annette

SeattleE
01-02-2004, 12:09 AM
We did some agility, but then they asked us to leave because Kirby did have enough "standard obedience" training...he doesn't jump, never attacks, etc...and comes immediately when called. That's enough for us!

Anyway, I do dog disc stuff and am looking for a group of some kind to hook up with in this area, know of any??

Enjoy the E and the BCs!

Jesse

divadog
01-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Though I don't have Border Collies I do have Golden Retrievers and Tibetan Spaniels and partcipate in dog shows on a regualr basis. I just got my Element about two weeks ago also. One of the reasons I got it was the Cabana Tent feature. I never seem to have more then one Golden at a time at a show and the Tibbies fit in 100 size crates so the small size with the cabana was ideal. I kept my 97 Safari Van for when I really need to carry more then two Goldens.

My plan is to fit two-400 Vari Kennels in the Element. One in the back and then one on the side. The grooming table and small x-pen, etc. can be stacked on top and the Tibbie crates can fit stacked in back next to the 400.

With the cabana in the back and the poles I have shade and a spot for grooming.

Of course I don't need to worry about that for a while as I won't be doing any outdoor shows till April.

Dave B
03-31-2004, 10:11 AM
SeattleE,

Great looking BC you have there. My wife and I have had Australian Shepherds for many years and have always admired BC's. We also admire the owners as the BC is even higher maintenance than an Aussie.
We just got our element yesterday and found that our 2 year old Aussie Zach loves it. Main reason we bought an E was for hauling the dog around.

SeattleE
03-31-2004, 06:42 PM
And Kirby thanks you for the compliment... :wink:

This thing has proven to be the best dog vehicle ever! I've had Subbies and a Tacoma before this and the E wins hands down.

Kirby is kinda a goofy BC, he's really mellow(as long as you're not a black lab, BCs hate them, go figure) and has no problem riding all day in the E, as long as at some point I stop at the dog park for some frisbee or ball. Got pics of your Aussies? love to see 'em...

peace-
jesse

k9disc
04-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Very cool to know that there are lots of dog people driving Elements. I have been playing frisbee with my dog since 1997, and have been coast to coast on the road.
I agree that the Element is a fantastic ride for dog travel.
My current config for crating my 3 border collies is as follows:

Remove passenger back seat, fold up drivers side back seat.
1 large stylette crate (sideways) behind the passenger seat (front seat is pushed quite far forward) loading is done via driver's side door
1 large stylette crate on passenger side loading from the tailgate.
1 small varikennel that is either stacked on top of the other 2, or wedged into the space between the rear kennel and the folded up seat.

If the small crate is stacked, I have additional room for a 4th dog to lay on the floor next to the folded seat, but then it is necessary to tie down the crates.

I am looking at swapping out a varikennel for a stylette, as i think it will offer more flexibility in the configuration, but do not want to lose the wheels on the stylette.

Someone mentioned that they are playing frisbee with their BCs. Please contact me if you are interested in getting hooked up with other players. I know quite a few players throughout the country, and might be able to help you out. Also check out my site: www.k9athlete.com

music&dogs
04-11-2004, 12:17 PM
I wanted to caution you about using E's battery to run a fan when the car is turned off. Two times I have accidently left my lights on for 20 to 25 minutes. The battery was dead as a doornail and I've since been told that the E has a very small battery. I don't know if a portable fan would pull as much power as the headlights; maybe someone else can comment?

brendan
04-11-2004, 12:36 PM
[quote:190eeaa482=" "]I wanted to caution you about using E's battery to run a fan when the car is turned off. Two times I have accidently left my lights on for 20 to 25 minutes. The battery was dead as a doornail and I've since been told that the E has a very small battery. I don't know if a portable fan would pull as much power as the headlights; maybe someone else can comment?[/quote:190eeaa482]

A small portable fan will take significantly less current than the headlights.

But, I usually keep a power pack/jump starter in the car as a backup jump for just this type of situation.

Unfortunately, it's now spending time in my ex-girlfriend's mercedes...they *think* they have the alarm/power-drain issue beat, but she's not sure yet.

-brendan

SeattleE
04-11-2004, 03:56 PM
[quote:a060ebbd77=" "]Someone mentioned that they are playing frisbee with their BCs. Please contact me if you are interested in getting hooked up with other players.[/quote:a060ebbd77]

That was me...right now we just mess around, but I'd really like to get him into some sort of group, training, etc...

thanks!

Jesse

GYPSYTDA
04-11-2004, 08:32 PM
yeah more border collies with elements..

here is my child:
http://tina.pirate-king.com/images/My_Cars/Element/MYelem23.jpg

Seattle I love your Kirby, what a beauty.. my border is more calm then most too.. and he is very much a people pup.. not very social when it comes to other critters.. but he isnot mean either just not interested..

I wanna see more E & Border collie pix..

Mine also is not a competition pup.. but he does love frisbee too (the softbite ones are his favorite).. he also love to chase a basketball around the basement & back yard! Of course his herds of toys.. he tends to them often!

Kirby rides much like my pup.. he has a soft cushion between the front and back seats.. otherwise we recline the back seats for him! We had a halter seat belt for him.. till he learned to un-do the seat belts.. darn their high IQ!

BorderRide, i want to see hear more about your borders too!

Dave B: Aussies are neat too.. share pix.. please!

K9disc you have 3 border collies.. cool.. tell more about your babies.. and photos.. please!

Now on fans.. get a battery operated ones.. they won't be highly powerful but nor would anything you could plug into the vehicle.. but you can get some decent ones.. and not fear of the vehicle being drained!!

GYPSYTDA
04-11-2004, 08:41 PM
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?ruleID=4&itemID=2997&itemType=PRODUCT&itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=2997
http://www.petedge.com/images/us//local/products/family_detail/zw11023.jpg

above is a crate fan that runs on batteries..

http://www.campmor.com/images/acc/20113.jpg
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=88646&memberId=12500226
at $20 each you could get a couple of these.. has a light too.. great for camping!

SeattleE
04-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Thanks Tina from me and Kirby...
In all fairness I should say that Kirby is technically my sisters dog...but notice who posts pics and rearranges his car for him :wink:

I'll try to get some more pics put together soon...

Jesse

music&dogs
04-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Do you put those fans right in the crate or rather, in the car near the crate? Thanks for this; I've never seen a battery powered fan that large, just those little hand held ones. I'll check this out.

Brenden, I am definitely going to buy one of those portable car battery chargers. Where do you store it; would it fit under a reclined seat in the E? Is there a particular one you would recommend for the E?

brendan
04-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Mine won't fit under the seats. I think there are some that aren't so deep that might fit, but not mine.

I got mine at a Trak Auto on open-box special (it was missing the A/C cord and was half price). :)

Look for Jumpstarters or Portable Power devices at places like Target, Wal*Mart, Autozone, Home Depot, Pep Boys or other large discount or auto or boating chains.

Vector is a common manufacturer. They don't sell new products direct, but they do have some factory refurbs for sale...and more importantly...the measurements (of at least one of them) here:

http://www.vectormfg.com/site2/vectormfg/default.php?cPath=25

My first suggestions is to compare the sizes of those vs. the size of the Deep Professional Organizer in the other recent thread... :)

-brendan

GYPSYTDA
04-12-2004, 09:32 AM
[quote:9668960a76=" "]Do you put those fans right in the crate or rather, in the car near the crate? Thanks for this; I've never seen a battery powered fan that large, just those little hand held ones. I'll check this out.

Brenden, I am definitely going to buy one of those portable car battery chargers. Where do you store it; would it fit under a reclined seat in the E? Is there a particular one you would recommend for the E?[/quote:9668960a76]

the crate fan is made to attach to the crate.. You should also find them where you would purchase crates and other pup stuff.. or othe pup stuff supply companies..

the other one I shared, you could hang from the back seat upper handle bars (Where you clip the seats to.) Or find another means.. perhaps a suction cup to the window.. if they don't vibrate off.. i doubt they would be too heavy!

SeattleE & Kirby you are welcome.. and well not a matter of who Kirby belongs to, but who belongs to Kirby.. and if you are making him comfy.. i am sure he would lean toward ya.. smiles!!

dekeoboe
04-12-2004, 04:43 PM
K9disc, can you post a picture of your Element with the crates in the back? We have 2 BCs and 2 cats and will be moving this summer. I am currently trying to figure out how to configure the crates and our stuff in Element so the move won't be too painful. Thanks.

music&dogs
04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Great web site for the jump starters; thanks. This info is helpful. :)

k9disc
04-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Here are a couple pics of my BCs in the E.

Here is Mo:
http://www.k9athlete.com/images/moE.jpg

Here is Mo and his little MoBaby girl, Split. My son, Dylan, is also pictured:
http://www.k9athlete.com/images/mosplitdylE.jpg

And one more:
http://www.k9athlete.com/images/mosplitdylE2.jpg

My other BC, Rokalele, is not pictured because she is presently too stinky to get in the E. She has this nasty habit of sneaking off and rolling in very foul stuff. Hence her nickname: the StinkDog.