Moonroof gone? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Moonroof gone?

Ross
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Anyone know why the moonroof is gone from new models? What year did it stop? Will Honda install one if asked on a new order?

scorsone
09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I doubt Honda would install one. You could get an after market put in just about anywhere and your dealer probably has an installer on standby. There are some threads where owners have added second sunroofs and full roof sunroofs in their E's.

Don't know why Honda said no more. I love my sunroof!!! It is out right now.

ramblerdan
09-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Last year for the skylight was 2008. As to why, it's a fair bet that it was cost reduction.

Devan1044
09-30-2009, 02:32 PM
does anyone know about how much the installation and everything would cost to get one?

Serj22
09-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Probably quite a bit of money... I've never had it done. I'm looking to have my entire roof cut off and have an accordian convertible top put on. Awww yeah.

I know of a few shops that actually just specialize in putting in and wiring up moon-roofs, so you need not look far maybe.

ramblerdan
09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Devan1044, search for "Webasto" or go to their Web site.

dfifo
10-01-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't understand why they never tried the moonroof upfront.

jdiane
10-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I think the one and only reason they got rid of the moonroof was because on every thread on the EOC talking about what you dont like about the Element people always complain about the moonroof location.

The mods have always said that Honda listens to the EOC, So there you go: the EOC killed the moonroof in the Element.

psschmied
10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
... the Element people always complain about the moonroof location. ... The mods have always said that Honda listens to the EOC, So there you go: the EOC killed the moonroof in the Element.

If Honda listened to anyone, they would be advertising the Element. They aren't. Honda stopped listening when the American marketing plan for a vehicle designed in America to reach a particular American target demographic fizzled, while their direct competitors succeeded.

The moon roof was only there because the concept car had a sliding rear roof section that appealed to the target market. That target market never materialized, so no further need for the rear moon roof.

Product changes are made to improve market share and/or contain costs. Coke doesn't ask Coke drinkers what changes they want from Coke; Coke looks at Pepsi drinkers and tries to figure out why they prefer Pepsi. GM doesn't make product changes to improve their vehicles without advertising that they've done so. If Honda had listened to the rear moon roof complaints, there were several ways that moon roofs could have been implemented farther forward.

The only reason to not advertise a product in a competitive market is that you don't care if it fails. If Honda listens to the EOC it's only because we represent enough satisfied potential repeat customers to assure them that their fixed costs for JIT assembly of the Element will be covered for another year.

jdiane
10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda doesnt need to advertise the element as long as they have the EOC-- type 'honda element' into google and honda pops up first, EOC second. ;-) :rolleyes:

I just think its funny that they would get rid of the moonroof and yet keep the crappy tires... :rolleyes:

Frankly, I dont understand why anyone would want a sunroof over the front seats. Our acura has one ( and leather seats), and open sunroof + leather seats + hot southern california sun = hot a$$, and not in a good way! :shock:

MotoChef
10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I like the location of the moon roof! On a hot day its great for clearing out the hot air from front to back. I'm glad I got the 08. The dealer told me that the roof was gone in 09. The other thing is that the stock unit has drains with tubes that run down the driver side of the truck. I'm interested in what that would cost to have an aftermarket roof installed. I think that the ribbed roof on the front end will nix the sun roof up there. Keep us posted if you get a quote..