Voltage Regulator [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Voltage Regulator

thirstE
01-10-2004, 07:17 AM
I've got a black auto AWD EX (a Y package here in Canada) with 43K (26m) on it. Since it was new, I've had this annoying (so far) dimming of the lights (interior/exterior). I mentioned it to the dealer (no suggestions) but thought it was intermittent so pointless trying to pursue. I've now been able to isolate it to between 1500 and 2000 rpm while driving and it's very consistent. As you pass thru that rpm range all the lights momentarily dim and come back up.

My new car knowledge isn't great but I can't help thinking something like a voltage regulator is acting up. Otherwise car runs fine, no battery/charging problems other than the OEM battery is a little wimply in subzero weather.

Anybody else???

thanks

ThirstE

Bill in Houston
01-10-2004, 07:38 AM
[quote:4e77851fd8=" "] I've now been able to isolate it to between 1500 and 2000 rpm while driving and it's very consistent. As you pass thru that rpm range all the lights momentarily dim and come back up.

My new car knowledge isn't great but I can't help thinking something like a voltage regulator is acting up. Otherwise car runs fine, no battery/charging problems other than the OEM battery is a little wimply in subzero weather.
[/quote:4e77851fd8]

Our Honda Odyssey does the same thing. I haven't noticed the lights flickering but I can hear the rear A/C blower change speed, and sometimes the drop is enough to trip our inverter that we use for a TV on long trips.

I agree that it's probably some sort of voltage regulator/ alternator thing, probably to reduce the amount of energy it takes to turn the alternator at higher speeds.

I don't know how to solve it. I wouldn't be surprised if they said "they all do that" and expect you to just live with it. Sorry.

Bill in Houston