Doggie Demolition [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Doggie Demolition

lae10851
01-19-2004, 01:06 PM
When I take my dogs on trips around town, I dont use a restraint device (I know, bad idea). The last couple of times I went to the store, one of my furkids started scratching on the interior of the rear hatch. Does anyone know of a good way to protect the defroster on the hatch?

Obviously a kennel would work, but this particular dog is not kennel ready and he whines like a mad dog if he is seperated from me.

:idea: Any ideas?

Amy

MikeQBF
01-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Crate training is a fundamental and needs to be started immediately. This is for your dogs' sanity and safety as well as yours.

We have Pixel (see left) trained so well that I can give him the command over the telephone - "Box!" - and he will get in his crate.

BlackdogStudios
01-19-2004, 01:32 PM
anxiety is diagnosed disorder in dogs as well as people. they seem to be prescribing many of the same drugs. you might wish to talk to your vet. and then embark in some training sessions once the dog is a little more prone to listen than panic and stress out. also a lot of the destructive behaviour tends to stop.

just a third idea.

D.

music&dogs
01-19-2004, 09:15 PM
I second the opinion about checking to see if your dog has separation anxiety. Until I got my latest canine, I hadn't a clue about this disorder in dogs but it's for real. The behavior can be manifested in a variety of ways and from mild to severe. In our case the dog absolutely cannot be left alone at home, however she is fine in the E waiting for me to return to the car. We do not medicate the dog though I know that is a last resort option in extreme cases. I think the crate is a good idea however you need to know if your dog has a severe case of seaparation anxiety. With an extreme case of S.A. dogs literally injure themselves, sometimes seriously, to get out of the crate. Hopefully your dog is not to this extreme. Sorry, I don't know what to suggest about repairing the damage.

jays0n
01-22-2004, 05:24 AM
we started packing for our move to MA from western NY about 4 months early. Isis, our adopted 5ish year old Rhodesian Ridgeback/Pitbull started having real issues with us leaving for work or to go out for anything. She destroyed near a dozen mini-blinds trying to see out the windows, tore out screens and jumped out windows, including a 2nd floor window onto the concrete driveway with barely a scratch. Mind you we have had her for 3 1/2 years and she had been the best behaving dog i have ever owned. After the 2nd floor window incident we started to worry A LOT about what was up with her. Lisa found the paperwork we got when adopting her and the reason her original owners brought her to the pound was because they were moving!

Dogs are very smart animals and forget nothing, but they can have anxiety problems too, just like us. The day we left, we let her sit in the car the whole time we got ready, she kept both eyes on us but never got out of the car. After we moved into out new place she has been her old self again. Here she is sitting in Lisa's car before the trip.

http://webpages.charter.net/jasonnault/Images/isis_ready2.jpg

lae10851
01-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Poor Baby!

I wish people would think of dogs like people some times. When you get a dog you should plan on having it as long as it lives. All of our dogs have been "returns" and with a little affection, they have been great!

music&dogs
01-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Wow; that's an incredible story about Isis, but I believe every word. Some dogs make associations quickly, through only one experience, and they never forget that association nor their frightening experince. So happy to hear that Isis is in such loving hands now.