What is the quietest replacement tire? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: What is the quietest replacement tire?

Tribriguy
02-18-2004, 09:46 PM
I'm looking to replace the factory round rubber things that barely qualify as tires. I want QUIET! What are the quietest out there? Oh, and hopefully slightly larger, better traction and handling, and longer tread life. Yes, I still think there is a holy grail.

Slowhand
02-19-2004, 08:18 AM
I'm interested in quieter tires, also.

paulj
02-19-2004, 01:33 PM
According to this BBC article you may have better luck finding a quieter road than a quieter tyre.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3389389.stm

You may get a few responses saying one brand of tire is quieter than the stock ones, but few are going to have tried more than one alternative. You could read the manufacturer's blurbs on various tires at Tirerack, but that gives little caparative data. What kind of traction do you have in mind? Street performance tires probably have decent dry and wet traction and ok noise, but their snow and rough traction will be poor. Conversely ones that give you good traction in poor conditions probably will be noisy.

paulj

ePod
02-19-2004, 04:03 PM
After putting several hundred miles on an ELEMENT rental with Goodyear Wranglers, the first mod I did to my ELEMENT was new tires. Bought from Costco Michelin Cross Terrain 225/70/16 after reading many posts here and there on the subject (BTW, I went to the larger size primarily because there are so few good tires available in the OEM size).

Here are a few observations about the switch:

1) Overall the Michelins are excellent tires - very responsive, fairly quiet.
2) The difference between them and the Goodyear OEM is small at best.
3) Noise is very much road dependent regardless of the tire choice (paulj article - right on).

There are certainly tires on the market which cater to the need for quiet. Tirerack would be a great resource. :)

Bill in Houston
02-19-2004, 04:22 PM
[quote:a59da708b4=" "]I'm interested in quieter tires, also.[/quote:a59da708b4]

Slowhand, I'm off-topic here, but how are you liking your magnet-bra?

Tribriguy
02-19-2004, 09:12 PM
The fact that I want quieter tires generally rules out really rough terrain handling tires. I don't need super speed tires either. If I want to go fast I get in the BMW. The stock tires have just a little too much truck-like rumble for my tastes. And they stick to the road like oil on teflon. Just because I'm not trying to set land speed records doesn't mean I like to feel like I'm sliding through every cloverleaf at only 35 mph. I just want a little more road holding grip, but not by getting super large and wide tires. Those just get noisier too.

Slowhand
02-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Bill, re: Magnetbra - I really like it. Haven't had any problems. About once a month I lift it up and clean underneath and recoat with a little Zaino polish but there's hardly anything there. I do have a few tiny spots on it from road debris, but then the reason I bought it is to keep the stones off the paint.

Bill in Houston
02-20-2004, 11:09 AM
[quote:84ebe22386=" "] I just want a little more road holding grip, but not by getting super large and wide tires. Those just get noisier too.[/quote:84ebe22386]

Noisier AND lower gas mileage. I think good tires are cheap insurance. Let us know what you end up with.

Bill

Slowhand, thanks for the magnetbra info! Based on that I think I'm getting one for my birthday.

paulj
02-20-2004, 01:23 PM
You could try scanning the RAV4WORLD forums. RAV4 owners have been seeking quieter tires for years. The 4.1 (1st generation) models in particular are much noiser than the Element. It uses the same stock size tire as the Element, with 235/60 as an alternative.

I have had both car-oriented 'performance' tires (undersized 225/60) and M+S rated Mastercraft OEM replacement (215/70) tires on my 97 RAV4, and not noticed any real difference in road noise. Mastercraft/Cooper claims the solid center rib reduces road noise.

http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=SUV&id=22

The tread on these tires looks better than the Element's stock tires, especially in rain and snow. However in one test on a slippery hill, the Element made it while the RAV did not. I don't know how much of that was due to the 4wd system, to the tires, or to other factors. It is tempting to switch tires between the two cars, and see if I can detect any difference in handling and traction in either.

paulj

hownowcb
02-25-2004, 10:04 PM
I suspect Dan would recommend EarPlug brand tires. Much, much quieter, with no performance loss either!!

brendan
02-26-2004, 09:45 AM
[quote:c29028c679=" "]I suspect Dan would recommend EarPlug brand tires. Much, much quieter, with no performance loss either!![/quote:c29028c679]

Plus, you never get pulled over!

-brendan