Is a Softer Ride Possible? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Is a Softer Ride Possible?

alanfreed88
11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I love the Element, this is my third, but the ride is so stiff and the back country roads in the Northeast are so bumpy that it sounds like the dashboard is going to fall out a half dozen times every day. Has anyone ever installed after market shocks that soften the ride?

ramblerdan
11-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Welcome, Alanfreed88.

There are few aftermarket choices out there, and IIRC most substitutions have been done for performance, not comfort. Poke around the site, though, and see what turns up.

rprossil
11-18-2010, 06:36 AM
I see that your E is a 2010, but you may want to consider doing a tire upgrade for comfort. The OEM Goodyears don't ride that well. Both sets of replacements that I've used on mine have given me a better ride than the originals. If the miles are low enough on your OEMs you might even be able to sell them for a few dollars yet. Good luck.

mkh
11-18-2010, 07:22 AM
I see that your E is a 2010, but you may want to consider doing a tire upgrade for comfort. The OEM Goodyears don't ride that well. Both sets of replacements that I've used on mine have given me a better ride than the originals. If the miles are low enough on your OEMs you might even be able to sell them for a few dollars yet. Good luck.

Ditto that - the Goodyear's are not great for ride or wear. I've Kumho's on mine, and they made a significant improvement in the ride. On rough roads, a little weight in the back helps too.

macmini05
11-18-2010, 08:30 AM
i agree that the ride is stiff as well. I live in Metro Detroit and the roads are not good at all. Plus I went up north this past summer and i have driven the back dirt roads as well. The ones that are hard dirt with the "ripples" or "waves" on the road. I have General Grabbers and the ride has not got any softer. Sometimes my passsenger door rattles as well.

I love the E too but it is a stiff vehicle. I have a CRV and a Camry and the E is the stiffest ride of all of them. My tires are at 32psi as well. All I can say is that maybe better struts will help???? Other that that, there is not much that helps. The heavier loads in the rear, or 4 passengers actually make the ride over bumps worse, npt better.

I believe most people have better roads that where I drive. I never give the ride in my E a second thought outside the Metro area unless I am on a wavy dirt road or a road that is pot hole ridden.

MikeQBF
11-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Be careful not to modify for "softer ride" without considering that the E has a very short wheelbase for it's weight and size. What you may discern as a hard ride has contribution from the chassis/wheel dynamics accountable in the short "lever arm" distance between the wheels. That you can't fix, it is a just a fact of life.