Stumped...Brake Pedal/Lights Dim [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Stumped...Brake Pedal/Lights Dim

Deacon
02-01-2011, 11:18 PM
When I depress the brake pedal, the lights on the ENTIRE dash go dim...and this is occasionally accompanied by the bell dinging in a pattern I've never heard before.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy14120
02-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Surprised nobody answered yet. Need some diagnostics performed to help figure it out.

Are any other lights dimming? Headlights, dome lights, radio illumination?
Do you have a trailer or trailer hitch wiring? Could there be a short or heavy load there?
Is the battery voltage dropping too?
I'm trying to recall the brake wiring circuit... Think there is a fuse that powers the lights, and there is also a signal picked up for the ECM to disengage the cruise control. Perhaps a short there, or blown control module. Wonder if things change if any fuses are pulled.
If you dim the dash lights with the control know, and hit the brakes, do they get brighter?
Any wiring or control modules acting up or worked on?
Do you believe in ghosts or have crossed the path of a black cat lately?

ok.. stopping there

Rick92040
02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
How old is your battery?

yemen85
02-05-2011, 03:50 AM
I had this happen in my 2010 EX when hauling a U Haul trailer. There was a short in trailer wire harness.
:)

Deacon
02-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Ok. Here goes...I have removed the trailer wire harness completely from the vehicle.

Here's how it shapes up now...

The horn does not sound when depressed.

The brake lights do not turn on when brake pedal depressed.

There are no running lights.

The headlights work perfectly as does the emergency flashing lights.

The dash lights have all stopped working.

The turning signals function correctly.

Is the fuse for the horn, tail and running lights the same? Wouldn't think so...but....

Just for the record, it is a 06 EX.

I don't quite understand the symbology of the fuse box under the hood.

Any thoughts?

Andy14120
02-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Is the fuse for the horn, tail and running lights the same? Wouldn't think so...but....

Actually, several of those are the same fuse. Check the one in the engine compartment. You have one or more blown.

ramblerdan
02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Under-hood fuse #2 (15A): Dash lights, front side lights, front parking lights, license plate light, taillights, taillight relay, trailer light connector (via relay)

Under-hood fuse #7 (15A): Brake lights, brake signal to ABS modulator, cruise actuator, ECM/PCM, horn relay, trailer lighting connector

If the fuses test good (not just look good), the trailer wiring job probably messed up the harness somehow. Could be as simple as a disconnected or high-resistance ground.

jurneez
02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Under-hood fuse #2 (15A): Dash lights, front side lights, front parking lights, license plate light, taillights, taillight relay, trailer light connector (via relay)

Under-hood fuse #7 (15A): Brake lights, brake signal to ABS modulator, cruise actuator, ECM/PCM, horn relay, trailer lighting connector

If the fuses test good (not just look good), the trailer wiring job probably messed up the harness somehow. Could be as simple as a disconnected or high-resistance ground.

Hey Rambler, see if you can find HondaTech ( I think that was his name on here) I have the dimming headlight thing and he sent me the diagram, and explained it was a bad solder joint. He also sent the directions on how to repair it. Although my E doesn't go near dealers (by choice), so I never took it in. I'll try to find the email tonight when I get home, bug me if I don't reply again. Old age makes me forget...
jurn

ramblerdan
02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
^ Jurn, that sounds like a reference to the ELD problem Honda published a TSB about. However it it was the ELD, the OP's headlights would dim, not just the dash lights. That combined with the other failures following the trailer wiring removal, point to a problem in the wire harness. That's assuming there isn't a blown fuse.

jurneez
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
^ Jurn, that sounds like a reference to the ELD problem Honda published a TSB about. However it it was the ELD, the OP's headlights would dim, not just the dash lights. That combined with the other failures following the trailer wiring removal, point to a problem in the wire harness. That's assuming there isn't a blown fuse.

You are so correct...well, I have a jpeg of the ELD problem if it's ever needed. But I suspect you're right considering the multi problems........Good job Rambler.
jurn

Harlend
02-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Hi there could be two causes
first battery must be too old that it can't support the load.
Secondly the main distributor could be out of order that could not providing the full load to the lights.
Thanks