Cricket in the A/C? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Cricket in the A/C?

jeraldg
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
When I have the A/C fan running sometimes I hear a squeak that sounds like a cricket. When I turn the fan off it stops. Has anyone else had this and if so what did you do to stop it?

ramblerdan
04-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Have you ever changed the serpentine belt on that '05? That's often the cause of squeeks and chirps, and the extra load of the a/c compressor is just the kind of thing that would cause a glazed belt to make noise.

psschmied
04-11-2011, 03:41 PM
If the noise ever occurred when the A/C was off, I'd suspect a bad fan bearing.

If not, switching off the fan causes the A/C compressor clutch to disengage, so it could be a slipping belt, a bad compressor clutch, or a dry compressor bearing.

For trouble shooting, you can temporarily quiet a slipping belt with WD-40 (or belt dressing).

jeraldg
04-12-2011, 08:12 AM
I have had the belt changed and I think the chirping happened before and after the belt was changed.

Big E
04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I vote blower motor/bearing. Mine went bad 4 years ago. Chirp chirp chirp.

ramblerdan
04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Would be nice to know whether the OP hears the sound with just the fan running and the a/c off. "A/C fan" is ambiguous.

reno_bk
04-13-2011, 12:14 PM
It's hard to tell if OP means the chirping sound is happening "only" with the AC engaged, or if the chirping happens with just the fan on. The fan motor assembly (p/n 79310-SCV-A01) in mine has been making a chirping sound for over a year...it's infuriating, but I just haven't had the inclination to let the dealer fix it for a couple hundred dollars.

This past weekend the chirping was so obnoxious that I just couldn't take it anymore, so I took out the cabin air filters and fed some Tri-Flow bike-chain lube onto the fan's bearing (or what I thought might be the bearing, since I was just going by feel...you can't see in there). The noise is much better, but not completely gone. I was afraid to dump too much lube on there, since it will end up collecting dirt and probably make the sound worse at some point.

The part is shown here on this parts diagram, but I'm not 100% sure how to get at that part to replace it: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/electrical_exhaust_heater_fuel/b__1710~2005~honda~element~5dr_ex_4wd_sd_a_1_b~4at ~ka~heater~blower.html

I'm guessing this is the same problem that the OP is experiencing...

jeraldg
04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Would be nice to know whether the OP hears the sound with just the fan running and the a/c off. "A/C fan" is ambiguous.

I verified that the chirping sound happens with the fan on regardless of whether the A/C is on or not. When I turn the fan off, the chirping stops. The A/C and the fan function just fine while the chirping is going on but is this a sign of something that is about to fail?

ramblerdan
04-15-2011, 08:30 AM
The HVAC fan is much less expensive and easier to access than any a/c part. It could be an incipient fan bearing failure, or something as simple as a piece of debris in the fan. Try removing the cabin air filters and see if you can get a vacuum cleaner hose in there.