TPMS dash light [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: TPMS dash light

bert96
10-07-2011, 06:22 PM
My TPMS dash light goes on and off without any reason!?

What is the problem?

Bert

Island E
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
You're in Canada. More than likely it's been cold in the morning. Tire pressure fluctuates with temperature. As you drive, your tires heat up, which raises the pressure in them. Light goes away. Get used to it. I deal with North Dakota winters. Nothing you can really do about it. Just make sure you have good pressure in all your tires. There's also a differential pressure setting that makes the light go off if one tire is X amount of PSI different from the other 3.

Double check your tire pressures in the morning.

I'm willing to bet any amount of money that SOMEBODY on here will tell you to try the nitrogen filling thing. Give it a shot if you want. But I wouldn't pay any money for it.

bert96
10-07-2011, 06:34 PM
It's not the tire picture light that goes on,just the word TPMS!?

Bert

Island E
10-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Ah. Well, that usually comes on when you have a problem with the system itself. Mine comes on when I switch from my summer rims to my winter rims/tires until I get the sensors relearned.

Basically if your TPMS system loses communication with one or more of the sensors, it'll alert you by lighting up that TPMS light. You could have a sensor that's starting to go bad and it's intermittently crapping out on you.

bert96
10-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Is there a way to test the sensor itself? i don't want to buy 4 sensor if i need just one...

Island E
10-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't think this is something you can do. The sensors are INSIDE the tire. The valve stem is part of the sensor with these new fangled 07+ model cars.

Call up Honda and ask them if there's a way they can tap into the system to maybe pull an error history in the TPMS system to see what exactly caused the light to come on. That's assuming that the TPMS system actually stores error codes. I'm not sure if it does or not.

bert96
10-08-2011, 11:59 AM
If i buy 4 new sensors,(for exemple Dorman sell tpms for the element)do i need to program something or the car will recognize the new sensor?

Bert

lizzurd
10-08-2011, 12:04 PM
If i buy 4 new sensors,(for exemple Dorman sell tpms for the element)do i need to program something or the car will recognize the new sensor?

Bert

The new sensors have tro be programmed to the vehicle.

Before spending money on sensors and programming you should have it checked out to see what the problem is. It could be the control unit in the dash.

bert96
10-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Does the control unit located in the cluster?

lizzurd
10-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Does the control unit located in the cluster?

No...It is located behind the radio. It is a seperate unit.

bert96
10-08-2011, 12:11 PM
is there a way i can test this unit?

lizzurd
10-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Your going to have to visit the dealer. The will have to hook it up to the HDS to read any codes that are stored.

bert96
10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
i have a code reader..... :)

lizzurd
10-08-2011, 12:22 PM
i have a code reader..... :)

But can it read TPMS codes?

bert96
10-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Let me check...

bert96
10-08-2011, 12:35 PM
surprisingly,my code reader tell that i have no code....so i don't know does my code reader can or can not read tpms code?

My tpms light goes on only when i drive for 30-45 min or more.When i go to work i only have to drive for 10 min,so my light is always off...

weird problem,am i the only one???

lizzurd
10-08-2011, 12:42 PM
surprisingly,my code reader tell that i have no code....so i don't know does my code reader can or can not read tpms code?

My tpms light goes on only when i drive for 30-45 min or more.When i go to work i only have to drive for 10 min,so my light is always off...

weird problem,am i the only one???

You reader most likely won't pick up TPMS codes. If the light is not staying on this is telling me that you most likely have a bad sensor. A tire shop may be able to check for codes.