Allignment Issues??? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Allignment Issues???

vegasbaby
03-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Has anyone had to allign their E yet? Mine has been pulling to the right for about the last 9 months. Really bad on the Highway. I rotated the tires and same thing. Does the warranty cover allignment? Or more $$ for the dealer?? 14000 miles

Nat
03-20-2004, 03:16 PM
I had what looked like abnormal wear on the outter 1" of all 4 of my tires. I took it back to the dealer, they said the alignment fell within "normal" limits. Funny thing is after the visit, no more increased wear on outter 1".

vegasbaby
03-21-2004, 11:52 AM
How many Miles? Any out of pocket?

vegasbaby
04-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Took it in to the dealer last week. They said if you can let go of the wheel and it goes straight for 7 seconds. Then the vehicle is fine. Even if after the 7 seconds it veers right or left. That is Honda's 7 second rule of allignment... I took it out with the allignment tech. and that was what he said... Ss long as you are not fighting with the wheel and it is not constantly tugging either way then the allignment is fine. I guess its fine then???

drphun
04-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Another factor to consider is that if you live where there is a lot of rain, the road will have more of a crown to it. To go straight you have to continually fight the crown. If the 7 second rule is valid, you have to do it on flat ground, although wouldn't it be more valid for a toe out that a toe in.

On motorcycles, it is pretty common for tires to wear more on the left side than the right, due to the crown. In countries where they drive ont eh other side of the road, this is reversed.

firetruck41
04-20-2004, 12:13 PM
[quote:df83ae485b=" "]Took it in to the dealer last week. They said if you can let go of the wheel and it goes straight for 7 seconds. Then the vehicle is fine. Even if after the 7 seconds it veers right or left. That is Honda's 7 second rule of allignment... I took it out with the allignment tech. and that was what he said... Ss long as you are not fighting with the wheel and it is not constantly tugging either way then the allignment is fine. I guess its fine then???[/quote:df83ae485b]

I call BS, maybe your toe in/out alignment is ok if it goes straight for seven seconds, of course is that at 5mph? 50mph? 70mph? Not sure if the Element has adjustable camber and caster either, only way to tell for sure if the alignment is good is on an alignment rack.
I guarantee you will never find Honda's "Seven Second Rule of Alignment" in any Honda service manual or bulletin, your dealer is just trying to get out of work!