My new E-Buddy [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: My new E-Buddy

HappyCamper
03-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi all. I would like to introduce a new E-rider, my sheltie puppy, Buddy. Isn't he a handsome little dude?

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerrycan/P0002038_web.jpg

He is 11 weeks old today and I've had him for four weeks. He already loves getting out and about in the E. He has pretty well declared the full back seat area as "his space."

By the way, he is housetrained (already). I'm just pointing that out because the stain that you can see on the floor mat of the E isn't from one of Buddy's "accidents." That's just the spot where he had decided to pry the lid off a cold drink cup that he had found in the console during our afternoon outing :D .

foxtail
03-23-2004, 10:51 PM
What a cutie!!

Good thing you explained about the floor. I'd already noticed, and figured Buddy had christened the E in his own way.

music&dogs
03-24-2004, 07:55 AM
He's adorable! What fun :-)
May I suggest that you put something on the floor to prevent his feet from slipping? My dogs couldn't get a grip, so to speak :-) Also, watch out he doesn't start chewing on your E parts. Puppies chew - and chew and chew and chew - sometimes for a year!

80honda
03-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Is that an "accident" on the floor in front of him? :P

HappyCamper
03-24-2004, 08:50 AM
[quote:87488767fb=" "]What a cutie!!

Good thing you explained about the floor. I'd already noticed, and figured Buddy had christened the E in his own way.[/quote:87488767fb]

Thanks Foxtail. He is cute, and a handful. I had to have my 14-year old Scottie put to sleep last September, and at her age she was a pretty slow mover. I'd forgotten how much endless energy a puppy has.

I'm glad I did explain the spot on the floor, in defense of Buddy's honor. He deserves major credit for becoming housetrained so quickly!

I'm also glad that he's liking his outings in the E so much!

HappyCamper
03-24-2004, 09:36 AM
[quote:80e168459a=" "]He's adorable! What fun :-)
May I suggest that you put something on the floor to prevent his feet from slipping? My dogs couldn't get a grip, so to speak :-) Also, watch out he doesn't start chewing on your E parts. Puppies chew - and chew and chew and chew - sometimes for a year![/quote:80e168459a]
Thanks for the useful hints. I have the all-season mats and he seems to hold his own on those okay. And his teeth aren't in quite enough yet for him to be in the major chewing stage ... we still have that to look forward to :-).

music&dogs
03-24-2004, 05:09 PM
There is nothing like a pup. Wish I could smell his puppy breath and hug his puppy fur. He looks so sweet.

lae10851
03-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Looks like a warm fuzzy!

E-olian
03-26-2004, 08:24 PM
He's adorable! We just got a sheltie (Kaycee) a little over a year ago. She's now 15 monts old, and we're getting an Element largely because we're getting tired trying to get her fur out of our Camry!

StLouisPenguin
03-26-2004, 08:28 PM
What a Cutie!!!! I want a puppy :(

What a fine new addition to your family and your E :)

Staggie
04-12-2004, 10:51 PM
I would love to have a Sheltie myself and tool around in my Element with my dog. But my evil cat-loving landlady has said "No" to my request. Sure is a great looking pup!

E-olian
04-13-2004, 08:21 AM
[quote:357b397d7d=" "]...my evil cat-loving landlady...[/quote:357b397d7d]

Tee hee hee :D

brendan
04-13-2004, 12:08 PM
[quote:f9e935e7e6=" "]...my evil cat-loving landlady...[/quote:f9e935e7e6]

Well, *someone* needs to love the evil cats... :)

-brendan

GYPSYTDA
04-13-2004, 07:33 PM
AWWWW how precious, and what a great pix.. and yes, thank you for explaining the incident on the floor, i spotted that immediately and thought oopsie.. How sweet, yeah!!

(I have a border collie, so the herding pups are THEE BEST!) ENJOY!
Shelties do get kinda mouthy though.. so prepare your ears..

and yes do keep something to reduce the slip n slide effect in the back, though the pup does seem fine but, as your pup gets bigger it won't be so easy. So a nice fluffy bed works great, use one of those anti slip mats under it to keep it from running around too. (the kind to use under a throw run works great, under a pillow type bed, some beds come with an anti slip bottom too).

oh note how easy the clean up is.. i just sponge the floor to get up any debris, mud etc.. and it is sooo easy, wow i love it!

I love the one comment they got the element, cause tired of the pup hair in the camry.. same here, we have an integra.. had the same problem.. fur galore..

HappyCamper
05-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments about Buddy and for the helpful hints. I would have taken the time to reply sooner, but keeping up with Buddy's taken up most of my spare time (my first experience with shelties and they really are busy busy little creatures!).

Re herding breeds are the best: I must agree that they are great. And smart. The first time I offered him a treat, he snapped it from my hand. So the second time, I had him sit for his treat and I cupped it in my hand so that he couldn't get it until he "took it nice". Ever since then he sits for his treat and if I don't make sure I put it all the way into his mouth, the treat most likely will fall to the floor. :D

Re slip and slide: No problem there. I have OEM all-weather mats and they have plenty of grip for him. They have pretty good "tread" and he's even able to hop into the back seat area by getting his front feet onto the mat and pulling himself the rest of the way in.

Re sheltie's are vocal: Boy, that's an understatement! I found that out almost immediately. But luckily, in another forum I ran across the hint of putting about 10 loose pennies in an empty soda can and shaking that when he starts excessive barking (aka "I can make a louder, more irritating noise than you can" lol). I had to do that only a couple of times and now , indoors at least, he holds it down to just a yap or two to get his point across.

Here is a photo update, taken this week during our evening walk around the neighborhood...

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerrycan/P0002052_web.jpg

E-olian
05-08-2004, 10:21 PM
So the all season floor mats work well to keep him from sliding? We just picked up our E last week, and have been trying to decide where to accessorize. I've been worried about what to do for our sheltie so she doesn't slip excessively. I really prefer the all-season mats better than the carpet ones. They seem to fit better with the overall theme of the E, but I was worried that they wouldn't help Kaycee stay put. Maybe I'll have to order them soon.

Thanks for the info.

Corey

HappyCamper
05-08-2004, 11:35 PM
[quote:8d910e1c96=" "]So the all season floor mats work well to keep him from sliding? We just picked up our E last week, and have been trying to decide where to accessorize. I've been worried about what to do for our sheltie so she doesn't slip excessively. I really prefer the all-season mats better than the carpet ones. They seem to fit better with the overall theme of the E, but I was worried that they wouldn't help Kaycee stay put. Maybe I'll have to order them soon.

Thanks for the info.

Corey[/quote:8d910e1c96]
Buddy seems to do fine with the mats. But I will add that he usually will get up on the back seats and go from side to side, looking out the windows when we first set out. Then after a few blocks, he gets bored with it all and curls up on the floor behind my seat. I don't think that he does that because the floor it slippery though; it's just his preference.

Rocket Dog
04-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I have an opportunity to get another dog. It's a Shetland Sheepdog aka a "Sheltie". Anybody have them, can comment?

Jojo
04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Gee, I just met Buddy and then realized that Buddy's 4 yrs old now!:shock:

tangerine07lx
04-26-2008, 02:33 AM
i only keep one of my backseats in and i recline the seatback flat, i have to help her get in but once she gets on the seet she will just lay down, occasionally she will sit up and point her nose out the window. i wish there was someway i could roll the back window down for her instead of just being able to vent it. anyone done that mod? dosent even have to be power, something with a crank is fine.

Rocket Dog
04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I have an opportunity to get another dog. It's a Shetland Sheepdog aka a "Sheltie". Anybody have them, can comment?

The deal is off, the dog's owner's situation changed again and they are keeping their dog. That's good news for the dog.

We're still getting a cat, but I have to get down to the Humane Society to start looking.