Bigger gas tank? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Bigger gas tank?

VIRGINIAGUY
05-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Shouldn't a light truck have at least a 20 gallon tank? I can't seem to drive passed a gas station.

napoleon_E
05-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Yeah I agree.

I drive close to 150 miles a day. I wish that I didnt haver to buy gas all the time. Especially the way gas prices keep going up.

paulj
05-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Considering the mpg, the range per tank on the Element is about average for SUVs, especially in the compact group.

paulj

rafale
05-17-2004, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't mind a jerry can or two on the back.

paulj
05-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Fuel cans on the roof rack along with Empire's spare tire might be better idea than the back. I took a couple of cans on my pickup's roofrack with me on my Alaska trip some years ago. However the longest stretch without gas stations, the first leg of the Dempster Hwy, was also one of the better ones for gas mileage, 40-50 mph smooth gravel. So I had no problem covering the 230 miles with a single tank. Latter when traveling on the ferry, I had to put the empty cans in ship's paint locker. So if it isn't a serious off road trek, such cans are more of a bother than they are worth.

paulj

hownowcb
05-26-2004, 12:00 AM
I drive close to 150 miles a day. I wish that I didnt haver to buy gas all the time. Especially the way gas prices keep going up.

A larger gas tank would mysteriously change that, how? It would somehow magically manage to change how much fuel you consume?

Gear Jammer
04-19-2005, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't mind a jerry can or two on the back.
Unless you got rear ended by another vehicle. Then you might seriously mind. Remember the Ford Pinto? I think a bigger or an optional auxcillary tank is a better/safer paln.
G.J.

gfxguy
04-19-2005, 08:39 PM
The problem, of course, is space.

If Honda removed the spare tire well, then they could increase the size of the tank. But then they'd have to put the tire on the outside... underneath wouldn't make sense because you'd have the same problem. So it'd have to go on the tailgate. But then you couldn't have the clamshell type tailgate, you'd have to have the side opening door style. They already do this, though - it's called the CRV.

Seriously, I'd like a bigger gas tank, too... the range just seems too small coming from a Civic that would go around 400 miles instead of 300 on a tank of gas, but then I'm sure Honda would have done it if they safely could.

1stpik
05-10-2005, 03:11 AM
A larger gas tank certainly wouldn't change how much fuel the E consumes. It would, however, allow longer periods of time between fill-ups. That's what the original post implied.

I love big gas tanks. My last ride -- Ford F-150 -- had the optional 35.7 gallong tank. Cost a fortune to fill, but lasted up to three weeks.

Besides the time and distance between fills, a larger tank gives a person flexibility in WHERE to buy gas. Here in CA, stations routinely have 20 cents/gallon differences in price. Some in remote areas have 30 cent differences. More fuel in a larger tank means you can bypass the expensive stations until a cheaper one comes into view.

This can be a real cost saver on a trip to Las Vegas. From San Diego, it's 350 miles. Los Angeles to Vegas is 260 miles. Most passenger cars get 300 miles from a tank, so they often run out of or low on gas an hour short of Sin City.

60 miles south of Las Vegas lies the town of Baker, California. It's home to the world's largest thermometer. It's also home to the world's highest gas prices. Go figure.

Blowing by Baker with fuel to spare saves you money. Not a lot, but whatever the amount, it's better spent on anything other than gas. If Honda ever makes a bigger tank for the E, I'll buy it.

Snarf77
05-10-2005, 07:27 AM
I love big gas tanks. My last ride -- Ford F-150 -- had the optional 35.7 gallong tank. Cost a fortune to fill, but lasted up to three weeks.

This is my absolute favorite metric. I asked my buddy Mike what kind of mileage he got from his toyota pickup, and he responded: " It lasts about a week" which basically meant he: 1. Didn't understand the question 2. Had no freakin idea.

I have had plenty of tanks of gas go for more than 3 weeks in my element. Once, I had a tank last over a month. Nothing wrong with your post, I understand your point, but I had to rant about this to somebody and you just gave me the proper forum.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will ever be an upgrade tank for the E.

mbare
12-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Problem: Small Gas Tank

Solution: Mount a FULL SIZE spare on something that swings away from the tail gate, that would still enable the clamshell rear access.

Example: http://www.premierhummer.com/images/h100a.jpg

Get rid of the temporary tire well and enlarge the gas tank. I've noticed that the lowest point under the Element is the gas tank, so enlarging the surface area and making it not as tall would increase ground clearance as well.

Dom.five
12-30-2005, 02:38 AM
[QUOTE=1stpik]A larger gas tank certainly wouldn't change how much fuel the E consumes. It would, however, allow longer periods of time between fill-ups. That's what the original post implied.

Your opening statement is not true. The reason car company's are Putting cars on a diet, is Weight. They do all they can to reduce the number of pounds each part adds to the package, ( one of the reasons we have wimpy batterys ). You see it works like this. You have to move the load, to do that you use the engine. It uses fule. The more weight you have to move the more fule is required to do it.

Now gas comes in at a hefty 6+ lbs per gal. so if you add only 5 Gal. you add 30 lbs. to the package.
To obtain the Fule milage figures they want, They set a total package overall weight limit. Then the design Engeners go to work. It's their job to hit the marks set out for them. Space is an issue, But in the design phase they can shape that thing to look like anything they want. Addiing 6 to 10 gal. would not be out of the question at that point. You will also add to that the extra weight of the Steel, used in makeing the tank lager. The issue is with the weight factor, and therefor with the Mpg in the long run.

magnEsium
12-30-2005, 10:37 AM
I don't see what the problem is- I had a tank last me a month! Guffaw guffaw... snarfle. Of course I'm kidding. This is also my favorite metric for fuel consumption- makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside every time I hear it. It's the corollary to the property tax equation which states that if you pay more tax than me *regardless of property value*, your tax rate must be higher. "You betta bwing shum pwotekshun" :twisted: Filing under: This truck would be nice if if were nicer.

I wanted to buy a spare fuel container for an upcoming cross-country drive, but most of them say "not for on-road vehicle use". What's the deal? Is there a "correct" spare fuel tank to buy?

Empire
12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Problem: Small Gas Tank
Solution: Mount a FULL SIZE spare on something that swings away from the tail gate, that would still enable the clamshell rear access.

Maybe, but now you have to factor in the additional weight of that heavy-ass hardware needed to securely support a 50lb full size spare mounted to the Elements rear end.
You'll be adding 100+lbs at least with the support beam along with the swing arm and beefy hinges, nuts, bolts, pins etc. Plus the extra 30 lbs the fullsize spare adds over the stock donut.
Don't forget also the additional weight of the enlarged fuel tank and the weight of the extra fuel to fill it up.

My guess is that you'll have the equivalent mileage of what you get now stock.

jdiane
12-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Spare tire on the back is UGLY :mad: :mad:

Mark C
01-04-2006, 09:25 AM
edit for correctnes

3_3rdHonda
01-04-2006, 10:29 AM
With memories of $3.89 gas still burning in many peoples' minds, and with astronomical natural gas price increases creating consumer problems, I bet auto designers/engineers will be ordered to get creative again and get better mileage.

There's a news story today about a meeting of international automakers, and by a large majority they thought fuel efficiency would outweigh other considerations w/ car buyers; "luxury" being one of the down-graded considerations.

Keep It Simple just won't die.

Gear Jammer
01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Maybe, but now you have to factor in the additional weight of that heavy-ass hardware needed to securely support a 50lb full size spare mounted to the Elements rear end.
You'll be adding 100+lbs at least with the support beam along with the swing arm and beefy hinges, nuts, bolts, pins etc. Plus the extra 30 lbs the fullsize spare adds over the stock donut.
Don't forget also the additional weight of the enlarged fuel tank and the weight of the extra fuel to fill it up.

My guess is that you'll have the equivalent mileage of what you get now stock.

Maybe so, but I'll bet some clever designers could substitute plastic fenders and such for metal and save a few pounds.:roll: Of course that spare on the rear design is fairly stupid & complex. Expensive to repair after minor accidents, tough to manipulate with a arm load of groceries...
Every best wish,
G.J.

Goin' to St. Louis!