Interior bike rack [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Interior bike rack

woodbone
05-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Just installed the Honda interior bike rack. I thought I would let anyone installing one of these that there's a few things to watch for. According to the instructions, for a single bike mount, you use the rear marks (closest to the back of the vehicle.) I did this and then realized that my bike (equipped with aero-bars) stuck out too far and would not let the hatch close. I should have measured prior to installing, but I was following instructions. I used the front marks, which they say not to for a single bike, and it worked fine. My back tire fits between my storage armrest and passenger seat just fine.

Honu
05-19-2004, 12:25 AM
I am somewhat mystified as to the reason to add on special hardware for a single bike inside the Element. My track bike or either of my mtn bikes fit in just fine. (even with extensions on one mtn bike), and all I use is a single tie down strap. Takes about 2 seconds to load and unload the bikes and no fiddling with installing the front wheel and readjusting the front brakes. I remember reading that someone here had put their triathlete aero barred road bike in with no problem.

Although.... if you have a VERY tall frame or a Big Hit bike you may have to remove the front wheel, and that could be your issue, I suppose. I am curious as to your reason.

woodbone
05-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Well, I just wanted to be able to stand my bike up. In my last vehicle I had to lay it down and tilt the front wheel up...it was awkward. Since the Element has the height necessary, I want to be able to stand it up and secure it. How do you strap in your bikes, standing up?[/quote]

boneheadz
05-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Well, I just wanted to be able to stand my bike up. In my last vehicle I had to lay it down and tilt the front wheel up...it was awkward. Since the Element has the height necessary, I want to be able to stand it up and secure it. How do you strap in your bikes, standing up?[/quote:7afc9fd5d2]

You don't need hardware to stand the bikes. (Between the bikes is all the gear needed for a week in Moab for two people.)

http://www3.telus.net/boneheadz/Picture%20045.jpg

LMN_OP
05-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Bonez, did you put your E on a diet?
Looks much skinnier than mine. :P

I also load my MTB same way, with one short bungee cord.

boneheadz
05-19-2004, 01:04 PM
[quote:f4b0aadc70=" "]Bonez, did you put your E on a diet?
Looks much skinnier than mine. :P

I also load my MTB same way, with one short bungee cord.[/quote:f4b0aadc70]

Yes, Atkins :lol:

Actually my poor photo software

Bone

joeBoxer
05-19-2004, 02:14 PM
i always wondered why anyone needed an inside rack too. part of the reason i bought the E was so i could stand my bike(s) up inside. if i had to secure them i would get a bungy strap i suppose.

lizzurd
05-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Just personal taste here.....but i leave my bik in the back of me E all summer....Moves around a lot less with a forkmount.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/bikemount.jpg

http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/bikemount2.jpg

biocube
05-19-2004, 08:08 PM
i'm currently driving around with three mtn bikes bungeed to the side handles that secures the two seats up. fully assembled, and they fit just fine. even big DH bikes fit, but you sometimes need to load them by compressing the front shock or tilt them.

i normally drive around with one seat up and one or two bikes bungeed.

i have had as many as five inside, with the seats removed.

my favorite is four on top and four people inside (though i suppose i could put four bikes inside and two people on top)

boneheadz
05-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Two people on top might affect you gas millege.

My bike also live in the element most of the year. But I do like the look of the interior bike rack.

Bone

GGMEX4WD5SP
05-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I spent hours trying to find a way to carry my tandem inside... no luck.. just to long.. I even tried putting the front forks, minus the wheel on the floor by the bass speaker,

Honu
05-19-2004, 10:22 PM
This is my bike rack setup. It just takes a second to throw an old seat cover over the "up seat" to protect it from wear spots and grease, since I also rarely ever am without a bike in the Element.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/HE9601w-bike-sml.jpg
The $8 rubber backed carpet runner is good for shaking out the mud easily. (OK, maybe I am just lazy..... 8) )

Too bad a tandem doesn't fit.

I run with a Big Hit crowd a lot. I will have to tell them others have had success fitting in a Big Hit bike with just the fork compressed, as we surmised it might. One guy is debating between a Rover and an Element for a bike hauler. Someone else in the group has the Rover. Although you still have to remove the front wheel from ANY bike to fit the Rover....so I don't see the debate... :wink:

paulj
05-19-2004, 10:27 PM
regarding the tandem, check these photos
http://www.hondaelement.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4772&highlight=tandem

docgoku
05-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Damn, sorry to hear about your installation troubles. I should've posted that problem here when I ran into the same thing last month. I installed both fork mounts so that the wife and I could carry our Cannondale R400 and Specilized Allez Sport to the silver commet trail in Atlanta, GA. (old rail road tracks paved over, gets crowded on the weekend though.) The mounting locations were made for mountian bikes not for road bikes. Both of our road bike's brake hoods would hit the top window when your try to close the clam shell.

I had to move the front mount back 2 inches and over to the left 1inch. The over to the left one inch was to allow both road bikes room to be mounted at the same time. The genious honda engineers never thought about that either, the handlebars get tangled up at the stock locations. Of course moving the mouting locations means the under part of the cover wasn't made to accept the mounting hardware at that location. The dremel tool was able to shave the under part of the cover down to one level height so the mounting bracket will install correctly.

I was pretty pissed at the lack of road bike compatability in the directions. For 100-150 bucks (depending on where you buy the OEM kit) it should be a drill and bolt setup. Also, the tube for the skewer on one of the mount was welded shut!! Some fool welded strait though the tube and never checked to see if a skewer would go though or not. I had to drill the damn thing back out!

Cheers,

BEATBOX
05-20-2004, 10:42 AM
http://www.hondaelement.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=34583
Very nice! 8)
Pulled from www.hondaelement.org

GGMEX4WD5SP
05-20-2004, 06:58 PM
My tandem must have a longer wheel base.. it did not fit...

Bike looks good... mine is the same color...

Built in San Jose by Dale Saso, Taylor Street Bicycles...

best ride ever, 2 weeks from Seattle to San Jose...

MrAnderson
06-10-2004, 01:06 PM
I take off my rear wheel but all I do is stand the bike up against the wall of the E and hook a bungee from the hook where the seat attaches to the side wall to the little metal hook at the foot of the interior wall. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3.

My problem is that my E is always dirty and it's becoming a pain the ass because I always don't have room for more passengers because my bike tends to reside in my E. Call me lazy... I don't care but I want a roof rack for my bike.

Also I am planning on doing a couple of races this year with a friend. With both of our bikes inside of the E we have little room for gear, clothes, cooler etc.

Personally, as much as my bike probably enjoys living inside of the E it's time to demote it to the roof.

Do any of you guys know of any good roof racks that will fit the top of the E.

Thanks,
Mr. A

Devilboy
05-27-2005, 03:52 PM
I am somewhat mystified as to the reason to add on special hardware for a single bike inside the Element. My track bike or either of my mtn bikes fit in just fine. (even with extensions on one mtn bike), and all I use is a single tie down strap. Takes about 2 seconds to load and unload the bikes and no fiddling with installing the front wheel and readjusting the front brakes. I remember reading that someone here had put their triathlete aero barred road bike in with no problem.

Although.... if you have a VERY tall frame or a Big Hit bike you may have to remove the front wheel, and that could be your issue, I suppose. I am curious as to your reason.

I have a Kona Coiler 17", 6" travel front & back. It will not fit standing up with out being a pain in the a$$. So I got the int. mount and it's sweet. No tie downs just mount fork in and go. Also added cargo net in rear to hold front wheel and helmet. Worth every penny please believe.

Cheers,
Devilboy :evil:

biocube
05-27-2005, 05:11 PM
mrA-do you already have bike mounts from a previous car? if so, stay with the same brand (yakima or thule). both seem to fit well on top.

if not, the yakima fit seems to be a little bit better than the thule.

also, consider getting a hitch mount. it is nice not to have to carry the step stool around.

gazzi
05-29-2005, 07:35 AM
on rides when i dont wanna leave my bike on the bike rack, i just put the whole bike in the back. i wedge it up against the seat, doesnt move a bit. i now have the right rear seat out for more room
http://home.comcast.net/~cofishy/bikeinE1.JPG

and i also made a little stand out of a fork bracket and piece of plywood. does the job :)

http://home.comcast.net/~cofishy/bikeinE2.JPG

tho i still prefer to just use the bikerack on my trailer hitch