Elements & Greyhounds [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Elements & Greyhounds

RIXELLIE
05-21-2004, 10:05 PM
[img]http:www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/ears (2)[img]

Hi everyone. I have owned my Element for a year now and have been a member since last August but I have never really posted until now. I always peruse this site though, almost every day. I figured that I would try and post a picture of my Greyhound Ramses since I just borrowed a digital camera and took pictures of him the other day. Not sure if I've done it right though, it was a little confusing for someone as semi-computer illiterate as me. Anyway, I love my Element and I love my Greyhound! Dogs and Elements were just made for each other. I can't think of a better vehicle for transporting (chauffering?) dogs. I think that there are a few other Greyhound owners on this site if I remember correctly. Are these the best dogs in the world, or what?! (No offense to lovers of other breeds, I love all dogs). But Greyhounds are just so awesome! They have the most incredible temperment and are so affectionate, neat, quiet, and intelligent. And watching them run full out in an open field or beach is absolutely incredible! Oh well, I'll stop rambling now and say goodbye....goodbye.

RIXELLIE
05-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Well, I guess that I didn't do the picture thing right because I can't open it. Too bad...he's probably the cutest greyhound you ever saw too! :lol:

napoleon_E
05-21-2004, 11:32 PM
you filled it in wrong.

you need http://www.whaterever

napoleon_E
05-21-2004, 11:32 PM
YAY!!!!

I got senior poster!!!!

brendan
05-21-2004, 11:47 PM
[quote:54a217edab=" "]Well, I guess that I didn't do the picture thing right because I can't open it. Too bad...he's probably the cutest greyhound you ever saw too! :lol:[/quote:54a217edab]

Here ya go:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/ears%20(2).jpg

Huh, weird, for some reason that isn't working either! I wonder why...maybe the img tags don't like the parentheses...

Ok, I moved it to my machine.

http://brendan.org/ears2.jpg

-brendan

RIXELLIE
05-22-2004, 05:18 AM
Thanks, Brendan. I told you I was semi-computer illiterate! (Maybe fully[icomputer illiterate!) Sorry that the picture came out so huge. Also, thanks to Happycamper who e-mailed me to offer assistance. And finally, I'm glad that I could help napoleon E become a senior poster! I guess I have a lot of catching up to do.

music&dogs
05-22-2004, 09:26 AM
You have reason to brag. He (or she) is beautiful! :D
What's his/her name? Do you have more than one and is this a rescued dog?

boneheadz
05-22-2004, 09:27 AM
My god that is a beautiful dog :lol:

Bone

Nanook
05-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Down boy! ;)

My Mom's greyhound, Mahler, was the sweetest, most beautiful, strangest, stupidest dog you'd ever want to meet. To watch him at the dog park was a sight to behold.

I love the coloring on yours!

snowshoe
05-22-2004, 12:46 PM
What a pretty face!

RIXELLIE
05-22-2004, 04:40 PM
His name is Ramses which I figured was kind of a cool name since the Greyhound has been traced back to Egyptian times and was revered by them (plus it sounds kind of regal). Yes, he was a retired racer whose racing name was Run Spot Run (note forehead). He actually had a fractured leg and the owner was still racing him until he could not finish his last race. Believe it or not, he was just going to kill him but the Animal Rescue League asked if they could take him and the owner said "I don't care what you do with him". Can you imagine destroying such a beautiful animal just because he wasn't making you any money? Anyway, the ARL put about $1,000 operation into him, pinning his leg. That's where I came in. The minute I saw him I knew he was the one. To see him run now you would never know that he had ever had a broken leg. And no, I don't have any other dogs (yet!).

music&dogs
05-23-2004, 03:26 PM
How old is Ramses?
Yes, I can imagine his being raced with an injured leg. These animals are merely commodities to too many people.
So happy you two found each other :D :D :D

RIXELLIE
05-23-2004, 08:35 PM
He will be four this coming August 29th. I know the month and year because of his ear tattoos and the exact day I got from an internet search using the tattoos.

Zen Doggies
05-25-2004, 07:09 AM
This is my first post to this board, although I've been lurking for a while now, trying to decide whether to go ahead and get an Element (looks very much as if I will).

I have two greyhounds (Carla, a 10-year-old black brindle and Charlie, a 6-year-old black) and think the Element might be a good car for them. I couldn't seem to get the picture to work, but am sure your Ramses is a beauty—aren't they all?

Would you care to talk a little about how it is to get your dog in and out of this car, please. Could you tell me there is any trouble with the way the doors open (such as the dog being able to get out without a leash by slipping through into the front seat area)? Charlie doesn't jump into the car the way Carla does; he puts his front legs up and then waits for you to hoist the back end in. :roll: Is the height a problem? Did your dog have any adjustment issues?

And last but not least, where did your dog come from? Mine both came from Greyhound Friends in Hopkinton.

Thanks!

greyhauler
05-25-2004, 09:29 AM
Ramses is GORGEOUS!

I have been lurking on here for a while as I still don't have an E (although we are due to pick it up next week :D ). I also have two greyhounds, Trudy (5 year old brindle) and Clyde (5 year old red fawn).

--betsy

RIXELLIE
05-25-2004, 10:15 AM
In response to Zen Doggies, I'm not sure why you couldn't see the picture...I thought that it was already opened on this thread (it's actually pretty big). But anyway, I got Ramses at the Animal Rescue League in Salem which I believe is closed now. For more details on him, see my earlier posts above. As far as him getting into the Element, it must be a male dog thing because he does the same thing that your Charlie does. He puts his feet up on the sill and waits for me to "give him ten". I wouldn't mind except that I've seen him leap easily over fallen trees while running full out through the trails and it sure doesn't take him long to leap gracefully onto the couch for his many naps! :lol: Maybe it's the (Element's) roof over his head that stops him. I don't know. I've never had a problem with him trying to get out of the car ahead of me. I just stand in the side door opening as I unhook his harness from the canine seatbelt and put on his leash. Even if he wanted to get out, he couldn't squeeze by the driver's seat and me so I don't think that you will have a problem but then again, you have two dogs so it might be a little trickier.

Zen Doggies
05-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the response, Rixellie. I'm relieved that my Charlie isn't the only one who wants his butt hoisted into the car :D It may well be a male greyhound thing because Carla sails into the car, no problem.

Does your dog sit on the seat, or do you remove the seats or move them out of the way when you drive with him? If so, what do you attach the belts to? We're about to start using seatbelts, too, so I'd love any pointers you may have on that. The seat belts would also ensure that they can't escape from the car easily. If he sits on the seat, does he find it at all awkward with those fairly deep indentations that the Element has? Or does he spread out along the entire back seat? Is the seat deep enough for him? (Sorry to ask so many questions, but I don't know any other greyhound owners who have Elements and this is my chance to find out what I need to know.)

By the way, I was able to see his picture this time and think that Ramses is one gorgeous dog. I love those cow puppies and find the little dot on his head to be quite fetching! He looks like a pretty young dog.

Roos from my pups to yours.

music&dogs
05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
I don't have a greyhound, but my dog is pretty big. In the winter, when the floor of the car is colder, I make a dog bed on one of the reclined back seats. (The other seat is up against the window.) On the fully reclined seat I put a padded exercise mat inside a sleeping bag that I bought at thrift store. This is the exact size to cover the reclined seat. I tie the sleeping bag's eleastic band to the back tie down and I tuck the sleeping bag as best I can down between the side of the seat to prevent it from slipping off the seat. She loves this dog bed; jumps in the car and jumps right up on it. On the floor I have a rubber backed carpeted mat like you see in store entrances. It gives her secure footing. In summer, I remove one seat, put the other up. I put the mat covered by a big comfortor on the floor of the car. (Underthat, be sure to fill in those holes with something so she doesn't keep stepping in them and losing balance.) She always wears a chest harness to which I hook a leash that is attached to that silver tie down on back passenger side of car. The leash prevents her from flying through the windshield, should I have to slam on brakes, but it isn't too confining to move around in the back of the car. She is in the car with me every day and ALWAYS wants to go in the E. Hope this helps.

RIXELLIE
05-25-2004, 09:47 PM
"Roos" back at 'cha...from Ramses to Carla and Charlie.
As far as the seating arrangements, I leave the rear seats both in their regular positions (I do recline the backs a few degrees from straight up) and I have the seating area covered with a blanket (whoever said Greyhounds don't shed much was out of their mind or didn't have a white Greyhound!) I then attach his harness (Canine Seat Belt by Aspen Pet Products, size large bought at Petco) to the pet seat belt (also bought at Petco) which is like a miniature seat belt extension that clicks right into the Element's seat belt buckle and has an eyelet that attaches to the harness ring. This set up works great since he can't wander around in the car (not that he ever wants to) and he can't get out of the car until I attach his leash and then unhook him from the belt. It also has already saved him from slamming into the back of the front seats once when some bonehead caused me to brake hard and sent him flying to the end of the belt. Only problem was, I had to pull over as soon as I safely could and put him back onto the seat from his standing position on the floor...he couldn't figure it out himself I guess. Anyway, good luck with your dogs and your (hopefully) new Element. You couldn't have picked a better dog car. (And I mean that in a good way!) :mrgreen:

P.S. Good choice on the dog breed too! :wink:

RIXELLIE
05-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Just realized that I didn't answer all your questions so in a nutshell:
Yes, he stretches out across both seats. Yes, the seat is deep enough for him. No, the fairly deep indentations don't seem to bother him. Of course, with two Greyhounds, I'm not sure how it will work. You might have to figure something different or else they will be fighting over who gets to ride shotgun!

greyhauler
05-26-2004, 07:23 AM
[quote:6f8b4cbb14=" "]I'm relieved that my Charlie isn't the only one who wants his butt hoisted into the car :D It may well be a male greyhound thing because Carla sails into the car, no problem.[/quote:6f8b4cbb14]

My boy Clyde is also like this. Maybe it's a big goofy boy thing :wink: (In Clyde's defense, he does have a touch of arthritis in his hips, although that does not stop him from jumping on the sofa or the bed!)

My plan with the Element is to take the back seats out and put some sort of foam/blanket combination on the floor. Hopefully the tiedowns will work for their harnesses. I know they are going to love the E though! :D

--betsy

id: 635
05-26-2004, 08:51 AM
I have installed the "puzzle" foam on the floor in front of the back seats - which gives ******* more of a sure footing-- i also one of those small back seat floor mats that i use to cover the edge of the door as he enters so that his feet don't get caught in the door closure thing that juts up right behind the sill --

A fitted sheet covers the back seats under which i've placed a strip of carpet padding to cover the center indentations -- and found a doggie seat belt that has an end which clips into the E seatbelt - the other end has a spring clamp that attaches to his harness "D" ring - he sits with his rear end on the seat and his front feet on the floor- --this set up provides enough room for him to get up onto the seat and lay across it if he wants, or down to the floor - and even to the part of the center console where i keep fresh water for him --

jimr140
05-27-2004, 11:27 AM
I've removed the seats. We have some carpet cutout to fit. On top of that we have a packing blanket and a puffy comforter. Do your greys go in and out the tailgate or the side doors? Mine hate the tailgate. Milo is the brindle and Nero is the black one.

Jim R

http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/da_boys.jpg

They're generally not quite so demonic looking. My photo software does everything except remove doggie eye-glow. :D

greyhauler
06-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Jim, those are some good looking hounds!

Here are my two. Trudy is the brindle, Clyde is red fawn. I also posted pics of our new E in the Image Gallery today :D The dealership we bought at has a grey on staff, a 12 year old boy named Flash!

http://homepage.mac.com/pantone_367/t_c.jpg

brendan
06-07-2004, 07:07 PM
[quote:81dc8cf2a7=" "]The dealership we bought at has a grey on staff, a 12 year old boy named Flash! [/quote:81dc8cf2a7]

He'll save every one of us!

-brendan

VengaBus
06-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Beautiful grey!

We have two--Presto and Chico. Does anyone here post on Greytalk or Rooandrant?

devilvern
08-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Our greyhounds (Drake and Chester) were our main motivator for buying the E.

http://www.upperclassglass.com/images/Drake/drakeball.jpg
Drake (racing name Drake Duvall) is 2.5 years old. We got him in April 2004.

http://www.upperclassglass.com/images/Chester/chestergood.jpg
Chester (racing name Big Cheese) is 4.5 years old. We got him in June 2004.

My wife and I both post on Greytalk.
My name there is Devilvern and hers is FLT