UHaul Trailer Wiring Harness Installation [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: UHaul Trailer Wiring Harness Installation

BigFoot
06-02-2004, 06:48 PM
I picked up a UHaul trailer wiring harness when I had my UHaul hitch installed. This $16.95 Converter gadget hooks into the Honda trailer connector wires and provides the plug for the trailer lights, or in my case, four of the wires for the 7-pin RV plug I'm adding next.

First, the UHaul converter was a minor hassle and I should have just bought the $20 plug and play connector provided by etrailer and other sources, as I had to analyze the Honda plug to determine which wire did each lighting function. The UHaul uses wire taps so the Element plug is still intact, but it was certainly additional work.

On the positive side, the end of the wiring where the trailer connector is has LEDs so testing of all the cutting and tapping can easily be confirmed. Mine passed the smoke test.

So here's the wiring for the Honda trailer connector. If anyone knows what the UNKNOWN/unused wires are used for, I will update this diagram for prosterity. Looking at the end of the plug it has six connectors.

|__| |__| |__| |__|

|__| ________ |__|

UPDATE: Duh, this plug diagram is in the Owners Manual. RTFM!

From left to right, the wire color codes and uses are:

Top Row:
Red w/Yellow Stripe - Tail Lights
White w/Black Stripe - Brakes
Green w/Black Stripe - UNKNOWN USE
Green w/Yellow Stripe - Right Turn

Bottom Row:
Green w/Red Stripe - Left Turn
Black - UNKNOWN USE
All also had two gray spots every 1/2"

The second myterious plug mentioned by others had only one wire, White w/Green Stripe - UNKNOWN USE

Now the pictures. The first shows the installed UHaul device. I stuck it to the wall using velcro. You can see the blue taps. Also in that area are the blue wire connectors I used for reconnecting the output wires. Cutting the wires leading from the Converter was necessary so that I could run the wires through the various holes to get the the hitch area.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/HitchWire.jpg

This shows the wire along the tailgate area. I cut a hole in the existing Honda plug on the right, rather than adding a new grommet as some have done.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/uploads/files/Wire.jpg

daroy
01-27-2005, 09:18 AM
BigFoot,

If you did it again would youdid it the same way? I really would just like a plug in play setup. Please give me your recommendations.

honda enginerd
06-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I installed a T-One Wiring Harness Code: 18336 Price: $25.20 from etrailer.com today which connects to the plug behind the rear inner garnish (near the rear power outlet). I routed the 4 plug through the 30mm rubber blind in the R/S RR Side Panel Outer behind the bumper to avoid cutting the wires.

I can't vouch for the system yet as I have not tested it. Obviously this plug and play harness draws power from the rear combi light circuit rather than running to the battery on it's own circuit.

honda enginerd
06-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Here are pics of the install:

jboyers
04-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Mr. Foot-
I bought the whole shabang from UHAUL today and I got the hitch installed no problem. The wiring is a different story. Your install appears straight forward and logical. In reading many of the other posts today, there are concerns regarding watts, multiplexing wires and power draw and I'm left wondering if a.) your install worked and b.) if you stuck with it. It's been a while since your post, so I figured I'd check in first before I dove in. Thanks again for your help and your contributions to this killer site.

biocube
04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
you may be out of luck. if i remember correctly, the wiring on the 2006 is very different from 2003, 2004, and lacking a section that connects the back plug to the front of the car.

wankerklink
04-16-2006, 06:01 AM
Mr. Foot-
I bought the whole shabang from UHAUL today and I got the hitch installed no problem. The wiring is a different story. Your install appears straight forward and logical. In reading many of the other posts today, there are concerns regarding watts, multiplexing wires and power draw and I'm left wondering if a.) your install worked and b.) if you stuck with it. It's been a while since your post, so I figured I'd check in first before I dove in. Thanks again for your help and your contributions to this killer site.
You're going to need the $120 tow harness from Honda. Do a "search" for more info.

wingdr
04-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Like wankerlink says. Honda changed the wiring for the '05 and '06 "E"s. If U-Haul sold it to ya for your '06, have them install it then :D . Tim

KSB
04-16-2006, 11:13 AM
I had U-Haul install my hitch, but would not let them touch my wiring. Like others have stated, please do a search. My 05 and your 06 have a different wire harness. I went with Honda's. Too many people are having problems if they don't.

E Quipped
02-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Thank you BigFoot for the photo showing the side panel off and access to the rear signal lights. Without the photo, I would had a hard time figuring out how to access the wires. I installed a Hoppy taillight converter on my '05 Element. It worked fine once I got to the wires to be able to tap them. The converter is powered and uses no amperage or current from the car to run the trailer lights. They run off the powered converter. Thanks again.