RIP Nora [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: RIP Nora

SeattleE
06-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Well it finally happened, we had to put down the female of our two elderly Dachshund mixes. Nora has been with my family for going on 14 years now, as my sister pointed out, she has no memories without Nora in them (sis is almost 16).
She and her brother Nick are old, smelly, not so bright, and rather obnoxious...but we're really going to miss her.

peace -
Jesse

PS - At least now she can jump onto the bed again...

:cry:

pedsflightrn
06-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Sorry for your loss. My bullmastiff is in heart failure and we are just waiting for the day when it is time. It is very hard to lose a pet--they are truly a member of the family.

snowshoe
06-06-2004, 08:02 AM
I am saddened to read of your losing Nora. It takes a lot of strength and love to make the right decision. Peace to you and her...

music&dogs
06-06-2004, 09:18 AM
I also want to extend my understanding of your loss. It's hard. Very hard. I'm sorry to hear.

GYPSYTDA
06-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I am sorry to hear that too.. several years ago my in-laws had thier ****er spaniel die.. it was sad he was very ill, (cancer, and multi-surgeries.. etc) My sis-in law is the youngest of the clan, and much much younger then the rest.. so the pup was with her from the beginning.. it was very hard on both the youngest brother and youngest sister..

i had a cat that meant the world to me as a child, who was killed when i was 8 years old.. i know how hard it is, and my wishes are with you and your family!

GypsyWagon
06-06-2004, 02:09 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. It is overwhelming to lose any loved one...but it takes tremendous heart to unselfishly put an end to their suffering. She was blessed to have such a loving family, and I'm sure she won't ever be forgotten. My sympathies to you and your family, and her brother.

NHElement1969
06-06-2004, 05:24 PM
I am so sorry for your loss! I do not have children, nor will I ever, and my three dogs mean the world to me........they range in age from 11 years to turning 2 next week-all three field english setters! I love them so-I can't even fathom having to put one of them down-i just pray when their time comes, they will just go to sleep and not wake up..........again, sorry for your loss, but she sounds very lucky to have had an owner like you! :wink:

peace -
Jesse

PS - At least now she can jump onto the bed again...

:cry:[/quote]

SeattleE
06-06-2004, 08:56 PM
We're getting through alright...it's her brother who's taking it worst. He's just beside himself worrying where she is, I really feel bad for him and not being able to explain to him that she's happy again...

Again thanks for the support, I'll share your well wishes with my family.

Jesse

music&dogs
06-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Seattle, my neighbor just lost one of two dogs. I know these dogs because I dog sit for them. I have never witnessed anything like that surviving dog's behavior. I've lost dogs of my own, but my dogs mostly cohabitate, I've never had two that tightly bonded. Those two were bonded. That poor little dog was a total mess, additionally because two days later her owners went on a previously scheduled vacation and she didn't know what the hell had happened to all her companions. She cried, she didn't walk she scooted across the floor on her stomach, head was always down and tail tucked when standing, she constantly went to the gate, wouldn't go to the bathroom outside. This normally somewhat ****y little dog went completely whacko. I gave her lots of companionship, attention, did things to distract her from her obsessive grief, etc. Her family returned in a week and I'd say in about two weeks she began to adapt to the loss. It's been about six weeks now and she seems to have established a new sense of reality and is mostly back to her old self. Dogs are creatrues of routine; familiar patterns are important. Once your surviving dog gets used to the new life around your house, it will adadpt. But they definitely grieve when they lose their closest canine compaion, no doubt about it. I would never have believed until I saw that situation.

SeattleE
06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks. Nicky(the male dachsy mix) is getting used to it. albeit slowly.
He isn't exactly the braintrust the Border Collie is...but he usually figures things out eventually. Right now it's really sad to watch him investigating whatever room he's in, looking for Nora. Then he gives up and lays back down. We're better, but she's still missed.

thanks again everyone, I printed out this thread and gave it to my family to read.

Jesse

GYPSYTDA
06-07-2004, 10:16 AM
[quote:66d0f2ef87=" "]Thanks. Nicky(the male dachsy mix) is getting used to it. albeit slowly.
He isn't exactly the braintrust the Border Collie is...but he usually figures things out eventually. Right now it's really sad to watch him investigating whatever room he's in, looking for Nora. Then he gives up and lays back down. We're better, but she's still missed.

thanks again everyone, I printed out this thread and gave it to my family to read.

Jesse[/quote:66d0f2ef87]

it will be awhile for Nicky to get over it.. keep him busy, play with him.. and hopefully all will be ok soon.. (I know what you mean about braintrust.. my border collie yikes frightening smart!! love him!)

I hope this thread helps your family too.. HUGS!

HappyCamper
06-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Jesse ... my condolences to you and your family.

I fully empathize ... I had to make the same decision last September with my 14-year old Scottie, Tascha, after her almost 2-year bout with cancer. It's never easy, even though you know it's best for them. My last words to Tascha were borrowed from the movie Hearts in Atlantis ..... "I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

Give Nick an extra pat on the head for Tascha and me :)