Tire Cost [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Tire Cost

Wade Kilpatrick
07-05-2004, 02:38 AM
Does $567 sound reasonable for all 4 tires to replaced with the stock sized tire? I thought that was a little high, but I haven't purchased tires in quite a long time.

Thanks

Kayakin' Dan
07-05-2004, 03:20 AM
I bought 4 tires recently and $567 sounds ridiculous. I paid $287 for 4 Kelly's but I got a "more popular size" according to the tire guy I dealt with. I got 'em at a Goodyear shop and they're 225/70/16, asopposed to the E's original 215/70/16. They make the E look real "mean" too, again, according to the guys at the tire shop. I was initially looking for the stock tire size and the lowest I could find was $400. Hope that helps.

PaddleMe
07-05-2004, 09:00 AM
The Goodyear Wrangler OEM tires are over $100/pop on tirerack.com, plus shipping, mounting, balancing, etc, so I'm sure you could get over $500 in a hurry. Personally, I haven't read enough praise about the stock tires to justify that premium. Many of the tires in the stock E size on tirerack are around $75, so I'm sure you would be at $400 out the door when finished.

Wade, since you are in Portland, have you tried a Les Schwab? They seem to carry a number of decent "off brands" (not Firestone, Michelin, or Goodyear). I only bought tires there once years ago for an Accord, so I don't have any recent experience, but I recall they were pretty reasonable for that car. I don't need tires yet, but would appreciate the local Portland info once you find out.

Mike

Wade Kilpatrick
07-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Actually PaddleMe,

That quote was from Les Schwab for the 215 70 16. I will keep looking around and see what offers I get.

I will keep you updated.

Silk
07-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Wade: You ought to check out other sizes as Dan mentioned. You would surprised at how much you can save going with a more popular size.

Lowanhair
07-05-2004, 12:13 PM
I put Michelin LTX M/S 235/75R15's on my chevy truck a couple weeks ago.
Mounting, balancing, valve stems and front alignment was $580. They are
excellent tires in every way and tirerack.com does have them in sizes for
the E so your local tire shop should have them as well. I haven't read about
too many people happy with the OEM tire so $500 sounds like too much for
those tires. If your going to pay a premium price you should get a better
tire for the money.

MikeQBF
07-05-2004, 12:40 PM
...but it could certainly bear repeating: the tread wear rating of 340 for the OEM tires is quite low for this class of tire. Plus there's no particular strong feature to this tire - it's "just a tire". When it comes time for replacement, the Wrangler HPs are pretty much at the bottom of my list.

I'll second Lowanhair's recommendation of the Michelin LTXs. I've had excellent service on two different vehicles with them.

Wade Kilpatrick
07-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks fellas,

I will definitely look into that when it's time for them to be replaced. About how long are the stock tires suppose to last?

CHILNLO
07-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Until they wear down :lol:

Wade Kilpatrick
07-05-2004, 04:19 PM
LOL, i know that. I was just asking for a rough estimate in mileage?

MikeQBF
07-05-2004, 05:55 PM
>I was just asking for a rough estimate in mileage?

30-35K. That's what the "340" wear rating means... approximately 34,000 miles. "They" don't say that and will in fact deny it, but the rating system is an expression of mileage roughly based on "average" conditions.

Silk
07-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Learn something new every day. I have always read that it was a numerical for the basis of comparison. e.g. A "200" lasts twice as long as a "100" rate tire. I guess it makes more sense that the number represented some result of testing. You can already see the bean counters at work on this one ...

engineer: Yup, this tire lasts on average 34,000 miles. We'll just tuncate it to 340 for the UTQC.

bean counter: No, no. Are you nuts?!?! We can't expose ourselves to possible litigation if the tires don't lasts that long.

engineer: But it is just an average. Lots of factors can change the ...

bean counter: Forget it. Just tell them it is a rating for comparison. That's the story and we're sticking with it.

krash
07-08-2004, 05:02 PM
[quote:5f6e534701=" "]
engineer: Yup, this tire lasts on average 34,000 miles. We'll just tuncate it to 340 for the UTQC.

bean counter: No, no. Are you nuts?!?! We can't expose ourselves to possible litigation if the tires don't lasts that long.

engineer: But it is just an average. Lots of factors can change the ...

bean counter: Forget it. Just tell them it is a rating for comparison. That's the story and we're sticking with it.[/quote:5f6e534701]

There has never been an effort to obscure this information as you suggest. A minimal amount of research (quick internet search, 5 min or less combing through results) will reveal that the tire's treadwear rating is a percentage based on a "standard" treadwear of 10,000 miles, so a tire with a 340 treadwear rating would be 340% of 10,000 miles, or 34,000 miles.

The traction/temp ratings are also based on standards.

You know what "(R+M) / 2 method" means, right?

More research will reveal why the mpg we typically get in our cars does not really jive with what's printed on the EPA estimate in the window sticker... simply because the test conditions are not related to the typical conditions under which we drive.

See ya-

MikeQBF
07-08-2004, 06:22 PM
>There has never been an effort to obscure this information as you suggest.

I disagree, strongly. A search as you suggested yielded nothing but the usual "weasel words" in additional confirmation of my experiences with this rating. But I don't doubt that sombody, somewhere makes the connection "out loud", so to speak... so could you please refer a specific site or sites?

EDIT - I finally found a site with a reference to the calculation method: http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires.shtml#UTQG. We're both being too glib about the rating - a wear rating of "100" corresponds to 30,000 miles. Via measurements after 6,400 miles on a specific test course, the tire wear life is extrapolated. "Rule of thumb" for using the computed rating in the real world is that it will be 50% of the test course results. So a wear rating of 100 equals 15,000 miles expected life.

Therefore, the expected mileage of the E's OEM tires - at least according to the rating - is "supposed" to be 51,000 miles. I'll believe that when I see it.

So that - and $1.50 - will get you a cup of coffee. :?

krash
07-09-2004, 07:13 AM
[quote:b5a624a1cd=" "]>There has never been an effort to obscure this information as you suggest.

I disagree, strongly.[/quote:b5a624a1cd]

OK, I stand corrected. I have not searched for this information for years (since I had no need to find it after having found it!).

Edit: As I think about it again, you're correct, it's not 10,000 mile baseline, but 30,000 mile baseline that the treadwear rating is based upon.

So in that case, the treadwear rating of 340 seems to indicate 104,000 mile expected mileage. Absurd of course.

FWIW I have only gotten 15-25K out of any tires on my Miata and they have all had treadwear ratings of about 200. Sooo... I'd expect 1/4 of the rating's number out of a tire. Of course Miata folks tend to avoid tires with a treadwear rating much over 200 because they usually don't stick to the road very well with rubber that hard. There's more to tires than treadwear.

See ya-

Silk
07-09-2004, 09:35 AM
You know what "(R+M) / 2 method" means, right?

Yes I do know what that means. Gimme a break, first the patent link and now this. Don't get me started on EPA estimates. I hope the petition by Bluewater Network to amend fuel economy ratings goes through.

Kayakin' Dan
07-13-2004, 02:03 AM
I have no idea what those guys're talking about, but for what it's worth, I had about 23,000 miles on my tires when I changed them, and while they still held air, it was scary sh!t stopping quickly in the rain. The stock Wranglers were crap. I have no scientific basis to back that up, however, that's just my experience.

civicway
07-17-2004, 03:13 PM
I have had excellent results using Cooper tires as a replacement for my Accords OEM tires. Has anyone priced Coopers for the E?

paulj
07-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I put Mastercraft Courser HTR tires in the 215/70/16 size on my RAV4 a couple of years ago, and am considering switching them over to the Element. They show much less wear than the Goodyears. These are equivalent to the Cooper Discover H/T. Pricing with mounting was a bit under $100 per tire, if I recall correctly.

paulj