Yokohama Geolanders are loud [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Yokohama Geolanders are loud

Handy Mann
07-21-2004, 06:17 PM
http://www.hondaelementsucks.net

paulj
07-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Does it occur on every road surface at that speed, or just a specific one? The sound may also change as the tires wear a bit. A sound at a specific pitch and occuring at specific speed, is likely to change as the conditions change slightly.

paulj

Empire
07-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Maybe the "Woooooooooooooooo" sound is a backseat passenger enjoying the ride.

Woooooo Woooo! :D

paulj
07-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Are you talking about H/T-S G501 Geolanders?

In the Tirerack survey these rank pretty high in noise comfort, though they don't have the continuous center rib that some claim reduces road noise. However with a 500AB wear rating, they may have a hard wearing rubber, that may take a while to wear and smooth out manufacturing imperfections.

The H/T Y816 (in 235 width) has this center rib.
The A/T+ (also in 235) has the noisier off road tread.

paulj

Bald Eagle
07-21-2004, 10:39 PM
[quote:cf0e7dbfaf=" "]Maybe the "Woooooooooooooooo" sound is a backseat passenger enjoying the ride.

Woooooo Woooo! :D[/quote:cf0e7dbfaf]

Or that Crown Victoria with the flashing lights you see in the rear view mirror.

Honu
07-23-2004, 01:15 AM
I had the heavy duty Geolanders on my previous Nissan 4WD truck, which were indeed better than its stock tires. They are a heavy duty tire with tough sidewalls and held up well thrashing down rocky northwest dirt/rock roads. BUT they were fairly noisy, as you would expect of an off road tire.
If you read the reviews, the yokohama seems to have a lot of problems with the Geolander lines being out of round and other irregularities that could cause noise. ( I normally like yoko's)

What REALLY suprised me was switching from the Geolanders to the Discount Tires Store brand Arizonian Silver Editions with siping. Yet another step up in traction in ALL conditions, including ice and snow and wore like iron. Unfortunatly they don't make them in an Element size. :cry:

I also would not begin to think that the sidewalls or tread of the Arizonian SD's would be nearly as tough against rock cuts and the really rough stuff. Hard to beat the Geo's for that.

The noise thing is hard to prove that its a tire defect though.

Kayakin' Dan
07-23-2004, 02:36 AM
You should probably go back to the dealer and complain that your offroad tires make noise between 70 & 80mph. Don't be surprised if he hands you a sign. :roll:

Silk
07-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Handy Mann: Could you add your experience to the Reviews and Fitment of Wheels/Tires that work on the Element thread. This makes it easier for everyone to get more info. on tires and wheels. Thanks.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9618

Honu
07-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Those are a whole lot tamer than the LT version of the Geolanders.

I would definitely consider that a defect to be making significant noise on a highway rated tire. And in light of the inconsistent track record for yokos on their Geolander line, I would say you have all the more reason to figure defect.

Please keep us posted on how it turns out. (where ever you end up posting it.) The Geolander is one of the more likely candidates in STOCK Element size. (ALMOST the ONLY option.....) And I have historically like Yokos.

How do defect returns work with Tire Rack? THAT would be a major reason I would hesitate going through them. "Just" shipping the tires back to them could kill any savings.

Ger Brassfield
07-24-2004, 12:03 AM
[quote:5315997e08=" "]I'm going to take Paul's advice and ride it out for awhile. I'll post an update in a few thousand miles.[/quote:5315997e08]

We'll leave the light on for ya.....

gticl
07-28-2004, 01:48 PM
if you do not have aligment done by the time you replace your tires, you will experience "wooooooo" noise around mid level speed caused by uneven surface wore-out.

And for yoko tires, no matter which model, you will get rotation noise at certain speed after several thousand miles anyway. (I have 4 sets of yoko tires on three different cars, and that's what I found)

Honu
08-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Here is a wild idea for the cause of noise.
I was researching tires for our 2000 Accord LX. The Michelin HydroEdge, which had mostly good reviews but some people seemed to have odd noise of "balance" problems no matter what they did.

Finally a tire installer piped in and said what you have to do when the tires are installed is they need to be pumped up to 60psi and then totally deflated to seat them properly, otherwise the bead dips in at spots and causes a "hop".

Back in my bicycle mechanic days (long LONG ago) tire seating problems like this were common with certain brands of tires and the solution was pretty close to that.

Could it be the Geolander bead was "hanging up" and not seating and it finally popped into place, similar to that? Just a thought.

I know with bike tires sometimes they would pop into seated on their own and sometimes they would stay that way forever or until someone finally figured it out and fixed it.

Too bad the Michelin HydroEdge doesn't come in Element size. I bet it would LOOK pretty cool in addition to maybe being a good tire.
(we haven't bought it yet for the Accord, because I am debating going with the directional tread for the first time I would ever have done that.)

shawnblog
09-25-2005, 01:35 AM
All the tire noise has stopped when I hit around 4,000 miles. I didn't gradually stop, it just stopped all together. :D

No other complaints!

After a year, how do you still like (or not) them? I am considering these tires myself.

ramblerdan
09-26-2005, 02:13 PM
No noise problems with my Geos, now at about 10K. Not as good in the rain as I had hoped, though.

shawnblog
09-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks. Now I am torn between these and the Michelins.

martinaj
09-30-2005, 01:06 PM
I've seen reports of Geolander noise at that speed on the Tirerack reviews, as well as reports of them being out of round. Have had mine for 15,000 miles with no unusual noise. I did get an alignment done when I bought them, and did rotation/balancing again at 7,500 miles. They've worn much better than the OEM Wranglers, and traction is far superior. Only negative is that, given their traction, you definitely notice bumps, rumble strips, and expansion joints more. Will see how long they last, but as of now I'd buy them again.

KAP311
09-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I have the same tires on my E when I bought it used. They are louder then most tires I have purchased in the past with the exception of 33x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains for my 85 Jeep Cj 7! I was surprised that my E is prone to more road noise that I would have imagined. Cranking the tunes is the best solution!

Alaskan_Toaster
09-23-2010, 01:08 AM
WOW!! Your FIRST post and you revive a five year old thread!! :shock: :roll: :razz:
I wouldn't go on some of the data originally posted as tires have changed (and improved) since then. Try the tires section to see what other owners have liked over the years..... :? :-)

Oh, BTW WELCOME!!

nas660
09-26-2010, 09:24 AM
I have had the geolander ats for about 5 months, a little noisier than stock of coarse, but nothing to noisy. If yours get noisy just play your music louder!:-)

BLK BOX
09-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I just the Geolanders and they're very quiet compared to the old Firestone Winterforces I had. I love em'! They're so smooth too.

jiminwantagh
09-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Woooooo Woooo! :D[/QUOTE]

That's my line! :lol:

desinia
09-27-2010, 01:28 AM
I just the Geolanders and they're very quiet compared to the old Firestone Winterforces I had. I love em'! They're so smooth too.

Mine just passes the 12,000 mile mark HT/S and I'm very happy with all aspects, although I WAS surprised to go back and see that one of the original posts was a complaint that the Arizonian Silver Edition isn't made in Element sizes. I've made the same gripe as they really ARE great tires and I'd take them over the Nokians, the Michelins, the Yoko's or any of the other popular road tires talked about in here. They'd most likely be the crowd favorite if they were available.