How did anyone ever get their oil filter off? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: How did anyone ever get their oil filter off?

spdrcr5
07-25-2004, 06:36 PM
I tried to change my oil for the first time today and could not for the life of me get the darn thing loosened at all. I used every oil filter tool known to man... short of sticking in a screw driver to get the thing loose. I was afraid it might be too tight from the factory so I tried it first before draining the oil.

Since I have an appt on Tuesday morning for my 10k service I will have them change the oil, using my Mobil 1 0W20 and my Honda filter and crush washer. Going to see if I can get them to waive the oil change charge since I couldn't under any circumstances change the oil.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have never had an instance where I couldn't remove an oil filter.

Kapt Nemo
07-25-2004, 07:39 PM
The first time I changed mine, hte filter was unusualy tight.. but I managed with a strap wrench. you might want to investin one, or check with your dealerships Snap-On dealer about getting a filter "cap-type" socket..

MikeQBF
07-25-2004, 09:01 PM
I had to use a big pipe wrench. :shock:

It's not unusual for the factory-applied oil filter to be unusually difficult to remove. Since I always do my own changes and (used to) have the bad habit of buying new cars too often, this was a known issue.

And make darn sure that the gasket comes off with the filter!

spdrcr5
07-25-2004, 11:30 PM
I have both a strap wrench for the oil filter and also one of the kind that goes over the end of the filter and you use a ratchet driver with. I could not budge the darn thing.

This is my 5th new car since 1987 and I have never had an issue like this before. I am well aware of oil filters being applied ridiculously over-tightened from the factory... but this is insane.

Guess I will see what the dealer says about this on Tuesday...

drphun
07-26-2004, 01:10 PM
I just changed mine last week and it was very tight, but I was able to get it off. My strap wrench was too large so I ended up taking it off by hand. I did take a rubber disk for removing lids from jars out of the kitchen, though, and used that .

I did buy some ramps so that I could get under the E to get at the filter. I don't know how I would have gotten at it otherwise.

blubber76
07-26-2004, 01:23 PM
How many miles did you wait before your first oil change?

boxonw
07-26-2004, 01:59 PM
I noticed that too, the filter in a awkard location and with the strap wrench that didn't always work either. After a number of attempt the filter got slippery but I have one more trick up my sleeves. I grabbed a sheet of sandpaper, folded in haft with the sand on the outside, put it around the filter this provide enough grip to turn by hand or by the strap wrench. It works every time. :D

spdrcr5
07-26-2004, 03:45 PM
I never thought of the rubber jar lid thing. I have one of those at home. I also never thought to use sand paper either... hmm.. Should I change my oil tonight when i get home at 9:30pm... hmmm

I am currently at 9,850 miles... Going in for my 10k service at 7am tomorrow. Not bad for having bought the E Jan 2, 2004... and commuted to NYC via train for about 6 weeks... lol I'm hoping to not hit 20k until early next year and not before the end of this year.

BigFoot
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Be sure to unscrew it in the right direction! :shock:

Honu
07-27-2004, 01:31 AM
Yes it was not only on insanely hard, but had the slickest surface of any filter I have ever used and seemed just a bit undersized for the cup type "filter sockets" I prefer. It took a bunch of time and a sore arm for the first time break loose. Finally added a jar opening sheet of material to the wrench setup.

NOW the gasket is oiled, filter fits the filter wrench and its ONLY tightened to spec.

I grab the filter from above, BTW. Its MUCH easier to change the filter than our 2000 4-banger Accord. THAT is a REAL nightmare.

I am expecting it to be much easier with in the future with that top access possible and easier to remove filter that FITS The standard cup and ratchet wrench setup.

YMMV

spdrcr5
07-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Dropped the E off at the dealer this morning and explained the situation to them. I said the oil would have been changed if the factory had not over-tightened the folter. I gave them my oil and filter. They are going to charge me just for 15 minutes labor, about $10.

blubber76
07-27-2004, 10:02 AM
I guess its safe to say everybody is waiting for the 10,000 mark for their first oil change?

gravynek
07-27-2004, 10:42 AM
I guess its safe to say everybody is waiting for the 10,000 mark for their first oil change?

Just the thought of waiting 10k for the first oil change kinda makes my butt pucker... :shock: I guess it's just experience with old Jeeps that's causing the half-moons in my seat...

blubber76
07-27-2004, 11:35 AM
I agree, but thats what they tell me

BigFoot
07-27-2004, 12:18 PM
If I hadn't been on a road trip, I would have changed mine at 5,001. As it was, I ended up at 9,100 after towing a trailer for 2,000, so yes, my butt was puckering too!

Poor abused Element, felt so sorry for it slurping that dirty stuff!

drphun
07-27-2004, 03:40 PM
[quote:295f10731b=" "]How many miles did you wait before your first oil change?[/quote:295f10731b]

I waited until after 5,000.

blubber76
07-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks, thats when i am going to schedule

cornershop
11-02-2004, 11:48 PM
it took me a while to get the filter off, but i found out i could get it with my bare hands.

my chest was under the oilpan and i was pretty much hugging the exhaust. I stuck my right hand through a opening around the suspension/sway bar area, and my left hand between a subframe/axle/exhaust manifold and my left hand touched the oil filter.

Most of my right hand was on the oil filter and tried to turn it, and i placed my left hand over my right hand and turned and loosened. i was like, hell fookin yes!!! it then came off. woot!

LEGO MY E
11-03-2004, 12:18 AM
I used my teeth

http://www.peculiarpeople.com/Images/MiscPhotos/toothless_man.jpg

lars161
11-03-2004, 01:03 AM
page 8 part # OF636

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2125&select=&page=8

best ten dollars you'll ever spend.

http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/of636.jpg

Honu
11-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Lars, keep spreading the word on that tool!

I "designed" that tool in my head every time I come across a stuck filter. Dang excited to see it available and for so cheap. And it should work better than that guy's teeth....

Mine is being shipped as we speak and I am almost looking forward to the oil changes on ANY of our 4 heavily driven cars that this will fit and whose oil I get stuck changing. (ah, the problems of being the only guy in the family, and having non-mechanical daughters...)

8)

hownowcb
11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
First, my guess is that the oil filter is installed at the factory "dry" -- that is, no film of oil on the gasket! Once I figured out the right approach (definitely from the top) and which existing wrench I had that would work, it popped loose as easy as can be! I was astonished that I'd thought it was screwed on so tight, when it actually wasn't - it was just breaking the rubber gasket's dry grip on the metal that seemed so stubborn. I wrapped some no-slip stuff like some use on the dash onto my "small" sized metal-strap-type wrench which fits my socket wrench, and presto! My strap is the size that fits VW/Audi style filters perfectly, but is slightly too big for the factory Honda filter without the grip stuff added. It'll work fine with the larger filters I use now, as well.

Second tip is that 1.75 liter plastic booze bottle necks are the absolutely perfect funnel for refilling the fresh oil! I cut mine off right where the flair ends, and was worried at first that I should have left more of the "bottle" to hold more oil. But, since the neck actually screws into the oil fill threads tight enough to never tip over, but loose enough to let the funnel "breathe", you don't need "capacity"! 4.4 quarts pour in from a five quart container in about 5 seconds flat! No funnel burps, no runs or spills! Plus, you get cheap booze included for the price of most oil-change specific funnels! :lol: 8)

LEGO MY E
11-11-2004, 12:35 AM
http://www.drinkingstuff.com/images/products/577_m.jpg

mcookd
10-14-2005, 08:05 PM
it took me a while to get the filter off, but i found out i could get it with my bare hands.

my chest was under the oilpan and i was pretty much hugging the exhaust. I stuck my right hand through a opening around the suspension/sway bar area, and my left hand between a subframe/axle/exhaust manifold and my left hand touched the oil filter.

Most of my right hand was on the oil filter and tried to turn it, and i placed my left hand over my right hand and turned and loosened. i was like, hell fookin yes!!! it then came off. woot!

I did the first oil change on my wife's recently purchased 03 EX last weekend...I took a different approach, I took the passenger's side front wheel off. With the vehicle on jack stands for safety, the filter wasn't too hard to get to from the wheel well. Just an idea.

RainDriver
10-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Getting that filter off is near-impossible without the right tool, and none too easy even if you have it. The right tool is an oil filer wrench (like a super-jumbo socket) that fits on your 3/8 drive wratchet. I tried a plastic-carbon thing, it slipped; got a good metal one for maybe $10 at my auto jobbers. You can take the high road, or the low road, to get at the filter. I always seem to end up on the low road, mostly to get a rag under to catch drips. And she do drip, son. You can wipe it up, or burn it off, your choice.

The first time taking off the filter is a bugger, it's on overly-tight from the factory. But once you bark a knuckle or two, it's okay. Everybody knows you have to bleed on your motor to make the voodoo work, right?

Fer gosh sake check the big oil filter quality thread. A01=good, AO2=bad. I got a Malaysian-made A01 that is both good and cheap.

loufrankel
10-20-2005, 08:18 PM
In regards to the discussion of oil changes, my opinion is you can't do it often enough. I've taken enough thermodynamic classes to know that fresh oil keeps the world turning. I changed my '05 E at 3000 then 7000 and will change at 11,000 this weekend. After that, I'll settle on 5,000 mi intervals. When you do it yourself, it's so cheap and you learn your car so much more. Maybe it's the engineer in me, but I love doing oil changes. :) I also had quite a time getting the first filter off but it should easier now that I lubed the seal before seating it.

My question is do you all replace your washer that goes between the oil pan and the plug?

(BTW: This is my first post, did I do ok?)

ElementHunt
10-20-2005, 10:08 PM
i got it off, paid the dealer 21 bucks for an oil change.. very easy indeed... :|

bluecivic107
10-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Did my frist Oil Change @ 10,000 miles (according to the manual).
Attempted to take the filter off by:
1. Using a sand paper to grip the filter & turning by hand. NO LUCK!!!
2. Jammed a screw driver into the filter and turning...YES, SUCCESS...but would NOT recommend this method.

Honu
10-25-2005, 01:10 AM
One of the best $11 investments I have ever made was the "spider" tool for removing the filter. It CAN'T slip. It grabs tighter the harder you honk on it.

spdrcr5
10-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Honu, where'd ya get that filter remover from? Does it come in different sizes or is it 1-size-fits-all?

Honu
10-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Honu, where'd ya get that filter remover from? Does it come in different sizes or is it 1-size-fits-all?

Matco tools is where I got the EXCELLENT filter wrench.

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2125&page=8癓

Its a very dangerous site for tool junkies though. :)

I bought the OF636 (careful there is a similar bigger model) which fits my Element, our Accord, and my daughters' Tercel and Camry.

I can't believe I have been changing oil all these decades without this gem of a tool. It makes ALL the cars a breeze to change. It not only grips but its easy to get in tight places.

mookie
01-04-2006, 01:22 AM
now that we got the oil filter loose-
is there a trick for keeping the oil in the filter from spilling all over the under carriage???!!!
my e is new and i don't relish the idea of smelling oil burning and having an oily under belley!!!

gfxguy
01-04-2006, 06:51 AM
I did the first oil change on my wife's recently purchased 03 EX last weekend...I took a different approach, I took the passenger's side front wheel off. With the vehicle on jack stands for safety, the filter wasn't too hard to get to from the wheel well. Just an idea.

Yeah, but your oil had been changed before. The filter from the factory was, as everyone has been saying, nearly impossible to get off.

I also used the strap wrench but had to put something under (the filter is pretty smallish). I used an old leather yardwork glove - put the glove over the filter, put the wrench over the glove. Didn't think of sandpaper, but what I needed was something bulkier - don't know if I could have tightened the strap around the filter with sandpaper. The glove bulked it out enough that I got a nice tight fit.

TimD
01-04-2006, 09:56 AM
(Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find a thread on it) If you do your own oil changes on an E still under warranty how do you document it to make sure you don't void the warranty? Do you Just keep oil and filter receipts?
Tim

3_3rdHonda
01-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi road [from above] or low road [getting under the vehicle]?

I vote low road; it's always good as the truckers say, 'to under it,' [always wear safety googles]; use adequate weight capacity jack stands on something solid like thick plywood if necessary, and chock the wheels if you'r going to jack it.

No telling WHAT you may find under there.

ShaneS
01-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I had the same problem, tried 3 different filter wrenches. Finally I used the type that connects to a rachet and squeezes these fingers in tighter when you turn it. I used it several times now and it is great.

spdrcr5
01-04-2006, 11:30 AM
(Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find a thread on it) If you do your own oil changes on an E still under warranty how do you document it to make sure you don't void the warranty? Do you Just keep oil and filter receipts?
Tim

Yes, save the receipts. That is all that is needed, for both the oil and the filter as well as the crush washer so it doesn't get questioned.

Honu
01-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I had the same problem, tried 3 different filter wrenches. Finally I used the type that connects to a rachet and squeezes these fingers in tighter when you turn it. I used it several times now and it is great.

Such as the bargain $11 OF636 wrench.....

"http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2125&page=8癓"

Ranger
01-05-2006, 02:00 PM
is there a trick for keeping the oil in the filter from spilling all over the under carriage???!!!
my e is new and i don't relish the idea of smelling oil burning and having an oily under belley!!!

Just place a plastic trash bag on top of the cross member.
You can even tape it in place if needed.

Otherwise you'll be dripping oil for a month.

mvalore
01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
I just fount that if you lay over the top of the engine (preferably when cold) that you can reach behind the engine and actually get a filter wrench on it and reach it to unscrew after it's loose. I too have laid on the ground and also removed the right wheel.

warlock
08-21-2006, 06:17 PM
I had this problem too.

Best way I've ever done. Stumble into it actually. I've heard many ways, even with punching through with a screwdriver.

But here is the best way.

Use a Metal Adjustable C-Clamp.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0006V6MG4.01-A3LDAX1Z8QDFC._AA156_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You will figure out. So easy turning it, specially in a very tight tight spaces.

typer98
08-21-2006, 08:57 PM
they get it on there pretty tight from the factory...I experienced first "hand" tonight during my first oil change.

It was also a nice time to find out that my TWO filter wrenches were too big...

RainDriver
08-21-2006, 11:15 PM
So I get start on my recent service, drain the oil, and go for my filter wrench, the good metric metal one. Absent. Hmm. Look around. Look around again. Go try to buy another - not available at local parts shops! Yoinks.

So I take one of the wrong size (standard #5) and put in a layer of the handyman's helper - duct tape - on its too-large inside. Voila, it grabbed enough to get the old filter off.

But I still get the filter-oil spilling down the backside. I vow to put in one of those racing-style filter repositioning kits...eventually. Meantime, I have to mop up the driveway.

Dom.five
08-22-2006, 12:07 AM
I just slip a plastic bag over the filter, AFTER it's lose. Then remove it from the top. It keeps the oil from getting all over the place. It works well!

Dom

paulyofpa
08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
my trusty 20" Blue Point Adjustable Oil filter wrench that fits practically all make and models and works very well on Diesel oil filters! I worked as an auto mechanic for 15 years, yes many at Honda dealers. An old timer showed me this special tool and was all I ever needed after that! takes a special touch tightening with these though, can easily over tighten!

1fastvx
08-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Heres what I use. I just pop off the front right wheel and loosen the filter with this set of filter pliers. Its takes me two seconds to get the filter loose.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/36700-36799/36778.GIF
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36778

John

mayberry-e
08-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I've always just hand tightened my filters and never had a problem. Someone let me know if this engine and vehicle sould be treated differently. No problem so far though.

1fastvx
08-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I always hand tighten mine also, though nine times out of ten when you go to take it back off it will not come off by hand.

John

SBGamesCone
08-31-2006, 10:00 AM
I am considering starting to change my own oil, but I'm a tad nervous. Got any tips for someone that has never done it?

gfxguy
08-31-2006, 01:21 PM
I just slip a plastic bag over the filter, AFTER it's lose. Then remove it from the top. It keeps the oil from getting all over the place. It works well!

Dom

HEY! Now that's the first good idea I've seen in a while! I did the trick of putting the bag where the oil leaks to keep it off the car, but it still made a giant mess.

To SBGamesCone...

Trial by fire. I'd never done any maintenance on my car when my dad made me change the oil myself. It really opened my eyes - it's kind of annoying, but it doesn't take long and isn't very difficult.

The bonus is not in saving money, because it might cost you about the same, but it's knowing that you got the right parts (is "quickie-lube oil emporium" going to have the good Honda filter that you can get from H and A?), knowing that you did a good job, knowing that you didn't get ripped off (how many places don't even change the oil filter when they think they're dealing with a loser?), and you know nothing stupid will be done to your car that can make life worse - like all the times I've heard of these places not putting the dipstick all the way, or using the wrong oil (how many places keep a supply of quality 5w20?)

The other bonus is you get to do it on your schedule. Even these places that promise you'll be out in a half hour - you have to get there and back, which around here is like another half hour. You have to waste gas to get there. And sometimes they won't honor that if it's busy, or you may need an appointment...

Whatever. It's easy, you should try it. It might cost extra the first time (buy drain pan, filter wrench, stuff like that), but then it's smooth sailing.

SBGamesCone
08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks gfxguy, I think I may call my brother and have him come over and help me. Aside from the filter wrench and a drain pan, what else should I need? I'm pretty skinny, but I know some people need ramps to get up under there properly.

dIRtdoG
09-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Found and old thread for LARS161 dated 2004 about what filter wrench to use. Much appreciated, this tool really helped to remove the filter easily considering the placement of the filter above the cross member. Thank you LARS161.

gfxguy
09-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks gfxguy, I think I may call my brother and have him come over and help me. Aside from the filter wrench and a drain pan, what else should I need? I'm pretty skinny, but I know some people need ramps to get up under there properly.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Not getting much time to read EOC lately.

I did get ramps, they were pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking ($40?), but then if you decide to that this worked out OK, you might find yourself using them for other things.

The complete package for an oil change, including a new filter...

Oil, of course.
Filter (although you don't have to change it every time... I do, though... I figure that I'm going through the trouble, might as well, it's only a few dollars more).
Crush washer (they recommend replacing the washer on the oil pan bolt each time... it's only a few cents, really, so why not?)
Oil pan bolt... I pretty much always reuse mine. Unless you strip it, there shouldn't be a problem.

So those are the essentials for each change - all you REALLY need is oil, you CAN keep the filter in and bolt and washer, if you want to, but I figure if I'm going through the trouble, might as well change it all.

The parts you'll reuse:

Drain pan
Filter Wrench (although after I finally got my filters off, like the others, I hand tighten... I'm a pretty beefy guy, and don't have much of a problem taking them off, either).
Ratchet set or wrench for the bolt.
Ramps or some other way to get under the car.

You might very well have enough room without ramps if you're skinny, but at least don't even try two jacks... two jack stands, maybe, but I haven't seen any that work well with the Hondas I've owned...

Most automotive parts stores that sell oil around here will also let you bring in the old oil for recycling.

With all those things, it sounds worse than it is. I also use large pieces of cardboard under where I'm working for two reasons - it's hard to slide under the car on concrete, and I always manage to spill enough that I make a big mess.

I've been debating whether doing it myself is worth it. Before I just had my civic, and then after buying the Element, my other car was a minivan, and I just let Honda do that one. But now I have two Elements, so if I do both at the same time, it works out really well, and I just buy a bunch of the same parts because they both use the same. The special at H and A was a six pack of filters for the price of five, for example, so I got that, and while I was at it I just ordered a bunch of crush washers to go with it. Then there's other really simple maintenance, like air filters and stuff... change the air filter and top off some of the other fluids while the oil is draining out.

Then after all that, make sure the tires are inflated properly, and I fill it up and pour in some STP gas treatment. Car purrs like a kitten. I have the satisfaction of doing it myself, which is pretty nice. I overfill the tires by a couple of pounds, which can stir up quite the debate on EOC, but I like the way it feels when I drive better that way, and it's not a whole lot (there was one guy who put like 10 extra pounds in... I'd never do anything like that, just two or so).

Anyway, go for it... the worst that can happen is you say "oh, this sucks, I'm just going to take it somewhere next time." And you might have spent a little extra for a wrench and ramps (try and borrow from someone the first time).

My dad also made me put in new brakes (definately get the maintenance manual for something like that). He was right - it turned out to not be very difficult at all. I was so scared because it's a "safety" system, but it worked out just fine and I've been doing my own brakes for about 15 years now with no problems.

It turns out a lot of this stuff is not too difficult. Certainly for anything complicated I take it somewhere trustworthy, but basic maintenance isn't bad at all. Sometimes when it needs everything, and I just don't have the time, I'll drop it off somewhere.

SBGamesCone
09-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the reply. I did manage to do the oil last weekend. Wasn't hard at all and I got my dad to bring over his 2 ton floor jack so all was well.

mcookd
10-22-2006, 11:32 AM

A very good mechanic gave me this idea, I tried it and it worked great. Before the filter is loose place a big piece of aluminum foil underneath it. If you're careful you can shape it to funnel the oil away from everything. I couldn't use this idea for my truck because the aluminum foil might touch the starter electrical cables. Worked great on the E, though.

Farther
10-23-2006, 05:39 PM
This is for sale by HandA Honda. It looks promising and durable.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/oildeflector-element.jpg

Built B16A
02-05-2007, 03:44 AM
HandA sell's filter wrenches, and im sure so does your local parts store..

here's what i use.

http://typegsr.netsignia.net/JDM/element/filter_wrench.jpg

sbox
05-16-2007, 11:57 AM
So I had to take it to Jiffy lube $$$, but Walmart has done it since..

Dink
05-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I changed mine last weekend. I actually bent the filter pliers. It took me an hour to just remove the filter. There is just no call for it to be that tight....

notacop
05-29-2007, 04:35 PM
The first oil change we had to drive a screwdriver through the filter and use that to turn it. There was no way to get a filter wrench up in there.

After that i used either the K&N filters with the nut on the bottom, or just used my "gorilla arms" as they have been called to simply muscle it off bare handed.

It is a rather tricky place to get a good grip.

Elementery
05-29-2007, 11:35 PM
I just use a pipe wrench. Works for me! paper towels are real handy too.:)

liroku
07-10-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm too poor/lazy to buy a special wrench or something. Before I even got the element, I was using scraps of that no-skid rubbery crap that you put on the inside of drawers and whatnot to remove oil filters. It'll usually grip even if there's a little bit of oil on the thing. Works even better if the car's warm. A little bit of elbow grease and a good grip'll usually get that sucker off.

Honu
07-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm too poor/lazy to buy a special wrench or something. Before I even got the element, I was using scraps of that no-skid rubbery crap that you put on the inside of drawers and whatnot to remove oil filters. It'll usually grip even if there's a little bit of oil on the thing. Works even better if the car's warm. A little bit of elbow grease and a good grip'll usually get that sucker off.

Did removing the filter by hand with a bit of grippy stuff ACTUALLY work on a FIRST TIME filter removal on an Element for you?!

I must make mental note not to challenge you to an armwrestling contest!

dohcvtec
07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
i diy the oil change for my E for the first time last weekend
i hand twisted the oil filter off..it was tight..but i got it off..
pretty easy job i would have to say...

MountainMan
07-30-2007, 07:31 PM
I've been lurking for a few months now, ever since I bought my new E, and this is my first post. I want to thank everyone on here for all the great posts. I gleaned a lot of great advice and my first oil change on the E was quick and painless. I removed the front passenger tire and removed the filter from the wheelwell, using a filter wrench from Harbour Freight that was recomended earlier in this thread. I didn't even try removing it by hand, but it came off really easy with the long-handled wrench. My dashboard indicator said that the oil life was still at 30% at 5600 miles, but I figured that was long enough for the original oil. I replaced it with Mobile 1 5W-20 and a Napa Gold filter, as this seemed to be the combination with the greatest consensus as "the best". Thanks Again Everyone.

Cyclist_306
07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Mountain Man, First welcome aboard!. This is a great web site, and like you I lurked for a couple of months while I was getting ready to buy. I have learned so much from others here and at our local meets have been great and I have met some great E owners.

When I removed my filter I used a metal band strap wrench. Never had any problems. Just make sure you check for the o-ring being removed with the filter and if it stays, make sure you reach up and pull it off before installing the new filter.

The oil deflector from H&A is well worth the $20 when draining the old oil.

MountainMan
07-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Cyclist_306, thanks for the warm welcome. I had some trepidation about submitting my first post. I didn't want to get flamed for saying something stupid or adding to a thread that had been completely beat to death. But I wanted everyone who contributed to this particular thread to know that I found their advice helpful and I enjoy seeing the differing opinions. BTW, thanks for the additional tips about checking the O-ring and the usefulness of the oil deflector. The only additional advice I can offer from my experience is in resetting the "maintenance minder" on the dash. My 07 EX displays the oil life in a numerical percentage on the odometer. To reset, you have to hold in the odometer reset button for at least ten seconds and it will start to flash. After it starts flashing, release and then push it in again for another ten seconds and it will reset to 100%. Obviously it's based on mileage, so time to change your oil will vary on how and where you drive. I'm in a dusty area of Texas, so I changed mine at 30% oil life remaining. On a side note, I'm a cyclist as well, however as my username implies, most of my pedaling is done off-road. My vehicles other than my "E" are a Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Redline Monocog 29er, Electra Paperboy, Electra Jester, and an Electra Rat Fink. Catch ya on the cycling threads sometime. Thanks Again!

primerhb55
09-18-2007, 08:31 PM
what i noticed the last 2 times i did a first oil change on the 2.4 v-tech's is they dont have cap wrenches in the auto parts stores that fit (they are all too big). But some have a tool that attaches to a 3/8 socket wrench that has 3 arms on it and as u turn it clamps down on the filter. And the good thing is that it only works going one way so you cant tighten the filter anymore. But that with a peice of sandpaper folded in half will get it off no problem

Mark C
09-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I have a steel cap wrench I bought at Pep Boys. It works every time!

sketchypro
11-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Can't comment on the 1st oil change, got my E used. Got one of these at sears
for $12, someone described in a previous post.

To avoid spills get some "Stanley SuperChem Gloves" or equivalent. You can unscrew/hold the hot oil filter without dropping it.
Also you can use it to install filter tight enough by hand 'cause the rubber really grips the filter.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1335036&cp=&sr=1&kw=gloves&origkw=gloves&pg=5&parentPage=search&searchId=32547347973

Fozzy
11-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I'll have to confess here that I was going to change the oil myself this weekend. Looked around for the parts and the oil and gauged the weather and just went to the dealer today and had it done. It cost $29.84. I did not have to crawl around on the ground, I didn't have to get hot oil in my armpit, I got the genuine Honda products, it was done in less than half an hour and they washed the Element to boot.. I just cannot see much of a benefit in cost and or time. There is something to be said for doing it yourself and trust me, I have had plenty of experience in drive way repairs and service.. but this was just the best fit for me today.

Brawsie
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I'll have to confess here that I was going to change the oil myself this weekend. Looked around for the parts and the oil and gauged the weather and just went to the dealer today and had it done. It cost $29.84. I did not have to crawl around on the ground, I didn't have to get hot oil in my armpit, I got the genuine Honda products, it was done in less than half an hour and they washed the Element to boot.. I just cannot see much of a benefit in cost and or time. There is something to be said for doing it yourself and trust me, I have had plenty of experience in drive way repairs and service.. but this was just the best fit for me today.

No $h!t. Spend $30.00 and watch the big screen or spend $30.00 and wallow in fermented dinosaur.

Pass the remote.

Fozzy
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
did they put the oil in your engine or spill it down the frame and all over the block :sad:

No

when they pulled the filter off did they clean up the mess?

Not as far as I could see...

did they let the oil drain for an before they put the plug back in?

doubt it:D

you still have dirty oil in your engine:-P

Yes, they drained if for quite a while.. I supposed you drain your crankcase for a week?

it's not the cost it's a matter of doing it right .

Your point being? I've been doing maintenance on everything from new to antiques, tractor trailers, military wheeled and tracked vehicles, two and four stroke motorcycles, air and watercooled engines and happen to know what right is. If you want to sit there and let an engine drain for 24 hours or spit shine the underside of a car for peace of mind, knock yourself out. Right now you seem to be going way out be argumentative.

mickey52
11-21-2008, 01:04 AM
lighten up there scrappy :D...some people like to do things themselves simply for the peace of mind, just like to keep things clean inside and out.

I've serviced everything from motorcycles to this

http://media.hamptonroads.com/media/content/pilotonline/2007/06/0629truckbig500x400.jpg

WOW, How much Antifreeze does that thing hold?

ajchien
11-21-2008, 03:16 AM
WOW, How much Antifreeze does that thing hold?

um. what the heck is that anyway?:lol:

ApriliaGuy
11-21-2008, 08:53 AM
um. what the heck is that anyway?:lol:

Looks like a Liebherr T282 to me.

The Liebherr T282 is the world's largest dump truck. This vehicle is so large, that to reach the cab, you can climb the staircase in front of the radiator and walk along the balcony (in front of the electrical cabinets)

The payload is something like 260 tons... but I don't think you'd want to have a full load at max speed of 60some miles per hour.

My kid loves them things. Good boy. :)

ApriliaGuy
11-21-2008, 08:56 AM
...some people like to do things themselves simply for the peace of mind, just like to keep things clean inside and out.

And some service people do a good job of regular vehicle maintenace too. :wink:

You don't have to do it yourself to get it done right, you just need to pay attention and do a little research on the guy (or girl) turning wrenches on your pride and joy.

Brawsie
11-21-2008, 09:03 AM
And some service people do a good job of regular vehicle maintenace too. :wink:

You don't have to do it yourself to get it done right, you just need to pay attention and do a little research on the guy (or girl) turning wrenches on your pride and joy.

Yup, it all comes down as to whether or not you trust your mechanic(s). My stealership is good, others I wouldn't trust to keep a tea towel dry in Arizona.

ApriliaGuy
11-22-2008, 04:20 PM
The payload is something like 260 tons...

http://www.hunterdonmill.com/images/eoc/dumptrucksquish.JPG

Wasn't me!

mickey52
11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.hunterdonmill.com/images/eoc/dumptrucksquish.JPG

Wasn't me!

Blind Spot

ol fugly
11-22-2008, 04:51 PM
I just changed my oil and filter along with my brake fluid. For those that would rather use oil and filters from a parts store instead of the dealer I would recommend a high quality synthetic oil and Pur One filters from Purolator. Not only do they have the best filtration internals they now come with a rough surface on the outside that you can really grip. If you lean across the top of the engine and reach down between the fire wall the the engine you can easily grip the filter. No need for tools anymore. I don't work for Purolator but I have been to several lubrication seminars with my work and these were introduced to me during the coffee break by lubrication engineers. Just passing along what I learned. I've been doing 10,000 mile changes for 52,000 miles and I use less than a quart between changes. You gotta love an engine like that!:)

ApriliaGuy
11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
they now come with a rough surface on the outside that you can really grip...

Yes....very nice. I normally use WIX filters, but hadn't replenished my "stock." The Purolator had a new (yellow/tan) coating that was pretty handy (no pun intended). I'm still a "WIX guy," but I think Purolater has a nice product, and the little extras like that coating only make 'em nicer. Both the WIX and Pur One are about the same price too....just about $2 or so more than the cheap stuff.

Daman858
11-29-2008, 04:20 PM
This gizmo has a magnet that attaches it to your oil pan so that the oil will not get all over the cross member. Available from H and A.

raskarle
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
This may sound a little crazy, but if you take off the wheel you can get a good grip on the filter if you reach around

ZOMBIEinvader
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM
This may sound a little crazy, but if you take off the wheel you can get a good grip on the filter if you reach around

hey...thats what I do. Have you been watchin? I usually rotate my tires when I do the oil change. Access to the filter couldn't be better.

I tried it the Aprilla way and just ended up stuck head first in the engine bay.

Biz Mattie
12-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes....very nice. I normally use WIX filters, but hadn't replenished my "stock." The Purolator had a new (yellow/tan) coating that was pretty handy (no pun intended). I'm still a "WIX guy," but I think Purolater has a nice product, and the little extras like that coating only make 'em nicer. Both the WIX and Pur One are about the same price too....just about $2 or so more than the cheap stuff.

I used to work (up until a couple of months ago) for the paint company that makes the Purolator paint coatings for their oil filters. That texture is the same that they used to put on the now defunct Advance Auto Parts cheapy oil filter. It was by far my favorite filter for my GF's old Toyota 4Runner which is one of the hardest oil filters I have ever changed.

ayf
12-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Changed oil yesterday, 4890 miles. Didn't have any problems removing oil filter, used "cap" that fits over end of filter, maybe newer models don't have the stuck filter problem. Couldn't find washer, it wasn't on the bolt and didn't seem to be on oil pan. Used Mobil 1, 4.5 quarts, will check today to see what dipstick shows.

ZOMBIEinvader
12-30-2008, 08:01 AM
For hard to remove filters I have used an old belt. Loop the belt over the filter and through the buckle reversed and stretch tight. If you get the leverage right it does not slip and grabs hold of the filter.
Haven't needed to do that on the e.

Jackson49
12-30-2008, 01:46 PM
I tried to change my oil for the first time today and could not for the life of me get the darn thing loosened at all. I used every oil filter tool known to man... short of sticking in a screw driver to get the thing loose. I was afraid it might be too tight from the factory so I tried it first before draining the oil.

Since I have an appt on Tuesday morning for my 10k service I will have them change the oil, using my Mobil 1 0W20 and my Honda filter and crush washer. Going to see if I can get them to waive the oil change charge since I couldn't under any circumstances change the oil.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have never had an instance where I couldn't remove an oil filter.

spdrcr...I had the same problem on my first oil change. I went to the Honda dealer and shucked out 25 clams for the oil filter wrench. Put it on the filter, attached a 3/8" drive ratchet and it was off. I think Honda hires gorillas at the engine assembly plant to install these filters. I thought about using the old screwdriver through the filter trick but it would have been messy. I also purchased the oil deflector so the oil does not run all over the front end components when you remove the filter. I got that at Handa.:D

ajchien
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
If anyone is looking for a filter wrench, Walmart or Pepboys or any parts stores should have the equivalent filter wrench for about $5. Just find one that fits the M1-110 or Purolator 14610 or Bosch 3323 and it'll fit the Honda filters.

NighthawkBlackPearlEX-P
12-31-2008, 06:16 AM
I bought a 64mm, 14-flat oil filter cup wrench from the Honda dealer that fit perfect on the 15400-PLM-A01. When I went to use it on the 15400-PLM-A02, it didn't grip the filter at all. Heads up, H and A says their wrench is interchangeable. I doubt it.

ayf
12-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Checked oil dipstick, after putting in 4.5 quarts, found level to be between two "marks". I think its safe to assume that it takes more than 4.5 quarts to reach top mark. I see some discrepancies on this and it puzzles me, unless the capacity is different for each model. If you take your own oil and get it changed by "someone" else, if they use 5 quarts and the dipstick shows its overfilled, my assumption would be that they didn't do a good job draining the oil or they didn't change your filter. Only my opinion, no facts.:neutral:

ajchien
12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
5 quarts to top mark on my 03 Element.

ajchien
12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
I bought a 64mm, 14-flat oil filter cup wrench from the Honda dealer that fit perfect on the 15400-PLM-A01. When I went to use it on the 15400-PLM-A02, it didn't grip the filter at all. Heads up, H and A says their wrench is interchangeable. I doubt it.

So the A01 and the A02 tops aren't the same? :-(

Re: my post #92, clarification: The filter wrench I have from WM fits the honda A02, bosch 3323, purolator 14610, and M1-110 filters at least.

I presumed it would be the same for all filters that would fit the 03 Element.

E-llini
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
I read up on this thread and others about changing my oil and oil filter. Thank you everyone! I got motivated to do it myself! I went to A-zone and purchased the oil, oil filter and oil filter rachet wrench (see wrench1).
I loosened the oil plug, drained oil, but realized I didn't have the right rachet socket for the old oil filter -- it couldn't grip it. So, I went back to my local A-zone, returned my first wrench, and purchased a new oil filter wrench (see wrench2, but the one I bought you could swivel the handle).
I returned home with the 2nd wrench...and *#!? :x I could barely get it to lock, and I couldn't really turn it, because there wasn't enough room... And finally... #?!* I cut my finger and crushed the oil filter!! :x:x
I then took my wife's car to Wallyworld, to try and purchase another rachet wrench -- a Fram oil cap one -- and saw that they had my oil that I purchased for half the price from A-zone! :x:x:x
So, now for my third attempt and finally attempt on the now crushed filter... and the third rachet didn't work either. :x:x:x:x I reluctantly decided to take it to to the dealership to have them deal with it (this was my first oil change since the previous owner, and I didn't know where he had the previous one done otherwise I would have taken it there and demanded that they remove it!) Anyway, so I put my 1/2 price oil in and drove to the stealership first thing the next morning...
I told them the issue, asked them to remove and replace w/ my new oil filter, and if they had to drain the oil to reuse it. However, they wouldn't do that -- it had to be all Hondafied products. :x:x:x:x:x
After an hour wait, they brought my E in... I was able to watch through the window to see the tech work on it. I was curious as to how he was going to remove that #%&*'ng filter... After seeing him try 3 tools, and another tech using 2 types of channel locks, it was FREE -- after ~ 30mins! :) I felt better, now that it wasn't just me!
On the way, I stopped the my local Azone, and returned wrench #2, and the 4 qts of unopened $$$$ oil.

So, 3000 miles from now will be DIY oil change attempt #2! I'll keep ya'll posted ;-)

Basset Box
05-17-2009, 01:00 AM
So, 3000 miles from now will be DIY oil change attempt #2! I'll keep ya'll posted ;-)

5000 or more is fine for oil change intervals, save your money.

ElementNML
05-23-2009, 08:36 AM
I got mine off with sandpaper and grabbing it from the topside of the engine, reaching down! This worked perfectly seeing as it was only hand tightened! What followed was quite disastrous though.....but I got it off!

Island E
05-23-2009, 10:01 AM
I keep a 4" wide and about 8" long piece of sandpaper in my tool box just for that. :cool:

slimerdogs
05-25-2009, 11:37 PM
When I started mechanics I ofcourse became a basic loafer witch is lube oil filter and I had a LOT of cars come in with tight filters and I have a trick now to take the damn things off besides poking a hole in it with a screwdriver. I have the trusty Snap On prybar witch looks like a huge screwdriver with the tip at a slight angle and get just behind the filter and give it a little tweaking to one side. Not enough to bend it but just enough to get a little oil on the seal and the filter will spin right off most of the time. And believe me I have turned quite a few of them into crushed beer can looking things before doing this.

Built B16A
05-26-2009, 01:03 AM
man.. a pic of your nice high dollar pry bar inside one of those PITA filters would be really nice to see right about now.. :-P

in other words... POST A PIC!!!! :D

ryland
05-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Checked oil dipstick, after putting in 4.5 quarts, found level to be between two "marks". I think its safe to assume that it takes more than 4.5 quarts to reach top mark. I see some discrepancies on this and it puzzles me, unless the capacity is different for each model. If you take your own oil and get it changed by "someone" else, if they use 5 quarts and the dipstick shows its overfilled, my assumption would be that they didn't do a good job draining the oil or they didn't change your filter. Only my opinion, no facts.:neutral:

I've noticed that too. When I put in a 5 qt jug o oil from walmart it takes the whole thing. If I buy a case of 12 quarts of oil it takes roughly 4.5-4.7 I think you really dont get 5qt from the jug. I know the dept of weights and measures will say otherwise but I bet that the descepancy is from the flimsy sidewalls of the jug and how much air and fluid wt expand those walls.

slimerdogs
05-27-2009, 05:00 PM
man.. a pic of your nice high dollar pry bar inside one of those PITA filters would be really nice to see right about now.. :-P

in other words... POST A PIC!!!! :D

You don't poke a hole with the bar you get behind it next to the seal and give the filter a little prying like you were going to tear it off but just enough pressure to get the seal lo leak and the filter will almost come off with your hand afterwards

Built B16A
05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
You don't poke a hole with the bar you get behind it next to the seal and give the filter a little prying like you were going to tear it off but just enough pressure to get the seal lo leak and the filter will almost come off with your hand afterwards

hrm.. sounds interesting. can you at least dig up a picture of this tool?

Island E
05-28-2009, 12:21 AM

Prying against my aluminum block, possibly gouging the seal surface? No thank you.

wjdunham
05-28-2009, 04:48 AM
the OEM Honda oil Filter wrench - get to it by reaching over the top of the engine. Be careful not to burn yourself on the engine.

slimerdogs
05-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Prying against my aluminum block, possibly gouging the seal surface? No thank you.

You don't touch the seal surface and I have not done it on one of these as of yet but you are right and if you did it wrong it could gouge the sealing surface if you put the bar in to far but the one that I am talking about is about a inch wide so it would be impossible to do some damage unless you hammer it with a sledge. Looking at the Honda filter it doesn't have to much of a lip and probably would be difficult to do what I am talking about. The engines that I had to do this on were mostly small block Fords. Damn that makes me feel old. I was taught back when they had points and carbs.:-(

ZOMBIEinvader
06-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Well this was a week of accomplishments. On Tuesday I changed my oil and filter. I was determined to remove the filter from above. I got a step stool and leaned over and onto the engine and managed to finagle my hand down to the filter. With a little effort I got the filter loose and off.
Hooray.... a major LIFE goal accomplished.:)

Mr Tyre
06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Well I just finished my 1st rotation & LOF change at 3300 miles. The filter was sooo easy to get loose, it was scary. ALL I've read lately is how tight the filters are put on, but mine was the opposite. I figured while the R/F tyre was off, I'd look in to avoid crawling under it and getting dirtier, I could easily feel it and it seamed easy enough to get my AutoZone filter end socket on, so once on, I prepared to bust my knuckles on the inner fender. To my surprise only a slight pushing of the ratchet towards the left and the filter was dripping oil, shazam. The only problem is the AZ filter socket isn't thick enough at the 3/8" opening, allowing the socket/ratchet assy. to bottom out before it is fully on the filter; I'm going to make a 1/4" spacer for nest time.
I took some detail pic Iíll post soon, Rick

tack
06-20-2009, 12:26 PM
i changed mine for the first time today at 5000 miles. i put in synthetic mobil 1 and used a new honda filter.

the filter will not come off easily without a 3 prong filter wrench that cost 11.00, it attaches to a 3/8" rachet. it is worth buying for the next time if it gets tight. it takes 4.4 quarts just like the manual says. you should use a new crush washer for the drain plug. it's easiest to get the filter off from the top, by sitting on the front of the engine bay on top of the radiator. put a old towel down for comfort or part of the latch jabs you in the ass. the oil filter drainage deflector is nice to have but not necessary, as you can just put a paper towel below the filter. it will not drain much if you let the pan drain all the way down first.

for those who brag about how cheap it is to get it done at the dealership? how much time off of work did you lose getting it done? or worse yet how much time from your valuable weekend time did you waste getting it done at the dealership? or time wasted scheduling with the dealer? time waiting at the dealership? time getting rides to the dealership? time getting a lift from the dealership to go back to work? furthermore time wasted worrying if the dealership did it correctly? and wasting time reading this and posting about how cheap it is to have the dealership do the oil change?

don't tell me you came out ahead by having the dealer do the job.

time is money and getting it done correctly is invaluable.

shade-tree mechanics rule.

Island E
06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
How much time did you waste by making a rant about wasted time?

<--spent 20 seconds doing this :lol:

tack
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
How much time did you waste by making a rant about wasted time?

<--spent 20 seconds doing this :lol:

ha ha. i saw that coming. no rant just truth. 10 sec.

psschmied
06-20-2009, 06:19 PM
111 posts and 5 years on changing the oil filter?

If it's a choice between having a problem serious enough to bring up here and taking the E in to a dealer for its first oil change, I'd say the time was well spent. Having the vehicle up on a lift makes it easy to do a thorough inspection of the drive train and chassis, and it's a lot cleaner.

My dealer did a tire rotation inspection and adjusted all the other trivial things that I found crawling over the entire vehicle during its first couple months, and it cost about $25. Since that time I've done all the normal service and maintenance whenever it was feasible in my detached unheated garage.

Once I was familiar with the chassis, I didn't have a problem getting the filter off using a cap style wrench from the top or bottom, with or without using ramps in my garage. The only issue was how to control the oil dripping, a subject which has also been beaten to death in the threads.

schessor
11-13-2009, 03:20 AM
From the manual:

"Break-in Period...Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time."

DirtEater
11-17-2009, 04:54 PM
- get to it by reaching over the top of the engine. Be careful not to burn yourself on the engine.

In the past I was able to raise the Element on a rack at a Marine Corps Air Station auto hobby shop. Recently I moved and am not able to do that now, so I had to figure out something else. I learned on this forum that some of you guys are able to get the filter on and off by reaching over the motor. I tried this and couldn't believe how easy it is. Thanks to all of you.

Sprunch
11-17-2009, 05:13 PM
http://www.bosstoolsupply.com/productimages/oem/25128.jpg

Rick92040
01-21-2010, 01:35 PM
there is a hole in the passenger side wheel well that makes it very easy to get the filter off.. If you raise the front with a floor jack a bit. not enough to lift the tire off the ground, you can reach through the hole and grab the filter. It also angles the motor enough to get another 1/2 quart out of the oil pan.

BubbaJePH
12-25-2010, 08:45 AM
My wife's 2005 CRV uses the same oil filter as my Honda 1300R VTX motorcycle. I use the same oil filter wrench I use on my bike. It fits perfectly. I'm not an Element owner yet. Just reading all I can before I make a purchase. Hope this helps.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1449&str=13

Jeff

Rick92040
12-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Funny.. My Honda ST1100 motorcycle uses the same oil filter as my Honda Element..

And I also was on the rail wondering weather or not the Element was the car for me.
Turned out it's the best car I ever bought. It just fits.