Road noise & more road noise [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Road noise & more road noise

fhaxton
08-13-2004, 04:29 AM
Really, it's not that bad. But I do have tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
that gets set off by moderate noise levels at certain frequencys. Anyone
have luck with different tyres. Haven't read too much about this & most
tyre reviews here focus on looks but not noise level. I'm going to try useing
some spray on undercoating in the wheel wells soon. But I think the tyre
brand/model is the main culprit. Going to be putting on some Nokian
Hakkapellitta snows on in a few months. I might be able to figure out how
much is from tyres then. Let me know if you've improved noise with new
tyres--or anything else. It's the only thing that bothers me about this car.
Don't detect much wind or engine noise.

BigFoot
08-13-2004, 07:30 AM
What's a tyre?

brendan
08-13-2004, 12:17 PM
I think it's Canadian for tire. :)

-brendan

paulj
08-13-2004, 12:51 PM
The best bet for reducing road noise is to stay off the chip seal roads. Road surface roughness is as much a factor in noise as any particular tire characteristic. Various tire manufactures claim lower road noise, pointing to things like continuous center ribs, or fine tuning of the tread block size. But from what I've read elsewhere, and seen on these forums, it is hard to predict just how noisy a tire will be. The noise may change as the tire wears in as well.

paulj

Quicksilver
08-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Canadians say tire, hood and gas. Brits say tyre, bonnet and petrol. And I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Kayakin' Dan
08-13-2004, 08:09 PM
And Canadians spell it centre, flavour and colour, eh!
Don't spray on any undercoating without removing the plastic inner fender liners first! Then good luck reinstalling them. I recommend ear muffs...Or a Pilot

brendan
08-13-2004, 10:33 PM
[quote:7593a742fb=" "]Canadians say tire, hood and gas. Brits say tyre, bonnet and petrol. And I could go on and on but you get the idea.[/quote:7593a742fb]

Odd, but google indicated that a significant minority of Canadians use "tyre". I gambled that fhaxton was more likely posting from Canada than the UK.

Turns out neither was correct...it's VA.

So, back to the topic...

-brendan

Tim Vance
08-14-2004, 08:48 PM
[quote:eb81e8aa62=" "][quote:eb81e8aa62=" "]Canadians say tire, hood and gas. Brits say tyre, bonnet and petrol. And I could go on and on but you get the idea.[/quote:eb81e8aa62]

Odd, but google indicated that a significant minority of Canadians use "tyre". I gambled that fhaxton was more likely posting from Canada than the UK.

Turns out neither was correct...it's VA.
[/quote:eb81e8aa62]
You taking another shot at us eh?
that's what happens when you rely on the 'merican google. Next time try google.ca

But back to the road noise issue, it always amazes me when people buy SUV's and trucks, then complain about the difference in rideablity.
Are these the same people that buy houses out by the airport, them complain about the noise? :P

greenmountian boy
08-14-2004, 11:23 PM
fhaxton - what's your point?