Replacement tires [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Replacement tires

B6Busdriver
08-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Well it looks like my Element with 30000 miles on it will need replacement tires by the next state inspection. Any suggestions? Thanks.

rjm161
08-26-2004, 02:01 PM
I just replaced the stock Goodyears with Bridgestone Dueler HL's, not to be confused with the HT's.

They are quite a bit more than the HTs, but I love them. They only have about 4000 miles on them now, so I can't comment on longevity, but they handle 1000x better than the Goodyears (no surprise to me) and they seem better in rain.

It will be interesting to see how they do in snow...I have considered getting a set of Blizzaks and some wheels for winter.

B6Busdriver
08-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info. I just priced them at COSTCO at $114 each. Does that sound reasonable?

paulj
08-27-2004, 07:32 PM
When you say 1000 times better handling, what kind of driving are you talking about? I realize that the number is just an expression, and that it is hard to quantify handling, but I am also puzzled about the confidence that people express when comparing tires. In my experience it is hard to compare the traction and other properties of one tire against another, especially when comparing new against well used.

When my Element (and stock tires) was new it was easy to spin the wheels at a stop light. At a well worn 16000 miles that rarely happens. Is it because the tires now have better traction, or because I apply power differently.

I just took my cars to a tire shop, intending to put the worn Goodyears on the lightly used second car, and put the better wearing Mastercraft tires on the Element. However they convinced me that for only $20 more (than 8 mounting fees) I could get 'like new' used tires on the Element. So now I have 4 good looking Goodyear Integritys - in a 225 width. OK their rating numbers are nothing special, but anythings got to wear better than the HPs, right? Hopefully the $100 for the set turns out to be the bargin it appears to be.

Any change in handling? Not that I could tell. I couldn't make them spin, but maybe my reflexes no longer allow that. Rain or snow testing will have to wait. Noise, if anything, is more with the newer tires - but then again how do you fairly compare new and old?

paulj

joeBoxer
08-29-2004, 09:53 PM
this topic has been brought up maybe a bizillion times. do a search. i have 235/70/16 bridgestone revo a/ts and they are fantastic! (so does empire btw). michelin cross terrains are nice too but cost more. the revos give you the rugged off-road look while the michelins are more swanky.

Bald Eagle
08-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Take a look at http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9618

After you've made your purchase, post a review to that thread so we have a comprehensive resource for tire/wheel information.