Question: Who is using Non-Honda Wheel Locks on an EX? [Archive] - Honda Element Owners Club Forum

: Question: Who is using Non-Honda Wheel Locks on an EX?

JJBagoose
09-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi,

I am interested in buying a set of non-honda wheel locks for my new
2004 EX. I noticed in another thread someone mentioned that honda
makes it difficult to use another brand. No one really confirmed this though.

I just want some input from anyone with an EX who is using non honda locks.

I am interested in buying a set of the MCGards (which type of McGards should I get?) or maybe Guerillas.

Could you let me know what kinda of lock you are using and whether
you ran into a problem.

thanks a bunch

jj

Montster
03-01-2005, 10:49 PM
I just purchased mcguards at a local pepboys for 24.95. The recomended size fits well... although they stick out a little.
What your looking for is 12mm x 1.5 with rounded tapered ends.

spdrcr5
03-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Just an FYI...

Honda Wheel Locks are made by McGard. Same exact wheel locks. Only difference? Honda's are in a blue/white package and say Honda on the packaging. The Key says McGard if I remember right. It is in my E so I can't check for you.

Purchase whichever is least expensive.

lars161
03-02-2005, 09:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^spdrcr5 is correct.

drphun
03-03-2005, 12:04 PM
If you look at the shape of the lug nut where they contact the wheel, most wheels have a cone shaped nut (flat slope). Lugs on Honda wheels have a spherical shape (rounded slope). You have to find lugs or locks that have the spherical shape, which are more difficult to find.

cjmclean
03-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I've been meaning to get some of those. I don't want anybody with a jack and lug wrench to be able to steal my wheels.

lwclancers
03-03-2005, 02:17 PM
I've been meaning to get some of those. I don't want anybody with a jack and lug wrench to be able to steal my wheels.

Please tell me you have aftermarket/upgraded wheels? I mean I would actually be glad if someone stole the POS wheels on the standard EX. Hoping to get me some Bridgestone Dueler Revos soon :)

PVR
03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Please tell me you have aftermarket/upgraded wheels? I mean I would actually be glad if someone stole the POS wheels on the standard EX. ...

What's wrong with the EX alloys? Appearance will always be a presonal preference but do you have any other complaints about the wheels?

[edit] to answer your question jjbagoose, I am using McGuards as well (the size recommended in the catalogue). They work fine on my winter steelies but are flanged so they should fit the alloys well.