Honda Element Owners Club banner

Aftermarket fog lights

117K views 378 replies 174 participants last post by  Civicjai80 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of any after-market fog lights that will fit into the Element's existing fog light holes (housings) - make sense?... If you do, let me know.
:twisted:
-pdub

#325 ·
I knew riding the short bus as a kid would come back to haunt me ;-) If I had just read your entire post the dimensions were right there.

I'm off to eBay to find me some 2x5 angle stock...

#326 ·
Ebay fog lights... has anyone bought them?

I'm thinking of buying fog lights, but OEM are WAY too expensive!! I've been looking at the E-bay knock offs, and they seem decent...All the brackets, wiring, and switch look about the same. Has anyone put them on? Had any problems? Let me know....Thanks

#327 ·
I tried to install the Winjet knockoffs a few weeks ago...don't do it!! The wiring harness may look the same, but it's definitely not. None of those knockoff fog light kits work right. All of the plugs are different etc. It seems like they're designed to go through the firewall, whereas the OEM ones are just basically plug and play. So, my advice is to save up for the OEM ones, that's what I'm doing.

Hope this helps some.

#330 ·
For about $80 you can get a pair of Blinglights. They may take a little more time to install (and research on the forums) but worth it 100%. I just installed mine last week and I am 100% happy.

#332 · (Edited)
Im making Brackets...

Hello all..Im doing this install in a few weeks and have been waiting for some of the angle stock to go on EBAY from 80/20 but none has made it on there yet...sooo....I cant wait any longer so I had to order a few feet of the stock to make mine. Im willing to cut up the rest of the stock and sell them if anyone is interetsted....they will be 5x2x1.5

Let me know if there is any interest......

#333 ·
I'm Back!!

I had opted for a set of Blinglight fogs this summer instead but now I'm reconsidering. The BL's are great for the money but they are driving lights built for the fog openings, so the light pattern is not really what I want. I'm now considering getting a pair of these to put in the factory openings and keep my old ones for some other use.

I saw the pictures but how is the beam pattern on these? How well do they light up the side of the road? Have you had them in thick fog?

I have a lot of questions :)

#341 · (Edited)
Dark,

Did you get the Winjet fog lights and install them yourself? Link to the fogs themselves HERE.

Questions for anybody who has installed them...

1. Do i just use the H and A OEM instructions?
2. I have seen one poster that had problems with connectors... Do i need to buy adapters or something?
3. Is the switch that comes with the kit like the OEM switch or is it some half arsed cheapo switch?
4. Are there any additional tricks or tips or things i should know before trying to instal these bad boys?
5. Much like #4... IS THERE ANYTHING AT ALL that i should know before attempting this instal?
6. What non-alcoholic beverage do you reccomend for the instal?

#342 · (Edited)
DONT PAY 130... got mine for 70.00

Yes I installed the fogs myself...

Questions for anybody who has installed them...

1. Do i just use the H and A OEM instructions? (if you arent sure how to do it... watch my video on the install. search risingsun350 youtube)
2. I have seen one poster that had problems with connectors... Do i need to buy adapters or something? No kit comes with everything you need
3. Is the switch that comes with the kit like the OEM switch or is it some half arsed cheapo switch? the switch is OEM made by HONDA4. Are there any additional tricks or tips or things i should know before trying to instal these bad boys? (again watch the video any additional info you need pm me)
5. Much like #4... IS THERE ANYTHING AT ALL that i should know before
attempting this instal?
6. What non-alcoholic beverage do you reccomend for the install hahaha thats completely up to you

How to install new grill and fog lights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QwSDw0U7cc

#343 ·
Sweetness, thanks dark... cant unbuy them now... already paid for em =( thats probly what i get for not looking around longer though.

#344 · (Edited)
dark... are you sure you had the WINJET fogs? My stuff doesnt match up with the oem instructions AT ALL! its all wonkey! they may have simply shipped the wrong wiring harness. i am contacting the company i ordered through to fix the issue. I will provide further details on the situation.

Would be nice if they came with instructions.

EDIT: I have them installed... not exactly 100% satisfied with the results due to how the fog lights function... i will have a full writeup later.

Further edit... almost dissatisfied enough to take it all out and return it... almost, but not today.

Basically, the only OEM instructions i followed were the ones that show you how to cut and mount the fog lights on the bumper. When i got to the inside, all you have to do is ground the black wire (black wires are almost always ground so it was a safe bet) Set the switch, Run the positive wire (the one with the black sheath around it and the actual wire is blue with grey stripe) through one of the rubber grommets to the outside up over the fender and back to the fog light wiring harness. I followed the oem fog light harness routing instructions. Do NOT cut any existing wiring on the E. This is basically a standalone system.

back to the inside. Plug the single pin wire into the fusebox (sorry, this is only the SECOND thing you do following the oem instructions) mount the relay switch (which i am not sure what purpose it serves, more on this later) plug the 5 pin plug into the switch, replace all plastic parts you have done, mount the bumper while plugging the lights into the fog light assembly. and boom, you're ready to go.

What i dont like about this system are as follows:
1. Does not use OEM wiring harness.
2. lights can function no matter if your low beams are on or off, your car is on or off, or even if your high beams are on. (this is why i am not sure what the relay switch really does)
3. the switch that comes with it is a little wonkey. sometimes it works fine, but sometimes it wont stay on, or turn off properly (engage/disengage properly). To fix this while it wont engage (stays disengaged) i have to push it slightly to the side to get something in the switch to reset.

Other than those three major flaws, they work. They just dont enjoy the full functionality of the OEM fog lights. if i had to do it over again, i would purchase the OEM fog lights period end of statement. The only reason i am not taking them out and returning them is that i am lazy and i dont feel like pulling the bumper back off and taking it all out... putting the bumper and everything back... waiting a week and a half until the OEMs come in and doing it all over again (minus modifying the bumper of course). That said... they look great, and with a little bit of manipulation they are (somewhat, obviously not fully) functional.

if anybody has a workaround that wouldnt involve cutting more than 1 wire to make them at least switched (turn off when the car is off) let me know. I dont really want to fabricate a full up oem style wiring harness.

Again... spend the extra money on the OEM fog lights.

again more images available if you click my car link in my sig.

#345 ·
Writeup above, more to follow should i be further aggravated.

#346 ·
as to the relay switch...
it's intended to provide a high current path to the lights, so that you don't have to run high current thru your switch. (relays are designed for high current, typically 20, 30, 40 Amps in automotive applications.)
the trigger side of the relay should be energized by the switch.
if you want your fogs to go off when the key is switched off, or when the lights are off, you can use a key-switched source of power for the switch, rather than battery, or use the parking or headlight wire as a source of power for the switch.

#348 ·
didnt get mine on ebay... got em through a site... gonna keep in contact with em... they want pictures, but i really dont feel like pulling the bumper again.

#352 · (Edited)
My installation is holding up perfectly. No warping, bending or loosening. I used high-quality bolts and nylon locking nuts. I have not had to adjust anything since aiming and tightening everything down (a few days after I created this thread).

The lights do bounce very slightly when driving but it's something I can live with since I only have them on when it's really foggy and/or rainy.

I think heavier lights will make more bounce. The brackets themselves are rock solid, it's the bar that they're attached to that flexes a bit when driving.

If I were adding more than the Hella 500's I would look for a way to "beef-up" the mounting point. Maybe adding a flat piece of aluminum behind the bar, bent and bolted to the two protruding bumper points.

#365 ·
So four months later...Do you still have these around for sale?

#353 ·
Fog Lights for about $26

I bought some 3.5'" 55 watt halogen white lights from Wal-Mart for $18, and I needed some specific mounting hardware from the Home Depot. I haven't wired them yet, but I have mounted them. I'll take a picture of the mounting tonight when I take off the bumper to wire it again.

Pictures:

Plus they came with a pretty cool illuminated rocker switch, so I'm mounting that tonight to complete the install. Then, HID's!
-TD

#354 ·
Plus they came with a pretty cool illuminated rocker switch, so I'm mounting that tonight to complete the install. Then, HID's!
-TD
HID's? Don't forget to take a look at the widely popular and arguably best HID kit available from VVME. I still smile every time I turn mine on and I laugh every time I see someone with inferior HID's. Alright, I don't laugh, I shield my eyes because those cheapies blind the crap out of oncoming traffic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.