Honda Element Owners Club banner

*****Mistergou's Air Ride install******

8K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Mistergou 
#1 ·
Well it finally got finished up this week! took a little longer than expected since first shop was unable to finish it up do to not having the resources to fab more parts for me and just plain lazy....

sorry for small thumbnails but webshots is acting up and wont let me post bigger ones but you can click on pic to make it bigger

all my parts that came in! felt like christmas :grin:

dropped off at the first shop...

test fit

this is actually a element siting on just the factory struts no springs.... I found this out later when I thought the shop was working on mine but actually just gave up... anyways moving on

loaded up my box and headed to shop number 2 which turnout out great because they did a good job over at Big Steve's House of Drop in Dayton, TN

disassembled again lol

rear install

working on front

hidden gauge spot, works out great because can still close the door and can not be seen and map lights light them up at night!

dual vair compressors mounted underneath to reduce noise and such

fronts in

install finished but the rear needed some tweaking to come down some more

chop chop 8)

after cutting rear it sit just how I want it, which is basically on the ground lol

all the way air out

It rides great drove it home last night and was really surprised, but being my first ride on air I am happy.

Its a universal air strut setup on modified factory struts
dual 480 vair compressors
5 gallon tank
avs switchbox with control over each front corner but just single in rear
manual gauges

a good system to go with if you want to get low

heading to the paint shop this weekend so stay tuned for more pics!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the write up on it. What did the total bill end up coming to for the system and fab work and complete install

#5 ·
Wow!!

It is LOW!! Looks real good:) How many psi are you running in your tank? I need dual 480 or at least 444...I have 400 and they are too small.

#7 ·
It is LOW!! Looks real good:) How many psi are you running in your tank? I need dual 480 or at least 444...I have 400 and they are too small.
thanks man! yeah wanted as low as they could get me and thats about it without major mods. the tank is on a pressure switch kicks on at 160psi and go to 200psi. Def need to get dual 480 I can fill my tank in like 30-40 seconds

im not very knowledgeable of air suspension.

they welded gas struts and shocks???? or are they just empty place holders and the air bag does everything?
the air bag does mainly all the work, but rides great! can hardly tell its a lowered ride unless its aired way low. the factory struts can be modified if you want to go low

#6 ·
im not very knowledgeable of air suspension.

they welded gas struts and shocks???? or are they just empty place holders and the air bag does everything?

#9 ·
well stock wheels for my model was measured in at 27.9 inch diameter

currently on 18x7.5 tsx wheels with 225/40/18 and have 25.1 inch diameter

getting new tires for my 19x8 and going with 235/35/19 and will be 25.5 inch diameter

so tire size is important if you want a extra inch or 2

#17 ·
well its flush if the car is up, but all the way down it pulls in, still need to tweak my rear camber some more and maybe a spacer in the rear still messing with it

Leaks are a p.i.t.a!

I like the new look! Did you stay with the factory silver or did you do something a little different? What is your wheel/tire setup?(i.e. sizes)
thanks! yes its the factory silver, I did not want to paint engine bay or jams, plus I liked the silver it just had a few door dings and such and always wanted a 2 tone box after seeing the gold advan element

5zigen ZR+ 19x8 with 235/35/19

#22 ·
well the lower my box is to the ground the less contact patch the rear tire has to the ground. So this will make the inside wear faster than the outside. But rotating and flipping the tires around on the rim will prolong the lifespan of the tires. if you set the daily driven ride height and stick to that the tires will last longer from wear, than if you were hitting the switches alot and raising and lowering while driving. But I dont have enough experience for sure on how fast or slow the wear would but, just with my experience of lowered vehicles the tires will wear faster. Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the link on this Mistergou! (Found you from Honda-Tech).

Great feedback on the ride quality!! You really convinced me to hold out for air now as I was thinking of going Teins due to it being a ton cheaper (even if not as low and comfy). Now though with your testimony and advice, I will hold out for sure as this is exactly what I was hoping to hear - great ride quality, especially for daily driving.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Ps. Glad you pointed me to this thread as I felt a little weird hi-jacking the other one with my questions. :)
its all good man! glad I could help

Can wait to see yours on air once it gets done

#21 ·
Thank for the insight and feedback!

Hey thanks for the link on this Mistergou! (Found you from Honda-Tech).

Mistergou (from Honda-Tech) said:
that setup seems pretty good, and a good price! I had not seen that one before, I would recommend that you get 2 compressors that way you dont have to wait forever to fill up the tank

and air ride is hands down the most comfortable, its the only car I have had that my wife doesn't gripe at for the ride comfort. its really nice I use my box as my daily driver with no problem and you could make it firmer if you wanted
Great feedback on the ride quality!! You really convinced me to hold out for air now as I was thinking of going Teins due to it being a ton cheaper (even if not as low and comfy). Now though with your testimony and advice, I will hold out for sure as this is exactly what I was hoping to hear - great ride quality, especially for daily driving.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Ps. Glad you pointed me to this thread as I felt a little weird hi-jacking the other one with my questions. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.