Honda Element Owners Club banner

Honda Element duplicate key

9K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  lizzurd 
#1 ·
i just bought used Honda Element 2005. it came with just one key. anybody has any idea of how can i get duplicate key? should i mention that i am looking for inexpensive (that is, cheap!) solution? :evil: thanks, gleb

#3 ·
If you really just got it, go back to the dealer and stomp your feet a bit and be like what's the deal, I've never bought a car and only got 1 key. Sometimes they will cough up the money and pay for you to go to the dealer and get a key made. I did that with my RSX that I bought from Saturn.

#5 ·
First complain to the seller.

THEN

Call around to hardware stores and locksmiths. SOME of them are getting into the electronic keys, cost half the dealer charges.

#11 ·
My 03 only came with one key too.....dealer said it was about 40 sum dollars to get a new one.

You can also check on ebay, might have an uncut key there.

Or course if you had keyless you wouldn't need it as much.

#12 ·
dancetiludrop said:
My 03 only came with one key too.....dealer said it was about 40 sum dollars to get a new one.

You can also check on ebay, might have an uncut key there.

Or course if you had keyless you wouldn't need it as much.
You can get one off of Ebay but then you will have to get it cut and programmed. If I am not mistaken all keys would have to be re-programmed to the same. This also posses a problem if you have a remote starter. That would have to be re-programmed as well.

Ken

#13 ·
If there is an "F" stamped on your key then it will cost $30-$40 because it's cloneable. If is has another letter then it must be reprogrammed and hence the steep charges you've read. My 03 EX I just bought has missing keys and that is what the parts person at my dealer told me.

#15 · (Edited)
For those who don't know what the valet key is for, it's the grey key that you would give to a valet to park your car at a swanky restaurant or party.

The grey keys that you get with Hondas will only open the doors and start the car. They will not open the locked glove box or the trunk. On cars that have the trunk "popper", you'll have to lock that with the black key before handing off your car. In our case, you'd have to lock the hatch. The grey key is also useful for when you get your car serviced or washed, because they can't rifle through your stuff when you're not looking.

#17 ·
DLIVRY7 said:
35 bucks plus tax at my local honda dealer today for an extra key.
Thats cheap! My dealer wants around $70:sad:

#19 ·
immrbiggs said:
The only guy I could find to do my 2004 EX said it would be $150. And he said the dealer is $300.

Am I gonna get ripped off or is there another way? I'd much rather pay $40 or even $90.

Did you call the dealer to check or did you just take his word? If he's just looking for your cash he can say what ever he wants about the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.