Honda Element Owners Club banner

Overhead map light replacement???

36K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  ramblerdan 
#1 ·
I did a search but maybe I am using the wrong terms so I appologize if I missed an existing post.

One of my overhead map lights (in the EX overhead storage bin) is burned out. The manual says they are "12v - 4 CP." OK, maybe its me but I haven't really heard of these. Can you get them from your local track auto or what not?

Also, there were no instructions on how to replace the map lights. Does anyone know how to get in there and replace them (nervous about just tuggin on the plastic bezel around the lights)? Pics of course would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for anyone who knows! Heck maybe I will get brave and replace them with a different color :) if they exist of course.

#2 ·
I think they are 3175 size bulbs. I bought some white light bulbs at wal mart I think they are called xenon white or something. I think they were $4.44. They are much nicer IMO than the stock bulbs. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
To get at the bulbs you just need to pry off the push on/off light covers with a thin screwdriver, butterknife, yellowed Frito lookin' toenail whatever works. Once off you'll also see one of the 2 bolts holding the overhead bin in place. I went thru this process when installing my center speaker up there. Just incase you had any mods for the bin in the future.

#5 ·
ramblerdan,

Have you ever replaced those lights? I think there is a misconception among light manufacturers about what size goes in the map lights. I believe that it is 3175, I also double checked the package on the bulbs I used in there.

Of course, who knows. Maybe the package was mismarked. Stupid wal mart... :grin:

#7 ·
JMM you are right. I too went looking for 3022 at Advanced Auto with my burnt out bulb in hand...low and beyond 3022 to skinny, 3175 just right.

Whats funny is there is no way 3175 fits the dome lights...pulled them out, much longer than the map lights, although appear to be the same thickness.

#9 ·
Yea I measured the dome light was sort of halfway between 39mm and 44mm, and well it seemed closer to 39mm, so I ordered those. In all honesty, they will probably fit fine cause the dome contacts were pretty wide and seemed to have some wiggle room on size.

In any fact, bulbs dont cost much so not too much of a biggie it they dont fit.

#11 ·
j_m_m said:
Have you ever replaced those lights? I think there is a misconception among light manufacturers about what size goes in the map lights. I believe that it is 3175, I also double checked the package on the bulbs I used in there.
No empirical evidence, just manufacturers' info.

lwclancers said:
JMM you are right. I too went looking for 3022 at Advanced Auto with my burnt out bulb in hand...low and beyond 3022 to skinny, 3175 just right.
Whats funny is there is no way 3175 fits the dome lights...pulled them out, much longer than the map lights, although appear to be the same thickness.
Very interesting indeed. I put footnotes on those numbers for now.

#12 · (Edited)
Finally, an update.

Map light: The OEM bulb is 8W. The DE3715 is rated at 10W and fits. References specify DE3022 (5W), but it is physically too small.

Dome/cargo area light: The socket housing calls for and the OEM bulb is marked 578. References specify DE3175 (10W), but it is physically too small. However, the DE3175 does fit the map light.

Don't know whether the Wagner numbers on my chart are correct.

#13 ·
kevs said:
Okay, just to confirm...the 3175 in 39mm will fit in both the Dome/Trunk Light as well as the Map Light?

I was a bit confused after I read this thread and went out to check the bulbs myself.

The Dome/Trunk Lights are noticeably longer than the map lights, but is it confirmed that the 3175 39mm bulb fits all 4 places?

I'm getting ready to buy some bulbs and want to be sure before order. Thanks!
Why not just pull out a map bulb and a dome bulb and compare them? then snap some pics and post them for a definitive answer for everyone?

#14 ·
kevs said:
Alright, I just went outside and compared, but I don't have my camera on me.

The Dome/Trunk Lights are way too big for the map lights.

The Map Lights are way too small for the dome lights.

What to do now?
The silver part of the bulbs should have numbers/markings on them. Are you able to read that? Not being a wisea$$, I can't always read those things.

#18 · (Edited)
Hello... Just do what L saidas long as the bulbs are the same length wise: If they too big, just bend the little prongs. If too small bend them in.
The prongs are metal, not glass! They bend, they won't break! Use your thumb and index fingers, apply pressure until you feel the prongs bending, pop the bulbs back in and check if they are snug. If not, take the bulbs back out and bend some more until snug. Worked on mine for two years now with no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.