Honda Element Owners Club banner

Pictures of my new Element: what model do I have?

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  PhillyMatt 
#1 ·
We purchased this 2003 Honda Element last week. It is having more problems then we wanted.. but you can see from the pics below that the outside is in really good condition. It also made a 900 mile drive from Chicago to Salisbury MD without stopping with no issues, which is at least promising.

(the issues we are having is one: the mechanics in the windows did not work. seller did not tell us this. That cost $500 to fix for both doors. The front windshield has a crack, seller did not tell us this. The check engine light is on and the code read something about the knock sensor, the mechanic told us it would not affect our drive home. something is wrong with the idle, when in netural the truck is constantly revving. seller told us none of this)

My question is, what model is this? When I signed up for this forum it asked me what model i had and there were so many options.. the manual doesn't describe these.

I've taken several pictures, what model Element do I have?

See less See more
#4 ·
Definitely a EX model. If you have the rear sunroof you have a 4wd, if you do not have the rear sunroof it a 2wd.

Also check this form as the 2003 were notorious for cracked windshields. There is lots of help here also with your other issues.

#7 ·
The issues we are having is one: the mechanics in the windows did not work. seller did not tell us this. That cost $500 to fix for both doors. The front windshield has a crack, seller did not tell us this. The check engine light is on and the code read something about the knock sensor, the mechanic told us it would not affect our drive home. something is wrong with the idle, when in netural the truck is constantly revving. seller told us none of this)
For the revving in neutral, check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

The knock sensor shouldn't be too expensive if it is just the sensor that's causing the problem. If there's an actual knock being detected by the sensor, that could be a few things all of which make sense given the age. Valve adjustment, timing chain tensioner, heck the TPS could be throwing off the fuel/emissions and causing a knock.

The window repair sounds like a fair price. Unfortunate that you had to pay it but you didn't get ripped off.

Welcome to the family and once you get her all fixed up, you'll be glad you've got her. They run like clockwork as long as you perform all the basic maintenance, it sounds like maybe the previous owner just neglected her a bit.

#13 ·
PhillyMatt, how many miles are on this E? Even at $2500 with a few "minor" problems I think your ahead of the game. Enjoy a very versitile vehicle. My repair shops courtesy vehicle is the same year and color and has 370000 miles on it, and it still run good. Happy Trails. :)

#14 ·
#17 ·
How many miles on it? $2500 is a Steal as these are going to get harder and harder to find. Get what you need fixed up on it, and hold on to it tightly. Gonna be a rare bird in the very near future. Again I am very interested to know how many miles you have on it as I just Paid $5800 for the same truck with 175k on it (high end of bluebook).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.