Honda Element Owners Club banner

Should I install a new intake manifold gasket when I reinstall the intake manifold?

12K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Wrenchmeister 
#1 ·
I am changing out the starter on a 2003 honda element. The starter is under the intake manifold so I have to remove the intake manifold.

Should I install a new intake manifold gasket when I reinstall the intake manifold or can I reuse the old intake manifold gasket?

I would appreciate advice from a technician.

#2 ·
You might be able to remove the starter from underneath the car, thereby not removing the intake manifold. It will be a tight fit, but it looks possible. If you do remove the lower (outer) intake manifold, yes, definitely get a new gasket. You can get a FelPro intake manifold gasket kit for $15 from Autozone. It has the gasket you will need, plus the gasket for where the manifold connects to the head. Autozone (at least mine) only carried the kit with both, but for 15 I didn't care.

Check this thread, there is a discussion on the various ways to do it. On the second page, I put up a video of the clearance around the starter. In my video, I removed the manifold and went in through the top. Might help you decide if you want to try it from the bottom.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54174&highlight=

#3 ·
I am not a technician, but I was advised by a Honda dealership technician that the intake manifold gasket was simply a centering guide, and did not need to be replaced. Is that close enough to staying at a holiday inn?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.