Honda Element Owners Club banner

North to Freedom for a Small Saint?

6K views 71 replies 15 participants last post by  bh241 
#1 ·
Looking for some help in getting Dexter, a six month old Saint Bernard, transported from North Carolina to New Hampshire. He was just pulled from a kill shelter down here and is presently receiving vet care for the embedded collar. He should have all his vet work and medical paperwork in order sometime next week.

Looking to move him to Rescue asap - maybe the weekend of the 24th?

Would love to get another EOC Rescue transport going like we did for Captain. Any Interest?

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Dexter
(he'll be a lot cleaner than this)

See less See more
#4 ·
Right now things are very fluid, I'm looking for folks willing to help transport - date / time / locations.

We pulled the boy out of a kill shelter yesterday afternoon - he was 'out of time' and something had to be done. :-( He is presently at a vet in western NC receiving treatment for his neck along with being updated on his shots / general stuff.

We're looking at maybe doing this as early as middle of next week or the weekend - but it all depends on what the docs say. We have to get his clearance from the vets to travel (aka health certificate).

He's not in danger anymore, but we don't want to keep him kenneled at the vets office any longer than necessary. He's just a young boy and has already been through enough.

I hope to have some specific details (weight etc.) soon, maybe even a new picture - the only one I have is from the shelter, and it's rough on the eyes.

If you're willing to help post or send me a PM or email, we're probably looking at an overnight too if anyone can do that...

#5 ·
Just tell me When and what you need me to do Benny.

Dom

#6 ·
First attempt at a route: 960-ish miles about 16 Hours total

Map Ecoregion Atlas World Urban design

Of course, I'm taking the first leg, heading north to ?

anyone?

Final Destination is Brentwood, NH - I know the receiving rescue is planning to do part of the transport too, but I don't know right this very minute how far south they can go. Regardless, I'm sure there's room to squeeze everyone in this if they really want to help.

So who's game for "Dexter's Wild Ride" ?

#8 · (Edited)
from the receiving rescue:
If you can get him to Salem, NH I can meet the transporter there and then drive him to Brentwood and get him settled in. There is a Barnes and Noble bookstore in Salem, NH near the intersection of Routes 93 and 28. The address is 125 South Broadway. I usually meet transports from northern NH and VT there.

Dexter will be vaccinated against rabies, kennel cough, and distemper. He will be dewormed. The collar that was embedded in his neck has been removed and his wounds are being treated. He will be on antibiotics. As for his weight, don't know for sure but from the picture he doesn't look much more than 85-90#. He is intact and will not be neutered til he gets here.

He supposedly is good with other dogs.

As for the date, the sooner the better.
What do you guys think is it possible to put this together for the 24th - 25th or could we go even sooner?

EDIT: I have officially requested help from the Pilots N Paws organization, hopefully between all of us we can get this boy 'home'

#25 ·
from the receiving rescue:
What do you guys think is it possible to put this together for the 24th - 25th or could we go even sooner?

EDIT: I have officially requested help from the Pilots N Paws organization, hopefully between all of us we can get this boy 'home'
Benny, as it turns out, if it is this weekend of the 24 and 25th, I have painters coming to the house so I need to stay here, BUT I can offer shelter for humans and dog during the trip...before making it to NH or after, so If someones needs a stayover point you're welcome here.

Gail, if you do a leg stop here for rest and food, Dom you can just show up.....

It's on the way from the south...
jurn

#10 ·
Overnight rest

I could probably help out if he gets to..close to Deleware, southern PA, Batlimore, MD Saturday night. Give him an overnight rest at my house in Philly and then early sunday morning I can get him to somewheres in North Jersey to Gaily, Then he goes towards Ct and Mass??!!...

#11 ·
I could probably help out if he gets to..close to Deleware, southern PA, Batlimore, MD Saturday night. Give him an overnight rest at my house in Philly and then early sunday morning I can get him to somewheres in North Jersey to Gaily, Then he goes towards Ct and Mass??!!...
MoonDrop that works for me

Gaily

#12 ·
As far as I know right now, this is still a go for Saturday / Sunday. If you are serious about helping please either pm me or send me an email so I can get a schedule kinna worked out.

I was out most of the weekend visiting Robbie, so I didn't get much time to deal with this today. I'll see if I can nail some details down tomorrow.

#13 · (Edited)
We can pick him up from Gail, in C.T. and get him to N.H. .

Dom and Patty

#14 ·
Is everyone good with this Saturday the 24th? :?

here's what I'm thinking right now:

Either me or Pilots N Paws or a combination of the two of us get Dexter from the vets office in Spindale NC to Petersburg VA where DCBox takes over.

DCBox goes north to meet with MoonDrop

MoonDrop overnights Dexter then catches up with Gaily on Sunday the 25th.

Gaily totes Dexter on up to Dom and Patti who carry the cute ball of fur on up to the rescue volunteer in Salem, NH.

Is that what we're all looking at? If so, let's see if we can nail down a rough time frame to make sure it's going to work. Also, please either pm or email me your contact information.

Also, NESBR (New England Saint Bernard Rescue) is part of the National Saint Bernard Rescue Foundation, they are a registered 501c3 charity and all this is tax deductible to the extent allowed by IRS laws. Be sure to give me a mailing address so we can get a paper receipt / thank you to you guys.

#21 ·
I can only go as far as Baltimore to the south on Saturday night And I figure Gaily and I can Meet somewhere on the NJ Turnpike between Trenton and exit 11 (Garden State Parkway exit) , if that works for her, sunday morning. Happy to help out:)
I'm good to go

#22 ·
Hi BH241. I coordinated with DCBOX and we know where to meet in Maryland and exchanged cell #s. I'll be hearing from Gaily soon for the NJ transfer. Till later, Best MoonDrop
I'm good to go
We can pick him up from Gail, in C.T. and get him to N.H. .

Dom and Patty
and with me and maybe a bit of help from Pilots N Paws or another EOC member in the NC area to get Dexter to DCBox in Petersburg, we're good to go.

Guys, you E-ple just rock! Seriously - :-D

If anyone has anything come up or runs into any problem get with me asap, we don't have a backup on any of this...

#17 ·
I spoke with the rescue director a few minutes ago and it looks like things are falling into place really well for Dexter. He should have his travelin' papers and be ready to roll by the end of the week - sooner maybe. Regardless, it looks like if we get a couple of more things nailed down we're good to go.

I haven't heard anything from Pilots N Paws :-( so right now it looks like I'll pick up Dexter and catch up with Gary in Petersburg myself. It's a long drive but hey, I've done it before. ;-) Maybe this time we won't be dealing with a dang hurricane too. :razz:

I do want you guys to take pictures - lots and lots of pictures.

I think reading the messages if Gaily can squeeze this into her schedule then we're done from Petersburg on, right? Or am I missing something?

#19 ·
No I didn't. I got a call from the rescue asking for help getting 'Dexter' to a safe place... How could I not?

well, not that I wouldn't have regardless of his name really... But, i mean, it's Dexter for crying out loud. ;-)

#28 ·
Benny, what's your timing on Saturday? Your route from Spindale to Petersburg will likely take you right by Durham on I-85. I could meet you there and do the second half, but I'm working til 4PM Sat. Would that be too late?

#29 ·
I hope to be close to home by 4pm, but as far as I know no one has discussed times yet. I guess we're as ready as ever to do that.

DCBox, let me know what time to be there, I assume the Jade Garden again? I am going to pick Dexter up Friday and hide him in the house till Saturday morning to head your way (Don't tell Laraine, OK?). She won't notice 'one more' anyway, right? Right now it's just me from Spindale to you but I would certainly welcome any help.

I don't have a clue when or even where the rest of everyone is meeting up, until the end anyway. ;-)

On the upside, today was a VERY good day. For the first time in 26 days Robbie is awake more than he is 'asleep' and he has moved both arms and both legs! :) He's been more 'alert' today then he has since the accident, I do believe prayers are being answered served with a good dose of patience.

Gary, let me know what time is good to meet up with you and Dexter and I will be there.

I'll gather up everything he will need, bowl, water, food, collar, leash. Everyone will probably want their own 'drool rag' - unless you want a used one. ;-)

#31 ·
On the upside, today was a VERY good day. For the first time in 26 days Robbie is awake more than he is 'asleep' and he has moved both arms and both legs! :) He's been more 'alert' today then he has since the accident, I do believe prayers are being answered served with a good dose of patience.
Thanks for the update! Yap, prayers are being answered and I know Robbie has a lot of people praying for him (even here in Columbus!).

#30 ·
Dom any ideas on where to meet up & what time on Sunday? ;-)

MoonDrop has him for an overnight on Saturday & is flexible on the drop off time.

#33 · (Edited)
I'm going to be coming up I-85. Give me a time to be there and we'll do it. I guess it matters more with when you are meeting Moondrop - you're the one dealing with that horrendous traffic in the DC area, not me.

Tell me when / where and we'll be there. ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.