Honda Element Owners Club banner

04 e hood release knob

28K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  dgale 
#1 · (Edited)
The interior plastic hood release knob snapped off. Anyone know if I can replace just that piece?? ... or is this an entire cable assembly deal? I wouldn't mind that so much, but it looks like I need to pull off the whole driver side fender to pull out the old cable. Not having much luck with google or ebay.

Thanks all!:?

#3 ·
Just tape a string to the old one before you pull it out. Then use the string to pull in the new cable. It's easy.

Dom

Reactions: Skopa
#4 ·
Thank you

Thanks for the answers folks. I actually thought about the string, the one hitch is that the old cable is tightly secured inside the fender by several plastic retaining clips and will not easily pull. I'll get it figured out...
Thanks again!

Moderator - will update profile asap.:)

#5 ·
Hood latch mechanaism

My daughter pulled the hood latch off...and thied to glue it on and it fell off on the floor today....so she is grounded and how much is it to get fixed?????

#6 ·
It happened to me too.

I was driving down the street yesterday and heard something fall to the floor on my left side. I forgot about it until this morning when I was getting into my Element and saw part of the hood release knob laying on the floor matt. It looks like it was defective from the factory. :|

#7 ·
Had this happen a week or so ago. The plastic pull just snapped off.
Ordered online, shipping was more expensive than the part.
Took my '04 in for the recall on the key/ignition and asked how much $ to do the new cable.
$180.00!!!!
They are crazy. There's no way I'm going to pay someone $180 to install a part that costs under $20.
Having said that, I have vise grips in the glove-box if I have to pop the hood. I'll wait for warmer weather before doing this myself.

#8 ·
Fix for broken hood release

This is an easy fix. Don't try to remove the broken plastic from the old cable, just sand the end smooth or file it flat if need be. Mine was a clean break, so I didn't have to touch the cable end. Saw or file off the broken portion on the back of the handle that protrudes, leaving the back flat. Then drill a hole centered where the center of the hole (the steel cable) used to be. Enlarge the hole with a reamer or a rat-tail file until you can fit the handle over the broken off portion of the cable (the tighter the better.) Then using J B Weld (a two-part epoxy resin) glue the handle over the cable end. My repair took all of fifteen minutes and seems as good as new. (let the epoxy cure overnight)

Steve

Attachments

#9 ·
Broken hood release - cheap fix possible?

So I tried to open my hood recently, and rather than pulling out slightly and giving that satisfying 'thunk' - the hood release just came off in my hands :(

I looked up the replacement procedure in the service manual, and it seems to indicate that the cable/release is a single part - can anyone confirm? if this is the case, is there a way to rig it to work otherwise? I'm thinking epoxy or something - but would need to know if i need to glue the handle to the outer cover or try to get it connected to the metal cable directly....

#13 ·
Ok I have the same problem. I got the entire assembly since the lever is not something you can simply replace but rather the ENTIRE assembly. Plus the kick panel is also cracked and in need of replacement. I wonder if mine w broken for m someone using it as foot rest o r got really mad and messed it up.

Regardless, I don't have aservice manual yet. Been having to get things replaced and fixed before even having it for a month.

Can anyone help me out?

#17 ·
I recently had the same problem and decided to change the cable as a whole: if you,when removing from front to interior, fix a line to it, the route is easy to follow except for the plastic fixing pieces on remote places; especially on the left side board under the plastic side cover. I ended up removing this part (not to difficult) but now I am stuck with a side board which does not fit in place completely - rather sloppy, I think, but have not yet found a solution. Just pressing in place is not enough.
Anyway, it is a classy appearance, a new hood pulling knob! and for that price!

#19 ·
Side kickboard removal?

Not sure if 2 posts above meant this piece, but...

Finally getting to my broken hood release handle/knob...whatever it's officially called.

Tried to take the kickboard off but only got the left side off (pic 1) but can't get the bottom off (Pic 2).

After 12 yrs w/the E, decided it was wise to ask before I break another tab. :roll:

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

Attachments

#21 ·
Not sure if 2 posts above meant this piece, but...

Finally getting to my broken hood release handle/knob...whatever it's officially called.

Tried to take the kickboard off but only got the left side off (pic 1) but can't get the bottom off (Pic 2).

After 12 yrs w/the E, decided it was wise to ask before I break another tab. :roll:

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.
bumpity bump

#28 ·
The video by Eric the Car Guy mentions that he had been using a small vice grips as a temporary handle until he could get around to replacing the cable (which cost around 25USD.)

I found it easy to replace just the knob with a square drawer pull (3USD from Lowes) and JB Weld. The cable can be left in place, just detached at the latch to make it easier to work on the knob end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.