Honda Element Owners Club banner

The Return of the Element

57K views 126 replies 72 participants last post by  ADDchild 
#1 ·
I received a message this evening from a very very reliable source, that Honda WILL bring back the Element. This is not a joke or spam. Due to numerous complaints of it being discontinued Honda decided to bring it back. As I find out more details I will pass them on.

#77 ·
If memory serves the E was designed in SoCal buy some active life people not pencil pushing numbers crunchers. Honda just failed miserably with marketing it. I still run into people that have no idea what the E is and are taken back by its interior size and room. Honda like all other car companies are working backwards, not forwards. Dont try and reinvent the wheel, just offer a wheel people want and can utilize.

#78 ·
Element Again?!?

Any way you can hint on how the person who gave you this info would be in the know? My 2005 is nearing 175,000 and I dread replacement time with no real option. I was kind of surprised that the E was dropped when those on the road were approaching the age when they might have been traded in for a revamped model.

I do not care what the exterior looks like as much as I go for the versatility. I have a suit and tie day job but whenever I can I am hauling either compost and other landscaping stuff or lumber for various projects, or using the E on hiking trips as a mobile sanctuary when slack packing the Appalachian Trail. I am just under 6' tall and can sleep well in the Element. so be right my Lorde!

I wonder why HOnda does not offer a model of the CRV with some of the versatility of the Element? The demise of the E leaves, as far as I know,only the Toyota van with all wheel drive to handle the tasks.

Thanks,
Kevin
Buffalo, NY

#79 ·

Attachments

#80 · (Edited)
In the last episode of the Gadget Show (UK TV) the two hosts drove around for most of the episode in one of these. Seeing it in action, I can't imagine that it's even street legal in the US, let alone big enough for the "lay down" seats to be usable as a bed unless you're four feet tall.

The N (what's that stand for - nugget?) is a tiny vehicle for crowded places, not an Element in ANY regard. The idea of a Fit crossover being offered to replace it is proof that Honda STILL doesn't understand why the Element was such a success in spite of everything they did to keep from selling any. I'm guessing that most CR-V buyers never knew the E existed.

#81 ·
As they say, The ship has sailed. No new E and I doubt that Honda even cares. You have a terrific vehicle. Maintain it, if you want more power, put a small boost turbo on it. Spend some bucks for a 6sp conversion or rebuild the AT, if needed. I haven't run any numbers but I'm betting a major build - motor,trans,clutch would be around 6/7K at a decent shop and give you another 100+ miles. Enjoy.

#89 ·
Could this be the Rebirth on the Element?

http://automobiles.honda.com/allnewconcept/
I don't see ANY Element in that design - neither function nor looks. It makes me think of a kludged CR-V from whichever idiot approved the Crosstour. Like I said so many times before, Honda no longer has the talent to build something even approaching the Element.

#87 ·
Pushing 200k

My classic E is going to hit 200,000 miles this summer. No major issues at all but I am fearing having to get something new if I do have a major failure. I am most likely not going to go for an SUV unless the new E is actually going to be produced. Nothing will ever come close to the E. I am hoping to get 200,000 more miles. If the advertising was there for us I am sure the E wouldn't be dead. A friend got in mine and was amazed, she searched and searched and ended up buying a 2011 about 300 miles away. No one knew how versatile the E was/is. Hell, Honda could even steal our DIY ideas and manufacture their own OEM sleep platforms, slot covers, screens, and camper conversions, etc. Now blue in the face... I am done rambling.

#90 ·
Having read almost all of the posts in this thread, I'd like to add that I am on my second E. I had an '05 4WD EX and now have a '10 4WD EX w/Navi. I wanted all the bells and whistles I could get on it without carpet. I wanted flexible luxury. I even added headrest DVD players for my two sons. I love my E and continue to improve and maintain it.

My wish list for a new improved E:

1) A hybrid option
2) Keep the Navi and add Bluetooth hands free and streaming support
3) Increase overall length by about 6"-8"
4) Replace the suicide door with a slider w/o putting in a beam leaving the two door opening the same size or perhaps larger
5) Rear hatch release from up front (no powered lift necessary)
6) Bring back the sunroof (second row to rear)
7) Add clothes hooks on assist bars (flip down preferred)
8) Relocate spare tire to under E or external swing/flip mount
9) Put in under floor storage where previous spare was located
10) Make tailgate swing/drop combo
11) Keep overheard bins as in '10 EX model
12) Put bungee storage on all four seat backs
13) Add flip down bag/cargo hooks in second row seat backs
14) Add adjustable height to in seat seatbelt (tired of my '10 choking me to death)
15) Keep center console with removable lunchbox storage but add electrical/iPod support
16) Add ruggedized wheel well trim
17) Make more adjustable front seats (power option?)
18) Tilt windshield a little more for better visibility at traffic lights

I think that hits most of my wants. Big dreams...

#92 ·
I hope they come back with a hybrid version, or one that gets better MPG. The Ford Transit Connect is the only similar vehicle I could find in the same price range, but it doesn't come with AWD...not yet anyway. The Connect gets 29mpg but I imagine an AWD version would not. The Ford Transit Commercial Van coming out in late 2014 has different wheelbases, roof heights, and available AWD. This would suit my needs, but probably be in the $30Ks. Come on Honda, don't make me buy a Ford !

#95 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Compact van

Even says "Element" on the plate..

From the 2014 Tokyo auto show.

#96 ·
Interior.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover

#97 · (Edited)
It's a car-toon? I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I think I'll laugh - I'm done crying over Honda. If that thing is real, then it's graphic "slap your face" proof that Honda still doesn't have a clue what males the Element so popular.

This really is a joke, right?

#98 ·
Those things cruise around in Japan all over the place. They're not Elements. I was looking for Elements the whole 2 weeks I was over there and literally only saw ONE the whole time. They've died out over there.

Anyway, that ugly thing pictured may be something that's the next model year of the ones they already have over there. The Japanese love their little box cars. There are sooo many different models over there made by every manufacturer under the sun. Those and Priuses. God they love those damn Priuses (pri'ii?).

I highly doubt those tiny box cars will be coming over here. Don't get your panties in a bunch people.

#100 ·
Here is a link to some more photos..

Element

Looks like it will only be sold in japan.

#101 ·
Here is a link to some more photos..
Looks like it will only be sold in japan.
That's fine with me. I live too far north of the line where they used to run people out of town covered in tar-n-feathers but this is a major college town and the kids sure know how to throw rocks & bottles. I can't imagine any dealer in the US stupid enough to try selling something like that.

For that matter, would they even be legal in the US? I'd support a law to make sure they aren't.

#102 ·
Oh no, STILL seats only four?!

#104 ·
I would keep mine forever if I could drop a diesel into it. My driving has changed recently to all around town, and my mpg over 5 tanks has dropped to 16.5. It is bugging me some, but the only way i can replace the E is with two vehicles, like a Nissan Leaf and an old pickup truck. The extra insurance would probably offset any fuel savings. ugh.

#105 ·
The first pic reminds me of the Ford Festiva, only taller. They need to rethink who they invite into their marketing focus groups. my gosh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.