Honda Element Owners Club banner

Noise at speed

17K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Legioss 
#1 ·
Seemingly fast, I've started getting a front end rhythmic bump, that gets louder as I drive faster (hwy speeds). It ALMOST sounds like I have a giant wad of gum on each front tire in the same location. It's NOT the warped rotor issue (had that before). Dealer inspection says I need new front wheel bearings. I'm at 131k, and they quoted me $870 for both front.

Aside from that sounding like way too much money, I'd like to get some opinions if really bearings:

-would BOTH sides go bad at the same time? It doesn't seem like one OR the other.
-would it be sudden? Seemed to appear within days, not over extended time.
-is the repair JUST the bearings, or other parts?
-ways to confirm diagnosis?
-other diagnosis?

Thanks

#3 ·
Rather, to me, it doesn't sound like a LEFT only or RIGHT only.

Per dealer, both sides. Which is why I want to know how to confirm myself if possible.

#4 ·
I would always replace both sets of wheel bearings at the same time, even if only one was showing signs of wear...I just think they are the sort of thing that should be replaced together. The Dealer may be thinking the same thing and just telling you to do both.

#6 · (Edited)
How to check the front bearing clearance:
Raise the car up .... Firmly tug at the front wheels (the upper part of the wheel - to each other and from each other) - if you feel no play, everything is OK. If you feel loose, a second person pushes on the brake pedal, and we tug at the wheel - if the play had disappeared, it was a slack in the bearing. The front bearings are always loose, if they are worn. If one bearing is damaged, it refers to a placenta, the other can still do many kilometers.

Spin the wheel like a movie too........ Of course, without disassembling. :-D

#7 ·
On my '01 Civic, I just had one wheel bearing replaced and it cost about $275 at a dealer. We called around and got a pretty wide range of prices, even some smaller shops and this one dealer ended up being the cheapest.

You should be able to find a better price if you do end up getting them replaced.

Oddly though, I had the left wheel bearing replaced on that car at about 130k, then the right wheel bearing was replaced recently at about 198k. They never suggested that they be replaced in pairs.

#8 ·
Update: A fellow EOC'er who is a Honda mechanic AND drives an Element confirmed it IS my wheel bearing, and I need to change them ASAP. I'll repost after the fix on what this did/didn't resolve.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

#9 ·
Ok, so...

I replaced the wheel bearings on both sides and got a surprise. It also fixed the "loud engine" noise I had been describing in this thread:

Identify That Noise #2!

So after that last big service where I fixed the knocking noises, the squeaking strut (other thread), and did a major service + sparkplugs... My engine is now TOO LOUD. I've been poking around and I haven't been able to come up with an obvious answer.

It literally started as soon as the other items were fixed and service was done. I kept thinking I was crazy and it probably just sounds different because I'm not hearing the fixed knocking noise anymore, or maybe it always sounded that loud and I never noticed since I always have the radio up. But every time I have an Element owner passenger, they point it out =(

It sounds like a small prop plane is flying nearby, high overhead. Or maybe like a dirtbike is tailing me, one lane over.

I hear it whenever the engine is running, even when I take my foot OFF the accelerator.

Ugh. The dealer mechs swear I don't know what I am talking about and my engine always sounds like a small airplane overhead.

Worse, the bumping/knocking noise of broken engine mounts suddenly came back. From what _I_ can tell, and what mechanic inspection says, engine mounts are NOT re-broken. Small bumps at slow speed make it sound like the car is seconds from falling apart in the front left corner. I have taken it in TWICE and they swear they don't hear it, and blamed the noises one 1) a few missing clips in the bumper 2) loose relays from mods. Clearly, neither of those make the loose HEAVY METAL noises I am hearing, but I humored them, replaced clips, resecured relays, etc., and still getting noises. Going to another mechanic soon to take another look. How can you NOT hear that horrible noise?
So... when wheel bearings start to go bad (for me), it makes the noises described above. When they go terminal, it made the new rhythmic thumping noise. You barely start hearing it at 45mph, know you hear it at 55mph, and get a confirmation vibration at 55mph. As they run toward death, those all occur at slower and slower speeds.

Below, pic of left (not dead yet), and right (totally dead) wheel bearings. The right one fell apart when removed. All the lubrication was filled with tiny bits of metal, had dried and cracked, and looked like burnt plastic. Wish I could have gotten a pic before it fell apart.

Things to note:

-plan on doing BOTH sides at the same time. it makes sense, plus the suspect bearing was actually the OPPOSITE of the damaged one for me, so I would have had to do both anyway.
-if you have strut issues, or any other reason to replace them, now would be an excellent time.
-replace all small 'single-use' parts per Honda instructions, nuts, pins, etc.
-i killed my lower ball joints during removal, so I'm assuming you will be replacing both of those as well, or the entire knuckle (Honda joint not sold separate) ((see this thread))

--I also did both tie rod ends and stabilizer links trying to eliminate that other knoxking noise I mentioned, to no avail so far.

#10 ·
Mine is at about 126000 and something up front is squealing/squeaking. It sounds like a loose rubber belt, or giant continuous squeegees on glass, and Honda recommended we replace the serpentine. I did that, but it changed nothing. The noise appears mostly in daytime, ALWAYS between 50 to 70 mph. It goes away faster or slower.

Is this wheel bearings?

#12 ·
No belt tensioner replacement. Sound occurs in Drive and in Neutral as long as at 50-70. Tried with AC,Heat,Recirculate on & off and no change. Checked air flow intake for crap, and removed filters, just another test for when I drive home from work.

#16 ·
Take it up to 70, put the transmission in neutral, and let the engine wind down. If the noise continues (and its frequency lowers gradually as the speed decays), you can rule out the engine as the cause. Alternately, try to make the noise while revving the engine at a standstill. That also would provide confirmation one way or the other.

#17 · (Edited)
I did that Drive>Neutral once at 70mph and and the noise continued. I will double check today. It doesn't quite "fade". Closer to ~50mph and ~70mph there is less, but between ~52 and ~68 all sounds the same. Poor explanation, I know.

I'm not sure how much to rev at standstill. In Neutral or Park? How long?

*corrections in red

#19 · (Edited)
Confirmed: Went up to 70, went Neutral, sound continued down to ~50mph. Tried this also giving a little gas, and hitting a little brakes. No difference between three tries.

Sound occurs 2k-3krpm.

I put in Park, and in Neutral, revved up to 3k. No sounds for either.

Someone else suggested it was air leaking in under windshield. I taped off the lower edge and folded over. No change in sound.

I replaced the AC fan today, because it died recently, and no change. I didn't mention because I had the sound with dead fan installed, and with dead fan removed, and now with new fan still have it.

I also removed all lower windshield trim, and still get the sound.

I even tried running wipers during sound, and no change.

#20 ·
OK, now we know it's not the engine. If gently turning the wheel or touching the brakes makes no difference in the sound, then it's more likely to be aerodynamic. You could try taping over the entire perimeter of the windshield. If that stops the noise, remove tape from one section at a time.

Any chance you could post a sound file?

#23 ·
This may not be as easy as it sounds, but maybe you could go out on a windy day, and compare the sounds while driving back and forth with a tail wind vs. a head wind.

It's hard to tell where the sound is coming from, but I would possibly also systematically tape up different body panel gaps, use gaffer's tape or masking tape. Maybe along the top edge of the windshield/roof. Hopefully something makes the sound change.

interesting...

#25 ·
Yeah, not likely to get any highway doing full speed in 2 directions at once in LA. I'll try it if I get the chance.

Bottom of windshield already taped. Still have noise.
Sides taped today. Still have noise.
(I don't think it is coming from top, but will try taping tomorrow)
Sides of hood taped. Still have noise.
Front edge of hood taped. Still have noise.

Also try temporarily removing the cabin air filters for diagnostic purposes.
Already done. Entire air pathway is open. Still have noise.

Current ideas:
1. tape top of windshield and test
2. remove wiper arms
3. replace 2 front wheels/tires with borrowed and test
4. remove entire hood on weekend and test. Maybe I can SEE something vibrating.
5. make a cardboard grill covers/blocks and test?
6. fill headlight gaps somehow and test
7. disconnect engine fan, secure blades, test

CRAZY ideas:
1. Any way to remove caliper or test without buying new one? See honda tech link I posted earlier.
2. Remove ALL front end cladding and test. Giant pain I hope to avoid.

Any more?

#26 ·
#27 ·
I may have narrowed it down:

Folded down mirrors. Still have noise.
Removed wipers. Still have noise.

Taped top of windshield AND drove around without any AC for a while in daytime = NO NOISE! I'm going to double-check tomorrow.

#28 ·
We fixed it! We had the windshield replaced a while back, and whoever the dealer sent it to used a cheap rubber strip on the top edge of the glass. The black rubber/plastic strip is heating up in the sun (sound almost exclusive to daytime), then peeling back from the air flow at 50-70mph, and snapping back against the windshield glass. It's happening repeatedly and extremely fast, and making that horrible resonation on the glass that sounds like a rubber belt hitting something in the engine. We taped the front edge down, and the sound completely vanished. Days of testing and gone. Hopefully a different installer will use a different strip, and can install it without removing the windshield. Otherwise I will glue it down.

I'm not sure why the noise only recently started.

Sorry I posted all this in what is the wrong thread in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.