Honda Element Owners Club banner

Clicking/Popping front suspension

14K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  guyofthewest 
#1 ·
First off I want to thank everyone in this forum. I have learned so much and started fixing up my 2003 4X4 EX (126k miles).

With the help of this forum and some gumption, I was able to change all 4 shock absorbers assemblies, stabilizer links and the outer tie rod ends in the front. I did an alignment (trusted shop stated all newly installed part looked tight) and there is a night and day difference in handling. After changing out all the parts, I am still getting an intermittent popping/clicking noise when driving over bumps and a popping noise when making medium force turns (mostly left) or S turns. I have checked the CV axles and the boots are intact. I do not see anything out of the ordinary in the rack and pinion. I will say the ball joint boots look blown and I’m sure they need to be replaced. Would the worn ball joints give these types of symptoms? I also read it could possibly be the lower control arms.

Any advice is most welcome.

#4 ·
I hade the same issues, turning left and eventually upon take off even. It was compliance bushings for me. Did both front and rear lower control arm bushings and both ball joints. Problem solved!

#6 ·
I also had a knocking noise at all four corners, I did sway bar bushings and end links to clear that up

#10 ·
I’m still gathering information on the ball joint and LCA compliance/rear bushings replacement. I will eventually be replacing them, but since I will have everything disassembled, should I also replace the CV Axles. From what I have read, taking everything off to get to the CV axles is the hard part.

Any advice is most welcome

#11 ·
So after some driving and testing. didnt end up installing the endlinks the ones on there looked like they have been changed already. heard some noises when moving the tire side to side when it was jacked up. it sounded like a bearing from the top of the suspension. So i unbolted the suspension and sprayed wd40 in there. did some driving and the noise stopped. if it comes back sooner. im guessing to just grease it up. but if the problem persists i will just change out the suspension

#12 ·
was there a resolution to this issue?

#13 ·
MotownSballa;974010heard some noises when moving the tire side to side when it was jacked up. it sounded like a bearing from the top of the suspension. So i unbolted the suspension and sprayed wd40 in there.[/QUOTE said:
So where did you spray the WD-40? And when you say you unbolted the suspension, which part did you unbolt? Also, what kinda noise?

Thanks,
Aaron

#14 ·
This happened to me and I went CRAZY trying everything to correct it at great expense. Axles, etc.

Finally I went to the shop and had the mechanic put it on a lift for me. I am a former mechanic myself (long ago) and we went around with a bar, prying on everything to see if we could recreate the sound.

Low and behold it was a slightly loose bolt on one of the control arms. Tightened it up and never heard it since!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.