Honda Element Owners Club banner

Time to replace brake fluid? Also, brake recall

Tags
brakes recall
12K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Ratchet 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2007 E that just crossed its 3 year mark. I also just recently got one of the brake recall notices in the mail.

My question is, I read that Honda recommends replacing the brake fluid every 3 years. Should this be done? If I'm taking the E into the dealership for the warranty work, should I ask them to replace the fluid as well? (any guesses as to what this should cost?) My understanding from reading the forums here is that they do NOT replace the brake fluid when doing the warranty work.

I've never taken my E to the dealership here (Durham, NC - Crown Honda) as I've heard mixed things and have a shop I like..

Any advice? Thanks!

-K

#4 · (Edited)
I don't believe my brake fluid has ever been changed. I know that "inspect brake fluid" was on the list of stuff they did for the 20K "service" (so I would assume they'd say if there was a problem with it?) -- and I'm about to go in for the 30K service, and "inspect brake fluid" is on there again.

Do I need to specifically ask them to change it then? You'd think they'd tell you it needed it (especially since the manual says every three years).

(Or maybe they did chance it last time... but I don't think so.)

Thanks!

Note: I'm not part of the recall.

#5 ·
My 08 had 60k on it when the brakes were due to be replaced. I replaced all four and siphoned out the brake fluid from the master cylinder and replaced it. Then I took it to the dealer and had the recall work done. When they bled the brakes as part of the recall the fluid was changed. cost $0. (except for the brake job parts)
I understand the modulator needs to be active while bleeding the brakes and I can't do that.

#7 ·
You should. It's not difficult to do with someone in the car to pump the brake.

One thing that's a little unusual is the factory service manual suggest brake bleed sequence. It recommends rear left, rear right, front right and front left. That's different then the conventional wisdom of starting from the brake furthest away from the master cylinder....

B

#9 ·
Um, I went in under the recall too and they topped off the brake fluid to replace what was used during the bleeding but is that enough to count as "replace brake fluid"? The procedure only allows for one bottle of fluid and they don't even use the whole bottle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.