Honda Element Owners Club banner

Ignition switch fails miserably

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  iopsailor 
#1 ·
2005 Element
Mechanical failure of the ignition switch lock.
Not rebuildable.
Tow to dealership
Replace ignition/immobilizer to the tune of 530$

I am going car shopping soon, a Nissan Cube looks fun!

#6 ·
Wow, that sucks.

Thinking back, would you still have gone to the dealer even if a locksmith told you they could fix it. The reason I ask is because I've had a lot of lost calls recently because people insist on going to the dealer. They seem to think all we do is unlock cars.

cheers
Pierre

#7 ·
Dealer comes through with some comp

So here I am trying to be really annoyed and the service manager at Cardinal Honda talks Honda into providing the part gratis, I am out the labor but my bill came to $280 instead of $530, considering it's 4 years old and out of warranty it was a very pleasant surprise.

Not the first time the service guys have hooked me up like this , so if you are in Southern New England you might want to check them out (Groton, CT)

My locksmith buddies told me it was not rebuildable but I did get a look at the assembly and it reminds me of coin op laundry equipment -lots of die cast metal etc.
It had to be a real pain in the *ss to remove because the key itself would not turn.

I am still gonna look at a Nisssan Cube when they come out, but might not be in such a hurry to replace my element as long as gas stays cheap.

#9 ·
ignition cylinder

Well you're getting as bargain. My 2005 E is at Rick Hendrick Honda right now getting the cylinder replaced for close to $800 bux, including towing and reprogramming the key. They'll probably charge me for diagnosis too, tho I told them what was wrong. I didn't call a locksmith first but talked to the local Honda independant mechanic and he couldn't do it.

They also offered to replace the driver side lock cylinder for another $240 but I read on another Honda thread I could install the remote switch for around $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.