Honda Element Owners Club banner

Wiring issue

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  GRNDHOG 
#1 ·
I've towed only once with this car a few years ago. It had a factory hitch installed when I purchased the car (used)

When I towed before, the lights worked fine. It was a Home Depot trailer and they verified before I could leave.

I bought a boat yesterday, and it uses the same flat 4 plug. I have running lights, but no blinkers or brake lights.

I plugged in a tester and it confirms the lack of blinkers. Not sure if it does brakes or not.

So, before I rip apart the lights on the trailer, I want to fix the wiring on the car and make sure the tester shows everything is good.

Any tips/ suggestions on where to start?

#2 ·
Steel wool and die-electric grease. I've had this issue several times, and (even tho there is a recall for my '07 for the wiring), several times it boiled down to a a bad connection. Clean ALL your contacts (on BOTH sides), apply the grease (lightly), then try the connection again. Hopefully, this will solve your issue..... :shock: :razz: :)

#4 ·
Tiny, flat-head (or jeweler's) screwdriver should do the trick. Just make sure you get all the residue out before plugging it in....:shock: :razz: :)

#5 ·
CRC QD Contact Cleaner (03130) is faster and easier. Afterward, apply dielectric grease and when the connector isn't in use, put a connector cover on it:

#9 ·
Okay, I "scrubbed" the contacts and added some dielectric grease. Still no luck. Only tail lights.

Think I should try the new plug route? I'd hate to cut the wires unnecessarily...plus have another point that can fail.

Edit, I tried the trailer lights with a friends truck and they all work appropriately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.