Honda Element Owners Club banner

Some mods/improvements(pic heavy)

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Alaskan_Toaster 
#1 · (Edited)
when i got the pug i figured i could use it to go camping and what not. so, i started lurking on EOC and getting ideas for a sleeping platform and then i started noticing armrests and center consoles. as i was building the platform and test fitting it i could see that the spare tire cover was bowing down pretty good and that gave me the idea for the new cover. since i had a new tire cover i thoguht it would be cool to make it a table too, hence the legs. i wanted the platform to be able to stay in the pug if need be, transportable and installable by one person which meant it would have to be foldable. the center console has multiple uses; its a drink holder... at the proper location instead of down where the dog can get to it(ask me how i found that out :) ), its got storage inside, behind the cup holders and underneath where the e-brake is. i would have seriously considered taking the console most of the way to the woofer but my OCD wouldnt allow me to use the tranny for the e-brake because the shifter wouldnt be even(in gear instead of in neutral). the console also doubles as a support for the sleeping platform. the platform is about 16ish inches tall which allows for crates underneath for storage. it is 53.5 inches wide and 74 inches long. its made of 3/4" particle board and reinforced with 1x2 whitewood. it is strong enough for me and my son both and we are each over 200#. please let me know what you think and any suggestions you might have.

Vehicle Car Car seat cover Car seat Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover Center console

Vehicle Car Minivan Trunk Family car

Wood Furniture Gas

Product Automotive exterior Asphalt Vehicle Automotive wheel system

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
more pics of platform

grrrr, sorry for the double pics. this is the first time i have tried something like this(adding pics to a post). i thought i was deleting the extra pics but obviously wasnt... my apologies. :-(

Attachments

#4 ·
looks good man, i love all the sleeping platform ideas. i myself may try it eventually, but i don't think rolling a mat down on the floor of the element would be that bad. i guess i'll have to try it and see. i've slept in an ef sedan before so the element is like a ****ing ritz carlton.

#6 ·
First of all. NICE!

Now that that's out of the way, two questions. 1. How accessible is the E brake? And 2. How difficult would it be to upload a blue print for the console? I would love to use it as a reference :D

#7 ·
Thanks for the compliment. the armrest turned out pretty much the way i envisioned it. as for the "blueprint" i hope you arent disappointed with it, alot of what i do is on the fly, adapting to the circumstances. the e-brake is a bit difficult to get to the way i have it cut out but i can make the slot bigger, just havent yet... i was in a hurry to get in the car because it was holding up the completion of the platform. please dont make the same mistake i did and put the carpet on BEFORE you cut the e-brake slot :). if i had to do it again, i would make the inside part longer and have less shelf behind the cup holders. the cupholders came from autozone. they were part of one large contraption that slid between vehicle seats. i got the dremel out and adapted them. also, the inside of the cup holders were too small at the bottom for the typical cup i use(mcalisters sweet tea) so i raised up the center portion with leftover carpet and put carpet in the inside edge to take up the excess room.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.