Honda Element Owners Club banner

Plasti-Dip Removal - Hint

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  burtch07 
#1 ·
So we all know that Plasti-Dip is great and we love the results for the price. Well I took mine off 2 of my wheels last night and came across a little problem.:x I didn't think about all the small hard to get spots and the little screws all around the wheel. They are very hard to get to and dam near impossible to reach when the dip doesn't make a clean rip. The 1st wheel took me a little over an hour of pealing and getting my homde plastic tool into the screws and lip of my rim. I then suddenly remembered that about 2 months ago I tried to get the matte black a shiny black and sprayed some Tire Wet on it. I remembered what happened next:grin: Something in the Tire wet and Tire shining products breaks down the plasti dip into a mushy very removable dip. It almost melts the dip and was very easy to remove from all the little nooks and crannies. I'm doing the other 2 wheels are going to be done tonight and I'll take pics of my experiment in action. The 2nd wheel took only 30 minutes. Just a lil helpful tidbit

#3 ·
Great tip, thanks

#5 ·
Leaving your tires "greeezay" will not affect plasti dipping your wheels. In fact it prevents the plasti-dip from sticking to your tires if you spray your wheels with the tires mounted. Just make sure the wheel itself is not "greeezay."

If you use a good tire shine in moderation it should stay put on your tire and not travel to your wheels.

#6 ·
Exactly!! I shined my tires everytime with a tire shaped foam doo hickie and never had a problem. When you spray the tire shine DIRECTLY ON the dip then the transformation or melting occurs. To make it even easier just saturate it real good in tire shine and you'll notice it wrinkles up and starts to dissolve. Like I said this is for the really hard to get places. I ripped it off normally on most of the rim but in the nooks and crannies I used this method

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.