Honda Element Owners Club banner

Seat rock (2003–06) / TSB 03-032

248K views 247 replies 132 participants last post by  Shorton 
#1 ·
:( Does anyone else have this problem? When I take off from a stop....the seat rocks back, then when I come to a stop the seat rocks forward!!! It is really annoying!!! I have taken it back to the dealer and they checked it out...nothing loose. We checked out another E in the lot and it did the same thing. The service guy said that the new accords do it also...something about the seat adjustment needing to have 'play'? :(

Please tell me that I am not alone!:mrgreen:

[moderator's note]
TSB A03-032 Driver's seat rocks 11/03/06

Attachments

#235 ·
The dealer told me that the rocking "feature" was designed into the seats. As it gets worse, I will keep taking it back for them to assess the "feature". What a load!!!

Dealer is a liar, Honda recognize problem, they have a fix for it, I’ll look it up. I had problems with drivers seat repair ending up buying second bottom seat, so I could have one repaired while I was still driving, I noticed the seat rocking, then new bottom didn’t.

#6 ·
TSB-03032.

Here's the problem: They just reuse the same parts - just like the CRV. It's not a fix, there's nothing new or differently designed. They take off two bushing and a spacer and install the same parts.

The CRV had the exact same problem and they reused that mechanism on the Element.

The TSB says "WORN-BUSHINGS" - now, how in the HELL do bushings get worn in 900 miles?

Honda needs a fix. This is just a temporary patch. I guess they figure you'll get tired of taking it back. I traded in the CRV, but they never came out with anything permanent for it either. The rocking reoccured in the CRV and Honda knows it will here too.

#8 ·
I work for Honda; this bulletin affects ALL Elements. Some owners may experience problems, others may not. I've had mine done. I weigh close to 300 lbs, and the problem has not re-occured in mine. The parts for the bulletin are nothing more than bushing/spacers that take up the slack and make it more firm. The same issue has also been found on the Civic. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
I printed out the technical service bulletin from Honda about the rocking seat and took it to the dealer.I asked them why I could get repair information from Honda but they could not.I thought things were settled but then the service advisor told me he was not sure that was going to fix the problem.Now two days later they agreed to try the repair but did not think that it was going to help!Is this is Honda's idea of service ?I still really like the vehicle but this quite annoying!

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a suspicion, however, that unless your dealer is completely hopeless, the work they do will fix, or at least reduce, the problem.

The "...but [he said they] did not think it was going to help" sounds like a cover-your-ass move by the service advisor. In other words, they're implying to you that the first time they looked at the problem, it didn't appears to be one fixable by this method that they obviously know about. They'll try this method but still don't think it'll fix the problem.

Yeah, sure...

And if it doesn't, tell them to fix it again anyway! Under warranty! Because, the seat should be bolted down!

-brendan

#11 ·
I got mine fixed during a service visit (they knew about the TSB and said they fixed it). They did fix it but the fix didn't last but more than 3 months or so. It's starting to rock again. I get the feeling that this is going to be a chronic problem. I don't feel unsafe, but it's one of those annoyances with a new car like the brake clicking when going from reverse to forward and vise versa.

#12 ·
My E has had the rocking seat problem almost since day one. I took it to my local Honda dealer. One of the service guys told me "all of them do it" and then took me around the lot and sat me down in several E's to prove it (they all did it). I told him it was all well and good that all of them do it, but that's not my problem and that's not an acceptable answer. I showed him the TSR (he originally denied there was one, but caved immediately when I produced my hard copy), and then he scheduled me in for the fix.

The fix reduced but didnt eliminate the rocking, and after a month it was as bad as ever. I called and spoke with someone at American Honda, who was cordial and efficient in his followup with the dealer, and I am now waiting for my next appt, when I expect the dealer to "try something different" than just what's called for in the TSR (perhaps an extra bushing spacer or two?) They also suggested they might replace the seat rails and I said fine, do it, but I'm not expecting that to make any difference, since I dont think my seat rails are defective in the first place. I'll post my results here after my next appt.

#14 ·
That is the problem with the fix in the TSB. The bushing is replaced with the same part.

Nothing is being corrected, you're just getting a fresh start.

I had a buddy with a CRV and he's gone through 4 sets now.

Honda used the mechanism from the CRV when it had a KNOWN problem.

Bad decision.

#15 ·
My Element is rocking ... again... only about 7,000 KM after being fixed. The result is a lot of discomfort in downtown traffic. For long road cruises, it is fine.

It's one of those small things that ruins the whole experience.

Dave

#16 ·
I took my E in yesterday to have the seat rockin' checked out and they told me that it needed a new seat track assembly. The part number is 81536-scv-a51.
Does this sound right? I want to be sure they get it right.

#17 ·
Hello out there! Thought I'd revive this thread a little:

During my first servicing a couple months ago, I had the TSB performed for the rocking seat issue - and like everyone else, it only remedied the problem for a short while - like a week.

So it's back at the dealer as we speak - and guess what? I'm getting the same damn line - 'All Elements do this'. The service advisor pretty much said that he went out to the lot and tried out three other Elements - and they all have the same seat rocking issue.

I find it unacceptable to have a problem like this - on a Honda - that 'cannot be fixed'. What's the next step folks? Should I file a complaint with Honda directly? What about the ol' Lemon Law approach?

...Rockin' Away....

-D

#21 ·
I had the service fix performed on my E for the rocking driver's seat in April 2003 and now I must return to my dealer 20,000 miles later to have it done again. I'm not happy about this especially since the dealer seems to think that this is normal and right (I disagree). 8)

#22 ·
I had my seat fixed in may 2003....All was good till the other night when i noticed after a hard stop that it was rocking again....The bushings that are used are very thin and despite Honda updating them last year i have a feeling this wont be the last time i have to have it fixed.

#23 ·
I had a slight rock and the dealer said don't put it in the all the way postions. Load the seat adjustment a little to minimize rocking. It didn't eliminate it totally but I stopped thinking about it. Therefore it does not bother me anymore. It was the forums that made me look for it. Paranoid.

For those who think it is an issue there is a TSB calling for plastic bushing replacement. However, the plastic bushings are not a good answer. They just get worn down. I think solid brass ones that fit tightly or crush in is a better way. Do I get credit for this?

#24 · (Edited)
Re: Rocking Chair

It's an easy fix, but the problem is that Honda replaces the inadequate plastic bushings with identical inadequate plastic bushings. Heavier drivers, rock 'n rollers, etc., will damage the bushings sooner than average.

Real solution would be improved bushings: bronze or perhaps even roller bearings. Would require drilling the links and track frame, and pressing in the improved bushings. (Future project!)

#25 ·
Re: TSB 03-032 - Honda Element Rocking Seat

anyone try performing the work yourself? our element is out of warranty (65k miles) and the three dealerships in the area are not willing to perform the work under "Goodwill".

on a side note, i've contacted honda NA and asked them if they can perhaps do something for us considering that we've owned over 15 hondas and are obviously loyal customers. they pretty much slammed the door in my face and told me to deal with it. this, along with the stupid issues with my integra ITR and S2000 with honda NA have made me decide to never purchase another honda ever again. :(

#26 ·

I got a used Element and the driver seat was rocking a little. I fixed the problem myself. It was just a little tricky to open the 2 plastic covers on both side of the seat. After that, you just tight up the 4 big nuts(2 on each side) really good and that should solve the problem. I am feeling much better when driving the E after the problem was fixed. :grin:

#28 ·

ramblerdan said:
It sounds like ElementTTF approximated part of Honda's fix by tightening the rear mounting stud nut. Honda recommends adding three spacers to the stud; I can't say whether just tightening the nut is a good fix or not.
I did not realize that Honda recommended this....I had to put spacers under the back of the drivers seat since the seat was rubbing on the floor....I thought it was big-butt disease that caused it.

#29 ·

trickyvick said:
I did not realize that Honda recommended this....I had to put spacers under the back of the drivers seat since the seat was rubbing on the floor....I thought it was big-butt disease that caused it.
Adding spacers between the rear mounting stud and track frame per TSB 03-032 is unrelated to shimming the bottom-rear mounting brackets on the floor. Your seat could have a problem that merits inspection by the dealer.

#30 ·

I had my seat fixed 3 times now, once at 15 k, 35 k and recently at 65 k. Everytime was done under warranty. More than likely I wiil be putting in another claim for the seat at 100 k since that is when the term ends. It's a known Honda problem I hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.