Knowing When to say NO. - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Activities > Off The Beaten Path....

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
DrTARDIS
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Send a message via AIM to DrTARDIS Send a message via Yahoo to DrTARDIS
Knowing When to say NO.

For those of us that love getting our E dirty, there seems to be an issue of how far to take it. We all know the E is not a rock Crawler but other than that when do you look at a trail and decide that is it too severe?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Sprunch
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD EX AT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

Gas tank scraping ruts and big rocks.
74 Vespa Rally 200
66 Sears Blue Badge 150cc
64 Lambretta 200cc
58 Allstate 150cc
Sprunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Twilightzero
EOC Rank: Sulfur
2007 4WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprunch View Post
Pretty much the same here. And after getting stuck last year and having to get dragged 100 yards backward through the mud by a 4WD dually tractor, I added "in a low area near a creek in the spring"

"Always use protection, be it latex or legal"
-Twilightzero

Join Cap'n Twirate's EOC Bucanneers!

Mods: ASA JS6 rims, Nokian WR-SUV tires, DIY roof rack, DIY Dog Platform, Curt Class III trailer hitch, Char Griller Super Pro Trailer Hitch Grill, Infinity 6022si Speakers, Shen's Side Marker Turn Signals, Leather shift boot, K&N filter, RoadRunner 34/78 Monster Battery, Home Depot Grill

Last edited by Twilightzero; 12-28-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Twilightzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
rojogan
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 4WD EX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprunch View Post
That's pretty much my guide, too!
Injen SES Exhaust & CAI, Steelcraft Grille & Brushguard, Side Steps and Tail Light Guards, OEM Carpet Floor Mats, OEM Driver Side Armrest w/storage, OEM Cargo Cover, 225/75-16 Yokohama Geolander H/T S Tires(from Discount Tire), Sunshade from Doodelement(Thanks!), WOW Wood Dash Kit(actually looks pretty good!), WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors. Let's see, what's next.......!?
rojogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Clearance is the biggest issue. I have stopped to remove rocks from the roadway. I have also stopped and examined the ruts, with an eye for 'can I straddle them'.

I have turned back at big mud holes; but I have also made a run for it, hoping that momentum (and RT4WD) will carry me through (so far, I've been lucky).

Other cases I have put the front wheels into the slippery spot, and backed up a bit to test whether the rear ones still have traction.

In another case I encountered a spot of muddy construction. As soon as I felt the tires loose traction, I stopped and scouted, finding out that the mud, while not deep, was very slick, and sticky. Fortunately I was able to back on to solid gravel.

More often than not, I turn back when I encounter old snow. I learned my lesson in the RAV4 that trying to power through an old drift is a good way of getting stuck, with all wheels off the ground. Also in old snow it is hard to maintain directional control. So I don't risk snow on mountain shelf roads.

Another consideration - where can I turn around. It is better to stop and scout on foot where I can turn around, rather than have to back up a long ways. Fortunately the E has an amazing turning circle, so it doesn't need much of a widening to make a 10 pt turn.

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16
Picasa photos
Tire Size Calculator
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Twilightzero
EOC Rank: Sulfur
2007 4WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Oh yeah, and be SURE to turn off VSA when you're going to be driving through mud/snow! The loss of momentum when you start to spin and it cuts your power will kill you on the spot!

"Always use protection, be it latex or legal"
-Twilightzero

Join Cap'n Twirate's EOC Bucanneers!

Mods: ASA JS6 rims, Nokian WR-SUV tires, DIY roof rack, DIY Dog Platform, Curt Class III trailer hitch, Char Griller Super Pro Trailer Hitch Grill, Infinity 6022si Speakers, Shen's Side Marker Turn Signals, Leather shift boot, K&N filter, RoadRunner 34/78 Monster Battery, Home Depot Grill
Twilightzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
MikeQBF
Moderatorium
2008 4WD EX-P 6MT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Obvious mud deeper than 4-6", esp. when it gets deeper as you move along. A too-frequent find on country backroads here in the Midwest. I've always managed to make the decision just in time to still be able to back out of the muck.
MikeQBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
BraveLittleToasterLX
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Send a message via MSN to BraveLittleToasterLX Send a message via Yahoo to BraveLittleToasterLX
I love this thread.

My latest escapade got me stuck up to the [H] sign in the front in LAKE MUD.
I wasn't about to take Shark-E through THAT much mud, until my friend though it would be "cute" to put all his weight on my right leg, which the connected foot was on the gas pedal. :0 thank God for Chevy trucks and rednecks that will just laugh at you and pull you out of the stick. :(

Tricks: 12" light bar inside top nook above glovebox, various mud spots, Igloo Koolmate 36 MiniFridge, Backseat mat from a Mitsubishi Eclipse (Eclipse trunk mat fits great!), Stinky hockey skates and quads in clam-shell trunk.
BraveLittleToasterLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
ReaperZune8
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Send a message via MSN to ReaperZune8
been there done that... see my pics from when i got hi centered on a culvert... btw that was ALL clay mud... Thank god i was back home with plenty of farmer friends to yank my sorry *** out

Track Your MPG Now
I WANT IT ORANGE (aka The Orange List)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbElement View Post
"We both know you can do the $77 rate so lets just pretend you found the promotion and sign me up."
ReaperZune8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Activities > Off The Beaten Path....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.