Want to add 12V output - Driver side - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
canadianelement
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX AT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

Want to add 12V output - Driver side

I've seen some of you who've added a charging cable near the drivers side but I am looking for directions on how?
I need to power cables to come out between the steering and the fan control so I can use it for charging my phone and gps [yes i still use a standalone gps, sometimes]. I am tired of running it from the 12 volt outlet from the other side to the driver side, doesn't look good. I like it to be clutter free.
Any directions or suggestions.

Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, HID's, LED's inside,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by canadianelement; 03-17-2017 at 05:04 PM.
canadianelement is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
MarkMN
2008 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

I installed a couple charging points in front of my cup holders. Not where are wanting to put them, but it's a nice central location. I found a spot on my fuse panel that was off with the ignition, ran a fused pair of wire under the floor mat, drilling a couple holes and installed the plugs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
2008 Honda Element XE - Added Honda fog lights/modded to work with high beams. Upgraded speakers to Polk DB651's. Added extra 12V & Double USB power points. Plasti dipped my rims. Added Honda mudflaps. LEDed the reverse lights.

USAF retired 1983 - 2003
MarkMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
canadianelement
2005 4WD EX AT

Hidden cable

Thanks @MarkMN for sharing your setup.
I am trying to have the cables hidden as much as possible behind the dash.
I know where I want them[as shown in the pic], I just dont know which cable to tap into, I am basically looking for wiring help as I am not sure where or how to add an additional power supply, I am terrible with electrical.

Mods:
, HID's, LED's inside,

Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
lizzurd
Moderator Eh?
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

Everything you need to know including where to tap in for power is included here:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...?t=4179&page=6
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
guzzielement
2007 4WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Maybe figure out where you want the outlet to be...then use the existing 12V's wires (appropriately extended) to that location? Then - no need to wire into the fuse panel.
guzzielement is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
lizzurd
Moderator Eh?
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzielement View Post
Maybe figure out where you want the outlet to be...then use the existing 12V's wires (appropriately extended) to that location? Then - no need to wire into the fuse panel.

An add a circuit can be used with with out having to tap into existing wiring.
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
canadianelement
2005 4WD EX AT

This is where I want it.
I also want all the cables to be hidden behind the dash.
So should I still run it from the 12V from the passenger side? or could I just run it from the fuse box right below the steering?

Mods:
, HID's, LED's inside,
Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Crankypants
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

You can do it either way. The method might depend on how much current you plan to run on the thing.

ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
canadianelement
2005 4WD EX AT

Add-a-fuse amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblerdan View Post
You can do it either way. The method might depend on how much current you plan to run on the thing.
I think I will go with add-a-circuit. I am planning to run an iPhone charger and a gps, should I be looking at a certain fuse amp for this or could I just use any available slot?

Mods:
, HID's, LED's inside,
Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #10
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Crankypants
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

> should I be looking at a certain fuse amp for this or could I just use
> any available slot

Depends on whether you want it to be always-on.

Power sources in the under-dash fuse box:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...d.php?p=681706
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?p=50201
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?p=71139

Add-A-Circuits, fuses, and UDFRB power
From FAQ / How To's > Honda Element - "How To" Archive and Information:
12V socket, adding
12V socket, rear, always on
12V sockets, front & rear, always on

More
Adding a power outlet (front)
Rear power outlet switch (relay operated vs always on)

ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.