Spring Lift & good spare parts - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Activities > Off The Beaten Path....

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
cursh
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Spring Lift & good spare parts

not sure if this belongs here or in suspension. please excuse my ignorance.

I've gotten budget approval for a lift. We've been doing some really remote hiking trails and have hit the limits of the E in it's current form (which is awesomely capable) Three weeks ago we had to turn back 5 miles into the fire roads because we hit a 5" deep sand bed stream that I wasn't interested in risking my way across.

Last weekend we made it to the end, but there were a couple of situations where I was worried about my gas tank and would have had a few additional options with a lift.

Right now:
I've got 235/75r16 DynaPro AT3s on et+6 wheels. That puts me about an inch higher than stock (much appreciated and the offset has no impact on lift,)

Two paths forward:
A:
3" CCM lift
Custom +300lbs rear springs (for towing) ~$275
B:
~1.5-2" custom spring lift from CCS ~$600?

Any idea how to figure out the maximum lift that the shocks can take without trial and error blowing out a bunch of shocks? Anyone have positive experience with another spring rate?

Short of talking my way into the back of an auto zone to measure denso knockoff shocks and comparing them against curb weights, what are my options here?
, bigger battery, dash mount for phone, rear hatch handle & lock, red dash and cluster lights, de-blued interior, Lincoln Town Car wheels with Hankook Dyna pro 225/75r16 A/T tires, LED cab over lights & hardwired bluetooth to factory EX stereo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1975 Honda CB360
1973 MGB
cursh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
cursh
2004 4WD EX MT

Question #2: What sort of spare parts would you keep on hand if you were regularly hitting up fire roads? We came back to a dead battery and luckily had someone else at the trailhead who could jump us. We've got a 600A jump pack on order. What else would likely fail on back roads?

Tie rod ends?
, bigger battery, dash mount for phone, rear hatch handle & lock, red dash and cluster lights, de-blued interior, Lincoln Town Car wheels with Hankook Dyna pro 225/75r16 A/T tires, LED cab over lights & hardwired bluetooth to factory EX stereo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1975 Honda CB360
1973 MGB
Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
partsbin
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX MT
Other

i used to carry in my truck full tool set, spare bearings, nuts and bolts, full size spare, aux battery, weeks worth of food, extra valve stems. road trip with lots of offroad for weeks at a time and the only thing that failed was a valve stem and a clutch slave cyl. i had a spare slave in my box too. but that was in a solid axle yota.

good you asked this question. i would like to know what fails on the elements as well and would like to pack accordingly for my next long trip. after i find an element of course.
partsbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
cursh
2004 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsbin View Post
i used to carry in my truck full tool set, spare bearings, nuts and bolts, full size spare, aux battery, weeks worth of food, extra valve stems. road trip with lots of offroad for weeks at a time and the only thing that failed was a valve stem and a clutch slave cyl. i had a spare slave in my box too. but that was in a solid axle yota.

good you asked this question. i would like to know what fails on the elements as well and would like to pack accordingly for my next long trip. after i find an element of course.
Is a CB a good call for being found on fire roads? Kinda thinking through the situation where we are the last ones out and we lose a tie rod or something. Never tried to get a hold of anyone out there in the wild on a CB.

1975 Honda CB360
1973 MGB
Old 03-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
partsbin
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX MT
Other

i had a cb but i never used it for help. i think that it would be better to have something rather than nothing though. i will probably install mine in a hidden location in the honda for emergency use. it is helpful when off roading with a group and you all have cbs

i dig the those lincoln wheels and at tires

Last edited by partsbin; 03-21-2017 at 01:23 PM.
partsbin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
cursh
2004 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsbin View Post
i had a cb but i never used it for help. i think that it would be better to have something rather than nothing though. i will probably install mine in a hidden location in the honda for emergency use. it is helpful when off roading with a group and you all have cbs

i dig the those lincoln wheels and at tires
Thanks! I'd been camping on craigslist looking at similar styles (80s supra and nissan Z buzz saws/ Infinity Q whatever wheels. The Lincolns seems to be the winners and were $80 for the set (+ powder coating)

1975 Honda CB360
1973 MGB
Old 04-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
eleMENTAL.
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursh View Post
Two paths forward:
A:
3" CCM lift
Custom +300lbs rear springs (for towing) ~$275
Isn't the CCM kit alone like $500?
eleMENTAL. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #8
cursh
2004 4WD EX MT

Full disclosure, I was going to get the $300 ebay knockoffs that the fella with the camo wrapped lifted element has been thrashing on forest roads in whatever part of the country he is from.

After looking at all of my options, I've ordered a front spacer kit for a ford. I'm not 100% sure it will bolt right up, but I'm willing to risk having to return it.

In the back, i'm pairing a slight custom spring lift with a urethane 20mm spacer kit for the element. The spring will also have an added 300lbs rear capacity and a 10% softer ride for a better fire road experience: I should net a 1 2/3" lift, which should be the difference I need in most of the situations I'd still be willing to try to crawl over a little something in an on-demand 4WD system on a unibody truck.

Risks:
1. Rear spacer uses second rate parts.
2. Softer spring rate makes element unwieldily in turns.
3. Ford kit won't bolt on directly.
4. Won't be able to find a rear sway bar for sale.

Pivots:
1. Check grade of press in studs against OEM, purchase higher grade hardware if necessary.
2. Purchase and install sway bar to steady rear sway
3. Manufacture custom aluminum spacer at work (TechShop)
4. Less excited about manufacturing this. May weigh the cost in time and materials vs ordering a new stiffer spring rate.

Thoughts appreciated. I'm sure I've overlooked some things.

1975 Honda CB360
1973 MGB
Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
eleMENTAL.
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Where ya' getting the custom springs? Also, the tire config you mentioned in the first post...is that in stock suspension config? Any rubbing? Was the offset necessary to fit those? Thanks
eleMENTAL. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
cursh
2004 4WD EX MT

I'm running 235/75r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM on wheels that are damn near 0 offset.

I had to pull the front wheel well liners and put helper blocks into my rear springs.

Springs are from custom coil springs

1975 Honda CB360
1973 MGB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Activities > Off The Beaten Path....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.