Replacing door lock cylinder - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Vadim Kin
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD DX AT

Replacing door lock cylinder

So I stuck the key in wrong and messed up my driver's side door lock so a key would not go in anymore. Time to replace it. Ordered a new one, had it rekeyed to my key, on to replacing it. The door panel came off in no time, but getting the spring clip that holds the cylinder in place, that took some major effort. The manual says something like "push on the clip from above with a screwdriver, and use a hook-shaped tool to pull on it from below". I ended up breaking off the lower part of the cylinder collar (with the aforementioned screwdriver), which gave me enough access to jam a nail in between the clip and the cylinder (while pushing on the clip from above), and then I could put a hook in and pull the clip out. Putting it back in was not bad once I understood that the cylinder goes in first, then the clip, not the other way around, and that if the clip flies off, it probably evaporates, one can only find it after finding out that it would take a dealer 4 days to get it.

So, the question is, is there a better way of doing it? In retrospect, seems like I should have drilled a big enough hole on the inside of the door and get to the lock cylinder clip from there.
Vadim Kin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
CaptMike
2005 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Not to my knowledge. The clip is what throws people for a loop. As the manual said, I normally push down on the clip and then hang the bottom with a piece of 3/32" welding wire (end bent as a Hook) and pull it down. It's a tight space and not much room to work.
CaptMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
Locksmith
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 2WD LX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Awwwww man, I wish you woulda told me. I could have sent you the wafers and you could fix it yourself. Was this before or after you got the key?
Locksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
korey.OMG
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX 5AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Send a message via AIM to korey.OMG
When I bought mine the dealership said the key was sticking and they replaced the cylinder but now I have 2 seperate keys one for the door and one for everything but the door
korey.OMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Vadim Kin
2003 4WD DX AT

Thanks, Pierre, I'll keep it in mind next time I need it. This happened before I got the key from you. It's when I was replacing the lock cylinder that I got to thinking that it's stupid to only have two keys. Speaking of, can you make a fully functional key?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Vadim Kin
2003 4WD DX AT

Corey, by now I know for fact that the dealership was just too cheap to have the lock cylinder they put in repinned to your key. It cost me under $30 to do at a local locksmith, I'm sure they could have had it done for less. When you buy a new lock cylinder from Honda, it comes with two keys, and they just figured, ah, good enough, he's just a customer.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Locksmith
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 2WD LX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Kin View Post
Speaking of, can you make a fully functional key?
yep... why for?
Locksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Some Mook
EOC Rank: Helium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim Kin View Post
Putting it back in was not bad once I understood that the cylinder goes in first, then the clip, not the other way around,
Actually, if you put a thin-walled deep socket (I use a Snap-On 14mm 3/8" drive chrome) into the cavity where the cylinder goes, the clip can be easily slid up into place. Then slide the socket out and the lock cylinder is "snapped" into place.

To each his own.

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Motorcycle Riding in West By God Virginia (not my website)

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...postcount=3415
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.