Motor Mount vs Transmission Mount Symptoms - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
andyf80
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 2WD LX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Motor Mount vs Transmission Mount Symptoms

Hi,

What are some of the indicators of bad mounts and how can one tell the difference between a bad motor mounts vs. a bad transmission mount?

Even if the mounts are not visibly cracked or broken - is it possible that they are just worn and still need replacing?

Are there certain mounts on the E that tend to go more often than others?

My Symptoms:
- slight bump/clunk when shifting from Park to Reverse
- noticeable shifts when crawling along (less noticeable if under harder acceleration).
- When performing the Brake & Rev test (in gear/drive & reverse) I do not see or hear any noticeable play in my motor mounts.
- When I rock the vehicle back and forth in drive I can see the transmission mount moving noticeably, but again I can't see any visible cracks.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!
andyf80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
andyf80
2003 2WD LX AT

ok -

I changed out my transmission mount this evening and WOW what a difference.

I got a $30 cheapo from rockauto. I wasn't positive that it was indeed the trans. mount that was causing my problems, but it is now shifting much smoother and more predictably.

At 117k my used mount was not noticably broken or worn when looking at it, but after getting it out of the car - it did have a small crack on each side and was pulling away from the bottom of the mount. High time to replace it.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Thanks for the update, Andyf80.
ramblerdan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Rob Dobbs
EOC Rank: Carbon
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

on the 03 EX I previously owned it had both motor and trans mount issues. When starting from a dead stop, you would hear a clunk and feel it as well. I swapped them all out, better safe than sorry.
Rob Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
andyf80
2003 2WD LX AT

It's probably one of those repairs that - even if nothing is broken - you'll still notice a difference in how it shifts. My wife thinks I have a sickness with my hearing things broken on the car.

I can also say that it's possible to replace the mount with out removing the air filter box, but it would have been much easier to get to the back side bolt had I gone that route. I replaced mine by only removing battery box/tray.
I also ended up removing both the mount and the engine bracket that the mount bolts to. You can probably get away with just unbolting the mount itself.

It took roughly 1 hr.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
andyf80
2003 2WD LX AT

I thought i'd follow up after replacing all 3 motor mounts today.
Unbelieveable difference!

After getting the old one's removed - they actually looked fine...small hairline cracks and overall just looked old/worn, but no severe cracks. At 118k I think they were just showing their age.

For all 3 - it took me about 2.5 hrs or so. This includes dealing with sub-standard aftermarket fitment issues (which I was almost expecting).

It feels SO good to have them done and it was money well spent!
no more clunking, weird vibrations, 'delays'between shifts etc.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
oneal36
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 2WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

Thank you all for the info on trans\motor mounts

Hello everyone.
The info I found here fixed my 05 Element I had just bought from a dealership. i noted the noises during the test drive, bought the car and the dealership fixed it at no charge. They had previously changed the front trans mount, but not the rear. After the change, gas mileage greatly improved, back to 21-24 MPG, and it purrs... It has 98K on it and still going strong! Now a query to all.. Which intake is the best for the price? Injen, K&N or aFe?
oneal36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
RedRory
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

I have been noticing a really annoying vibration/noise between 2/3 gear. I decided to change out one of the mounts like some people did on the EOC. The old mount did have noticeable signs of wear and a few hairline cracks. Wow, what a difference. No more noise!!!!!!!!!! I'm in no way a mechanic, and this was easy to do. I also used the Rock Auto part. Like others, I had a small fit issue, but nothing I couldn't make work. Thanks to the EOC for all the knowledge and keeping my E in tip top shape!
Attached Images

RedRory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.